Important lessons learned

:wink: Now I know you’re writing from long ago – even the STEM grad students are aware that these are ideals seldom spotted in the wild. They’re busy dispensing (a hundred years late) with the idea of objectivity now, they’re well aware of how individual interests and viewpoints control choices and judgments made in science, they know the nausea that comes with digging too far into “we know that” (the ground tends to evaporate under you), and the verifiability problems are well-known. It is, as the K-12 standards remind us, a human endeavor.

There’s lots that’s terrific about science, but this rhetoric of rationalism and stainless certainties isn’t really the stuff that makes it great, imo. Or makes it function. It’s good for claiming authority, but even that doesn’t work as well as it once did; the larger culture doesn’t support it.

2 Likes

This is not what we found, I’m afraid. LACs without very large endowments or religious support are on shaky ground, and their aid still leaves them costing thousands more per year than the state Us do unless you’re in PA or another very expensive state system. They’re also very tightly focused on one or two things because they have to be, or, worse, they’re not much good at anything. They also play a dicey faculty game, because their faculties are small – they’re stuck with the hobbyhorses they hire for decades, and no great variety of them. At a state U, you’ve got good flowthrough, less patchy coverage of more, and if you’re in a discipline that needs toys, probably lots of toys. Generations’ worth in various states of disrepair. Anyway. We found the LACs to be less interested in hooks than in cash.

It’s interesting watching that small-faculty-in-amber thing play out at the high school level. My daughter goes to the local public high school, which has a few English teachers, and they’re mostly of an age. Which means she’s been reading 1980s/90s Greatest Undergraduate Hits for the last four years. Nemerov, even. I didn’t think I’d see him on a syllabus again. They’re also possibly the last cohort to read “A&P”. I’m not saying they’re bad selections, mind, but things do go stale.

Now I’m really mystified. Why would anyone want to do a non-elite PhD when academia is vastly oversupplied with just the graduates of elite programs? Were those students ever targeting the “elite society defining” jobs talked about earlier in the thread? When was a non-elite PhD an engine of “upward mobility from middle/lower-middle/working classes”?

Isn’t the usual advice that you are wasting your time doing a PhD if you can’t get into an elite program? Hasn’t that been the case for a very long time indeed (at least since the Vietnam draft ended)?

4 Likes

The problem’s that many more jobs require advanced degrees (PhD and master’s) now, or hire them preferentially. So even if a kid’s not off to the White House, that advanced degree becomes quite important when it comes to “are you manager class or expendable contract-worker class” and other more job-specific questions, also “can you get licensed”.

You do a non-elite PhD rather than an MA or MS or M__ because few will pay you to do a master’s degree, but most will pay you to go after a PhD. So if you join a PhD program and bail or fail at comps or equivalent, you’re still leaving with a master’s degree, but without the six-figure debt for it.

I should also say that for teaching at non-elites and CCs, elite grad degrees are not necessarily a great thing. If you want to teach CC, I’d urge you not to go elite for your PhD. You’ll have a hell of a time understanding your students, your colleagues will find you draining to deal with, you probably won’t get the job in the first place because you’re trouble on legs in that context. A PhD from State U, or a master with a lot of pedagogy’s from Wherever State U, is probably your bet. Jill Biden’s U Del PhD: just right.

Mostly because of cost.

But with the internet, there are a ton of options available to someone driven that wouldn’t have been in the “good old days”. You could learn a lot online (I mean, MIT’s entire curriculum is online), get cheap yet solid online masters degrees from GTech, apply to join YCombinator.

Also, if you’re good enough, isn’t the Foreign Service selection test driven?

Now yes, if you are insistent on going in to a field where it is more difficult to judge ability, networking and connections matter and you don’t start off with money and connections. . . . well, I don’t know why you’re playing that game.

Seems like a good reason for why these programs won’t get much respect, if students are going in with the intention of bailing part way through, and only those who can’t find something better to do with their life stick it out.

And it seems we’ve moved on to the "manager class or expendable contract-worker class” (the sort of students who might be better advised to do a vocational/STEM degree?) rather than the “elite society defining jobs” (that you claimed were better off studying history).

