"I'm not going to lie"

<p>I am asking you guys first, since I think of it as a somewhat "urban" saying, which often translates to URM or African American on college confidential. I like to think I got an "urban" start in life, not unlike LL back in the day, or more recently Nicki Minaj, since I grew up where they did in Queens. What do you make of folks who start with "I'm not going to lies"? Does that mean without that disclaimer, we should assume some would lie? </p>

<p>But seriously; what are you CC/black students up to these days?</p>

<p>It is kind of dopey. Mostly they mean, “I’ll be frank with you,” or at least that’s my interpretation.</p>

<p>Okay, thanks! </p>

<p>That was fast! I was just about to delete my silly post!
I mush prefer your interpretation…</p>

<p>Here’s another “urban” saying: Are you for real? Are your serious?
Did you really open a thread for this topic?</p>

<p>I feel it means that I’m going to say something that’s probably going to seem really mean.</p>

<p>I don’t think the phrase is always followed by something mean, but usually it’s something the person hearing it might get upset about. For instance, a friend misses out on a really fun night and they ask how it was. “I’m not gonna lie, it was sick.” </p>

<p>ETA: I’m not a student. So I could be totally wrong :)</p>

<p>It means, “I am not going to sugarcoat what I am about to say”</p>

<p>sugarcoat:make superficially attractive or acceptable</p>

<p>I saw a kid in therapy, who seemed to mean “I am going to be honest, even if it doesn’t make me look good”. Even thoug he was there because someone esle wanted him there, in that moment, he seemd open to the idea of change I thought that was pretty cool.</p>

<p>People covered the meaning of “I’m not [sic] gonna lie” pretty well, but if you are indeed from Queens, Shrinkrap, I promise you that the language has undergone some very dramatic changes. Being from Queens myself, I sometimes feel that I am speaking a second language. The phrase “ju aveddi” springs to mind (it comes from “you already know,” which was shortened to “you already,” which has now become the poor deformed phrase you see above).</p>

<p>We’re actually just a hot mess. #juhearddd</p>

<p>edit: and I just saw the shoutout to LL! Now there’s a man who knows how to age well.</p>

<p>-_-
Seriously, </p>

<p>its slang, not rocket science. </p>

<p>I’m not gon lie, blah blah blah</p>

<p>Its like, </p>

<p>“Yo but for real tho”</p>

<p>Or " Honestly, blah blah blah"</p>

<p>…nothing different…</p>

<p>MOVING ON>>></p>

<p>^But why you feelin so froggish? Yuh tuh facety for no good reason. Fall back.</p>

<p>ksarmand…kill it…</p>

<p>and speak english. People on here already think blacks are ignorant. Try to disprove the stereotype a little bit please</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>First of all, that comment was entirely uncalled for. I am speaking English. Clearly, you have no idea who I am, so I won’t tear your ass up online too bad, because we are ignorant when we refuse to check out others’ post histories. However, your laziness leaves much to be desired - look me up before you try to come at me.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Sugar bunches, do you know anything about statistics? The stereotype will not be changed because of an obscure individual’s actions on an online forum; therefore, it will not be disproved nor refuted because of one post I have made out of thousands. </p>

<p>Your comments are part of a more fundamentally problematic outlook that exists within our black communities. I’ll be back to discuss this further, but I will say that you need to educate yourself quite a bit more about the English language. I suggest that you read H.L. Mencken’s The American Language. Hopefully, this will put much of your ill-aimed, uninformed, psuedo-pendantic drivel to rest. If it doesn’t, however, I have a great deal more literature I can recommend to you.</p>

<p>

I can’t be the only one who recognized that ksarmand was using Caribbean dialect…</p>

<p>^Exactly. It’s Jamaican patois, to be exact.</p>

<p>First off, </p>

<p>That still is ignorant… Speak ENGLISH!</p>

<p>IDGAF where you are from or check out your post…tf. Sorry I’m not a regular member here like most of you and just have no lives and look at everyones profile to see who they are. I commented on your post cause you came at me…so kill it.</p>

<p>“tear your ass up”</p>

<p>OVER THE INTERNET REALLY NOW? Serious calm down. You sounded ignorant that my point and thats where I stand.</p>

<p>I’m not no damn sugar bunches to you, I’m sourpatch=D.
What did I do, to your black ass. Calm the hell down. One no one was talking to you in THE FIRST PLACE. I said my comment and moved on, YOU wanted to start something, so come on…LETS GO. If you really want to have a really immature internet fight like the rest of these dumb ass people on here, then go ahead.</p>

<p>Do I know anything about statistics!? I just said a simple little phrase and you want to elaborate, so please show me something, smart ass.</p>

<p>I never said no stereotype would change, but your just adding to it by being ignorant.I don’t know if you know this, but the internet is pretty important these days. And actions on here do matter, in some cases. Anyway thats a different story. </p>

<p>Oh wow…why did I even reply.-__-
I hope your not in college, cause if you are…you seriously have no life. Laziness…we are on the internet…dumb ass. WHO TF CARES!</p>

<p>You obviously have been on here too long. GET A LIFE.</p>

<p>Im done.</p>

<p>Ps. Chica…no one was realy talking to you, soo umm, I rather her point that out than you.</p>

<p><a href=“Who Ya Finna Try - Cristol - YouTube”>Who Ya Finna Try - Cristol - YouTube;

<p>I’m done. And by the way, you can’t spell.</p>

<p>ilovemyego (clearly), you need Jesus… or a reality check. This is not a private thread – anyone can post, babosa. :slight_smile:
Since “we are on the internet”, why are you so angry and ready to start a fight with her?
Also, your incessant bickering has nothing to do with the original post.</p>

<p>I have never heard anyone say “I’m not going to lie”. I guess it all depends on where you live.</p>

<p>The “I’m not gonna lie” question has clearly been resolved. So anyway, I didn’t know LL was from here. Nicki and “Fity” I knew, but not LL. That’s interesting.</p>

<p>Oh, ksarmand, wah gwan!</p>

<p>:D</p>

<p>[Hollis</a>, Queens New York City](<a href=“http://www.nyctouristguide.com/hollis-queens.asp]Hollis”>Hollis, Queens New York City)</p>

<p><a href=“http://www.digitaldreamdoor.com/pages/best_rap-timeline1.html[/url]”>http://www.digitaldreamdoor.com/pages/best_rap-timeline1.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;