I'm slowly starting to lose hope.

When I found out about Rolling Admissions I realized that I still had a chance. I applied to Hawaii Pacific University, Southern New Hampshire University, Manhattanville College. All three rejected me, Granted I may not have the best grades. My freshman year I had great grades,I had all A’s and B’s. It was ridiculously easy. I assumed the same for sophomore year and neglected my homework assignments and my grades were awful for the most part, I barely passed AP Euro with a d, failed Chemistry miserably. I had never done bad in a science class until Chemistry I am just so awful at math. Somewhere in the midst of all that I was diagnosed with Audio Visual Perception disorder which explains why I am so awful at math.
Junior year my grades were a bit better but still not great, I got a D in Ap English, and did awful in algebra 2 the first semester before I got out. I also applied to University of Maine at Farmington and am waiting to hear back. I am currently finishing my application to University of Hawaii at Manoa as a last resort. Man, I also have ADHD. Could it be my failure to mention my real struggles in my personal statements that got me rejected? I even submitted I don’t want to have to settle for community college., and be around the annoying people that I spent most of high school ignoring. I am doing much better senior year, the first semester I got all A’s and one B. What if I get rejected to these last two schools, will that be the final straw? Or should I still apply for a few more? I only have one more college board college application fee waiver left. I really don’t want to give up.

Why don’t you keep an open mind about CC? Do well there and then go to a challenging 4 year college.

If you need fee waivers how can you afford the University of Hawaii as an out of state? Do they meet full need.

Saying that CC people are annoying on an application? I assume you put it differently?

There is a thread posted on CC of schools that still have openings.

" I even submitted I don’t want to have to settle for community college., and be around the annoying people that I spent most of high school ignoring."

So, did most of the people who annoyed you end up in CC?

You need to sit back, and take a deep breath.

What do you want to study in college?
How much money do you have available to pay for your education?
What is your GPA?
Did you take the ACT or SAT, and what are your scores?
Do you have teachers who can write good letters of recommendation for you?

If you don’t get into any college or university that you like and that is affordable just yet, it really, truly is ok to take a year (or more) off while you think about your longer term career goals and create a better application list.

Be glad you didn’t get into Hawaii Pacific. It’s a for profit school period and if I’m not mistaken with non accredited programs. You need to find your groove as in college you can’t have grades at that level and succeed. Better to attend CC and figure out how to do well there at lower cost.

For starters, don’t let the fee waiver determine anything. Compare to anything- like the price of a cup of coffee, much less the cost of a college education, they’re totally inconsequential.

Secondly, I’m one of those CC graduates. I have 4 siblings, and we all started at CC. I finished 2 years later, went on to a university, graduated on time, and had a job at graduation. Don’t be so quick to dismiss Community College.

What are you doing about the Audio Visual Perception Disorder? You say that it’s to blame for your lack of success in high school-- though it didn’t seem to hold you back as a freshman. But if it is holding you back, then what are you doing to prevent the same thing from holding you back in college? Are you working with someone to learn coping skills? My daughter has Auditory Processing issues, and she works with an audiologist. Who are you working with?

It’s not because you failed to mention your struggles, it’s because your grades were poor. Schools are academic institutions; they want to admit people who seem to indicate that they’ll find success. While you may very well be successful in college, the numbers you bring with you don’t indicate that yet.

What does your guidance counselor say?? In your shoes, I would be in her office the moment I got to school today, asking where I should apply.

I agree that community college is a terrific option especially for students who have had a tough time getting traction academically in high school for whatever reason, or simply because they can’t afford a 4 year college. The disdainful attitude is entirely unwarrented. You other option is a gap year so your (hopefully outstanding) senior year grades, additional maturity, and forthright explanation of your learning challenges (and how you’ve overcome them) can be factored into your applications next year. Grasping at educational straws to get in anywhere at this point is just setting yourself up for failure. And definitely get yourself into your guidance counselor’s office.

OP, you sound like someone well suited for community college. You need more time to get your fundamental academics in order and establish basic competency before any reputable, selective university will consider admitting you.

And where do you live? Why are you applying to schools in New England and Hawaii? You’re clearly not a candidate for merit money, so how are you planning to PAY for any of this?

Frankly, you strike me as the type of person who would be a prime target of predatory lenders and for-profit college admissions personnel. If you’re too proud to attend your local CC, how about finding one a little further from home where no one knows you?

^^^ Not a bad suggestion. Some CCs have residence halls so you would even be able to live on campus.

There are 4 year colleges with open admissions

Oh that was a typo I didn’t actually put that in my application.