1 Like

Before we talk anymore about CS and tech, YCombinator and the like, can we pause and acknowledge that these are generally, and unusually, hellish environments for women and BIPOC, and that discrimination is rampant to the point of driving top people out routinely? If we want to talk about sexism and racism in VC, boy do I have friends ready to vent about that.

To shove girls at YCombinator and not mention these things is like talking like these skills-gap people who don’t want to acknowledge that women who do push into trades are routinely harassed and physically threatened right back out, and have a hell of a time making money.

3 Likes

Take a step back from the classism and ca. 1980s assumptions, and you’ll see that people do this out of necessity, and that the programs tolerate it out of necessity. It’s what happens when you put gates up everywhere and make it exceptionally difficult to get through them without big bags of your own money.

There are many other reasons why those programs won’t get respect, btw, but a lot of them go back to money as well.

1 Like

Boy, aren’t you cranky. As a woman engineer in an engineering company in SV, I can tell you that my company is actively promoting women and minorities, and is very mindful of and reports on their representation every quarter. They make sure I am paid exactly as much or better than my male colleagues, and I feel very secure in my position.

6 Likes

To be fair, yes, it is terrible and unfair.
As is being from a poor family. Nobody chose to be from a poor family.

I’d like to level the societal playing field too (a stronger safety net would be helpful in that respect).
But challenges of some sort will never go away for most people, so it really comes down to how you deal with them.

In any case, being BIPOC/female in the US, unless you’re living in constant instability and crushing poverty, you still have it better than most of the humans on the earth.

2 Likes

That’s all true. There are lots of unnecessary barriers in US society, erected by incumbents to defend their turf and endorsed by naive politicians. Credentialism in particular is a huge problem. Who thought it was a good idea to require that childcare workers in DC should have a college degree?

But I thought your original concern was about barriers to super talented but unconnected kids not having access to “elite society defining jobs”? This thread won’t go anywhere if it’s just a litany of everything that is wrong in US society. And those problems certainly won’t be solved by just throwing billions of dollars at universities.

Arguably there might even be a case to concentrate the most talented students in elite institutions (honors colleges, top publics and privates) rather than dispersing them amongst “average state Us”. Then a solution could be outreach by the elite institutions to find those super talented students wherever they are.

That’s what is being tried in the UK, where Oxbridge actually wants to admit only the most talented students. I see regular messages in my social media feed about the outreach they are conducting in deprived areas, including the very impoverished town where I grew up. The problem in the US is that admitting the most talented students is not the highest priority for elite institutions.

4 Likes

In subjects where there is demand for PhDs in industry (e.g. engineering and CS), someone aiming for such a research job may choose to do a PhD (funded, of course). The backup, of course, is a “normal” job in that subject. (But note that many graduate students are international students, for whom graduate study in the US is an affordable way into the US, and a graduate degree is presumably helpful in getting a job and work visa afterward, compared to a bachelor’s degree.)

But in subjects where the only market demand for PhDs is academic, and there are hundreds of applicants for every tenure-track job, that does not look like a particularly attractive prospect.

2 Likes

You and I have a different definition of what science is. A conjecture or a hypothesis in science or math is just a reasonable speculation, but a speculation nonetheless, unless and until it is proven or verified to the full satisfaction of everyone working in the field. Physicists, for example, verified predictions from quantum electrodynamics to a precision within a few parts in a billion. Scientists also don’t pretend they know things for certain and in perpetuity. One of the most fundamental laws of nature is the Heisenberg uncertainty principle and science evolves as our knowledge advances. Anything that can’t be observed or isn’t verifiable isn’t science.

2 Likes

Well – as someone who used to use a lot of childcare, takes ECE seriously, and used to pay childcare workers well above market rate because the work deserves to be well-compensated, I’d say it’s an excellent idea. The problem isn’t that serious jobs require training and education. The problem’s that the ed’s inaccessible to far too many.

To be clear: I don’t think there are that many “super talented” kids anywhere. There are a lot of very bright and highly trained kids in some places, and equally bright and less-well-trained kids in others. But talent’s not that easy to come by. The problem I was talking about at the top of the thread had to do with the gating that prevents really quite good kids being able to get at society-defining jobs if they aren’t rich and connected, but sends them through if they are rich and connected. “Super talenteds” do get in the gate, btw, in the EA slice. They’re needed to keep the elite U glowing.

