I'm Not Racist, But...

<p>If you have ever encountered what I have, can't you just not stand when people of YOUR OWN RACE try to put you down just because you are trying to be successful in life by means of getting educated? I was born in a poverty-stricken area of Pennsylvania. The school district of this city ranks as the worst in the state. Because of my mom, who had me at 18 and raised me as a single mother, I have always had the drive to do well in school. When I attended majority black schools, which was for most of my life, I would be called a "nerd", "weirdo", "stupid", and the worst one, "white boy." Do they even realize what they are saying by calling me a white boy? That ignorant statement pretty much means that in order to be a competent human being who can actually speak the English language and read at and above my grade level, I have to be white. Now I'm called white for the "right" reasons (my personality, music preferences, and as a non-derogatory term). Now as a graduate of an excellent Catholic high school, it is a pure shame that only 10% of the kids that I grew up with in that district took the SAT. Also, only 8% and 3% in reading and math, respectively, can do the aforementioned work on par with their grade level according to Pennsylvania's state assessment. How come SOME people (it's definitely not all of them. This section of CC verifies that) of my own race forsake the value of education, and then put down the ones that actually do value education? The same ancestors that have fought for the rights of our race throughout the centuries would be seriously disappointed at the way some of the people in our race are today. </p>

<p>Rant over. All I can say is: I have my diploma, and I am college bound baby! I'm also ready for my future career in medicine!</p>

<p>Dealing with your own race is one of the true hardships of prejudice. But at the end of the day you must understand that some lucky gold dust was sprinkled in your direction, giving you an advantage that others do not have or appreciate. Also, lasting success will be pulling others up behind you. Just pulling yourself up is fleeting.</p>

<p>I will identify myself as positively gray (I.e. not subscribing to a particular race). It is your judgement call on the validity of my opinion. I personally don’t think that it does any good to descend into misanthropy and pessimism. I have seen many with similar circumstances to you take one of two philosophies. The first one is of disgust at the misguided priorities regarding education. These people detach themselves from their former surroundings. Others will try to win the acceptance of the aforementioned people. I believe an effective approach is a mediation between these philosophies. In order for priorities to change, it takes ambitious members from within a community (be it a community of race, nationality, or socioeconomic status) to set an example and challenge the community to follow it. However, these model individuals should not make excuses for those who fail to seize the opportunities to climb the socioeconomic ladder. Many people seized the rights granted to them by the advancements in the 60s and 70s. However, a socioeconomic bifurcation occurred. Those who got the short end of the stick during this bifurcation have lived in an environment not conducive to education and advancement for decades now. It takes a lot to holistically change such a status quo. But, like I said, I believe change is only achieved from within the community. Sorry if this opinion seems disjointed. But you may find this article interesting:
<a href=“http://maxweber.hunter.cuny.edu/pub/eres/SOC217_PIMENTEL/hwang.pdf[/url]”>http://maxweber.hunter.cuny.edu/pub/eres/SOC217_PIMENTEL/hwang.pdf&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>You, just like those who persecuted you, show a level of racial antipathy. </p>

<p>Your plight is real. It’s been going on for a long time now. It’s cultural. It’s a remnant of slave days. Divide and conquer. And you have fallen for it. </p>

<p>Be careful how you direct your anger. Right now, you hurt nobody but yourself.</p>

<p>Hmmm… OP needs some Ayn Rand in his/her life. </p>

<p>“Also, lasting success will be pulling others up behind you.” Well, those “others” have to be reaching to warrant my offering a helping hand. I, for one, refuse to help anyone who refuses to help his or herself. </p>

<p>“But, like I said, I believe change is only achieved from within the community.” Hmmm… who initiates that “change?” Certainty someone who is ostracized and ridiculed will find it hard to devote themselves to realizing such “change.” </p>

<p>“You, just like those who persecuted you, show a level of racial antipathy.”
Everyone does. </p>

<p>“Your plight is … a remnant of slave days.”
All else is superfluous. </p>

<p>Stop worshipping athletes, actors, and musicians. Bust teachers’ unions. Legalize marijuana. Make college an expectation. Then it’s halfway there.</p>

<p>I agree with you SO MUCH OP! Were almost the same person! I am a black female raised by a single mother with 3 younger sibling. I have low income and I worked really hard in school to get good grades. I have been called an Oreo (black on the outside and white on the inside). Honestly, It’s about staying humble and keeping the positive influences around you. Remember, getting better grades doesn’t make you a better person. A person doesn’t need a 4.0 to be a good friend. Don’t be angry at the people making fun of you, feel sympathy towards them. They will need it in the future.</p>

<p>Good Luck</p>

<p>Ya I hear ya! I jus ignore those that call me weird, nerd, white washed etc.
Even my besties have called me that but i let it go since they dont get it i guess.</p>

<p>This is exactly the root of the educational gap between the races — well that and the growing geographic segregation of the economic classes. There is a culture of discouragement of educational achievement that holds us all back. And ultimately the root of this culture is grounded in our race’s historical oppression. Don’t hate your race. It’s not their fault; its just a problem they have.</p>

<p>A man named WEB Du Bois argued that it’s our job, as future members of the top 10% of our community to help lead and guide the rest of our race to progress. We have to set good examples, devote our time and our resources, do whatever it takes to help out.</p>

<p>It’s not because we have any particular duty to our race — that, I believe is a racist idea in itself; our duty is to humanity. It’s because we’re the only ones capable of and willing to do it. Black youth are keenly aware of what people who look like them are doing with their adult lives and construct their own values and their own dreams from these examples accordingly, even if white people are just as available as role models. We have to have our names and our photos among the intellectual greats if we want them to feel confident that they are just as capable as kids of other races of joining those ranks, themselves.</p>

<p>Ignore the naysayers, but reach out to those who wish to follow in your footsteps.
Sometimes I wonder if blacks will always be this way. They probably will. :/</p>

<p>The nation is approximately 12% black. Hispanics are at 13%. The erosion of political and social and economic clout that comes with being the number 2 minority group is already here. The first black president spends more times attending the issues of the Hispanic community (votes) and the gay community ($$$) than he does on black issues (close to zero). </p>

<p>If another 12-20 million Hispanics get legal status, its over for the black establishment which means blacks fending for themselves without a voice in govt for the first time in decades. That cause some changes both good and bad.</p>