I'm SURE I speak for some students considering UW when I say...

<p>I'm a studious person, but I like to have fun as well. I've got lots of friends that party all the time, but I'm not that fascinated with the party scene --- I'll go to them but I won't get drunk or smoke or anything.</p>

<p>I need my time to study, and I'm determined to finish my 4 years as a very impressive candidate for a respectable med school. I know I'll have a hard time getting into UW's med school b/c I'm OOS (illinois), but I still need a comprehensive resume. </p>

<p>Is it hard to have a variety of good friends that do everything from hard-core studying to hard-core partying, or will I be stuck with in a cliquesh environment?</p>

<p>I've been wondering the exact same thing. I'm almost 100% sure I'm going to UW, though, so it won't make or break my decision =/</p>

<p>No, it's not hard at all. All of my roommates were planning on grad schools. We had two doctors, three lawyers, three MBA's. After the first year most people really have their own apts and don't go to the bars that much anymore. You should have a GF by then if you want one. Here are a couple of typical apt ads.</p>

<p>HELP!! My boyfriend and I have decided to get an apartment together, which means I need to find someone to sublet a room in a wonderful house with 5-6 other girls. </p>

<p>The 3-story house is located at 1705 Jefferson, just off of Regent near Topper's. 7 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, AND 2 kitchens.</p>

<p>Rent split between 7 girls is $450/month, AND you get a parking spot for free. I am willing to negotiate, so if you or anyone you know is looking for a place to live this fall, PLEASE contact me!!!</p>

<p>My friend and I are looking for a third roommate for our home for next fall. It's on East Washington, about three blocks from the capitol. I believe 5 buses go into campus, so even though it's a little far, it's not too far. Rent is $880 per month, divided by three people, that's only about $293/month. You would live with me, my friend Dan, and possibly my boyfriend. Thanks for looking.</p>

<ul>
<li>Tenant pays electric and cooking gas. Utility allocation of $40.00 per person per month for all other utilities. </li>
<li>Parking $75 surface $90 heated underground (or street parking)</li>
<li>Updated kitchens w/ceramic tile </li>
<li>Bright w/ a lot of windows </li>
<li>Coin operated laundry on site </li>
<li>Security locked building </li>
<li>Back Porch and Hardwood Floors</li>
<li>Please only caged pets.</li>
<li>Lease beginning 8-16-07</li>
</ul>

<p>LOL at the first ads. OP, it's not hard to find good friends from every corner of the world who speak every XYZ language there is.</p>

<p>I like this topic. I basically have the same career and social goals as nvk89 except I would say even more conservative. Anyways, it seems like a lot of non freshman live in apartments. Would you guys say they mostly live in the "University House" apartments or off campus ones in madison?</p>

<p>Off campus privately owned houses and apartments. The student dominated areas extend for blocks in every direction from campus. Choices include new luxury highrise buildings and funky old houses with everything in between. The UW apts are aimed at married grad students with kids.</p>

<p>Yeah, I choose Wisconsin, mainly because of its academic caliber matched with a good social scene. While I do like to party, I want to work as well and hopefully make it to Business school. </p>

<p>Maybe, we should all get together once we're in Madison!!!</p>

<p>Wisconsin is a large enough school that while there are partiers there are just as many hard-core studiers, and everything in between. Because of the size of the school you will find more of everything. I am currently a student there, and i am not a big partier. I have plenty of friends who go out every weekend, but I also have plenty of friends who prefer to work and then play. there is a great mix of people, you shouldnt have hard time finding people to relate with on a number of levels!</p>