Impact of Essays On Admissions (2008)

<p>How much of an impact did the essays have on admissions this year (particularly on UCLA and CAL)? I’ve always heard that the UCs don’t look at the essays to the same degree that private schools do. I’m planning to appeal UCLA and CAL, but I realized how mediocre my essays were. However, I do have “new and compelling” information that supports my appeal. Nonetheless, I am a bit worried that my essays will be the death of me. Will the essays matter a lot during the appeals process? Are they important at all during the review of an UC application?</p>

<p>They probably matter a lot more in the appeal process than in the normal admissions process.</p>

<p>The ability to present your case in a compelling and well written fashion will help you in every single area of your life, including your appeal. Write the letter and have it edited by someone you trust. Don't just write what you think they want to hear, but do tailor your writing to your intended audience. Be authentic and clearly state your case. BTW, my son got into Cal and UCLA and I truly think his essays had A LOT to do with his acceptance at both schools this year. Good Luck!</p>