What do you enjoy and in which areas do you excel?

I want to study Creative Writing. I took the Sat in December of 2014. I got a 440 on reading, 460 on writing. The math was awful, I’m kind of ashamed to share what I got on the math. Also I’ve done community service all four years, I’m a member of Interact. The total score is 1110 I don’t know my gpa off the top of my head. I did the Fafsa form as well, and I’ve found a couple of writing scholarships online that I’m considering applying for.

What i meant to say was that I even submitted a writing sample of some of my novel and the movie I wrote to the schools that required a writing sample, I though that maybe they might see from that I could have a chance, to do well in college and I do write as I way to remain calm and relieve my anxiety. For instance, classes that are loud bother me and sometimes I write poems as a way to cope with the nervousness.

There’s a terrific community college in New York State that is very much like what people imagine a 4-year residential college to be (with great dorms, clubs, etc.) But it’s a community college, so it’s open-enrollment and you can still apply & be sure to get in. And I bet none of the people you find annoying are attending. :slight_smile:
http://www.tc3.edu/
Here’s another one:
http://students.sunyocc.edu/index.aspx?menu=926&id=1798
They both have articulation agreements with 4-year colleges, so if you do well you can easily transfer to a 4-year.

The following colleges are within reach for you, are free to apply to AFAIK (so you won’t use a fee waiver on them) and are still looking for applicants because they miscalculated yield. If you send the commonapp very quickly (within the week), you could still qualify for admission and financial aid.
Alma College, MI
Barry University, FL
Cabrini, PA
Caldwell, NJ
California Lutheran,CA
Capital OH
Carroll MT
Chatham University- Pittsburgh (girls only)
Colby Sawyer, NH
Concordia Moorhead, MN
DePaul, IL (Chicago)
Drew, NJ
Eckerd, FL
Elmhurst, IL (Chicago)
Guilford, NC
Hofstra, NY
Juniata, PA
Kettering, MI
Lake Forest, IL (Chicago)
LeMoyne, NY
Lebanon Valley, PA
Linfield, OR
Longwood, VA
Lycoming, PA
Marietta, OH
Milikin, IL
Monmouth, NJ
Nebraska Wesleyan
NovaSoutheastern, FL
Pacific Lutheran, OR
Penn State New Kensington (not free to apply to)
Pennsylvania College of Technology
Randolph, VA
Rider, NJ
St Leo, FL
Salve Regina, RI
Shepherd University, WV (not free to apply to)
SOuthern Oregon University (not free to apply to)
St Catherine’s, MN, Twin Cities (girls only)
Stetson, FL
Trinity Washington- DC (girls only)
UN C Pembroke (not free to apply to)
University of Toledo
Wittenberg, OH

For fee waivers, print this, bring it to your GC to sign, and photocopy
http://www.nacacnet.org/studentinfo/feewaiver/documents/applicationfeewaiver.pdf

Did I miss a post somewhere? I still don’t understand how he’s PAYING for any of these schools.

Like others said, you’re the perfect candidate for community college – although one would hope you’d shed that rotten attitude about “losers”. Your SAT is in the eleventh percentile – meaning 89% of all test takers did better than you. You need to face reality that colleges will be taking a risk with you – b/c you’re the sort of student that is definitely having to swim upstream and a high risk for not succeeding. Although you see yourself amongst the avg college student, your academic achievement hasn’t matched that – thus you have the great opportunity to start at a level where you can build up a solid GPA while saving money. Others have noted your remark about free applications. If you can’t come up w/the money for app fees, how are you going to pay for tuition and books?

Good luck to you.

The schools I listed indicate they still have financial aid.
Community College, even TC3 with dorms, is rather “cheap”.

I’m sorry you are having a hard time.

If you haven’t, educate yourself about your Learning Disabilities. Audio Visual Perception Disorder sounds like it may be similar to dyslexia. There are a surprising number of famous authors who are dyslexic or have an LD, and people with LDs can be very successful.

What about your ADHD? Seriously. Are you managing your ADHD?

Figure out, with help, what type of accommodations and educational support you need to be successful in school. Were you able to complete the SAT? It is a long and exhausting test. People with LDs that are documented properly receive extra time. Did you? Did you receive any help or accommodations in school? There are colleges that are very supportive. You need to attend one of them when you are ready.

Check with your local CCs about creative writing programs. There are many talented teachers at CCs. Concentrate on your area of strength. It seems as if you are flailing around looking for direction. Is there an older adult who can sit down with you and help you plan?