Throwing billions of dollars at universities is, I think, going to be necessary just to keep them open and accessible to most people who need to go, including people who’re going to be doing work that sounds utterly mundane, like (example from today) CSR work at large insurers, fielding complex questions about hundreds of policy types. And not just billions of dollars. Hundreds of billions of dollars. I had occasion to do the math last spring, when I wondered why, if we were so scared that we were going to lose OOS kids during the pandemic, we didn’t just cut them a break on tuition for a year or two. So I did the math, and the math is staggering. That would’ve been a “you sank my battleship” loss, cutting them that break.

The average large state research U budget runs around $1B, and about half that sum’s coming from the students at this point, meaning there are now sizeable populations that don’t go to school because they can’t afford the state U, and others who drop out before degree because they’re out of money (but now have debt plus no degree). Much infrastructure maintenance is bond-funded now, so state systems are frequently billions in the hole, which is a new thing. State research Us can pull in maybe a quarter to a third of the budget with grants, but that’s an option available only to R1s. So if you actually made college affordable to most of the kids who need to go to school, rolled their cost back to 1980, you’d add about 30% to the budget to replace their tuition, and you still wouldn’t have the state Us staffed to handle the work, the facilities maintained properly, etc.; the hulls are rotted under the brochures after decades of neglect. The real costs would be closer to $1.75-2B/yr.

If you figure that each state has two major campuses, now you’re looking at around $200B per year in ops cost nationally just for U of and State U, and of course the college landscape’s much more crowded than that. State and research funding, plus much lower tuition, would cover about 40%. So about $1B per giant campus in aid, per year, is needed just to get to the point of having all the kids who need to go actually go and finish, get through without massive debt, have a university that works most of the time, isn’t a terrible high-stakes video game to get through because it’s falling apart on the inside, and keeps cost low enough that students can actually find the things they’re good at and care about, and will pour passion and energy into, instead of pretending they know what they’re going to do with their lives when they’re 17, and winding up trapped expensively in something they never were cut out for and struggling to find work in anyway, because the people selling the majors to them know bupkes about the actual industries; they’re PhDs who know how to make more PhDs.

So yeah. Around $100B/yr. I don’t know what to tell you except that education is expensive, and a big country needs a lot of it. The question is who pays for it. I have no problem with paying higher taxes – even though I have less disposable income than most – for a better-educated population with a strong middle class that’s willing to take a risk and can, if so inclined and with some talent for that kind of thing, find its way into society-defining work. <-MAGA.

This happens in the form of national programs – AAAS does a good job and so do a lot of other orgs. I got sent along to that sort of thing in the mid-80s. But I certainly wouldn’t want to take the kids away from the public campuses. How are they supposed to stay in touch with how other people live and, maybe more important, think? What friends will they have outside the hothouse? If you’re going to be steering society and doing a good job of it, you’d better know what society is. Also, frankly, it bites for the universities when they leave. Yeah, I don’t think more vigorous stratification is the answer to the problem of stratification.

Mm. Having worked in Commons and at LSE I am not convinced of the virtues of collecting the best and brightest from the land and dressing them in house scarves so that they can go on to serve the actual toffs acceptably. Shifting the balance of power back in the direction of the publics – where it once was in this country, which worked remarkably well – is I think preferable.

1 Like

More likely to happen if more states establish stuff like the HOPE/Zell Miller scholarships that GA has (also would have to fund publics as much as GA does).

3 Likes

That’s spectacular. Would you mind messaging me the name of the company? Because it deserves promotion. It’s not the normal state of affairs: Women in Tech Face Increased Wage Discrimination - IEEE Spectrum (actually a IEEE piece on the state of gender discrimination in pay in tech)

Hmm. At where I work (not a tech company), they definitely incent managers to promote women and BIPOC.

I’m curious if you’ve always been in academia. The corporate landscape has changed quite a bit in just the last decade (at big companies).

1 Like

Please tell me this sentiment isn’t coming from a top 5% income white male U of C grad.

I still have a lot of work to do tonight and am not going to take time to reflect on the last two decades’ extraordinarily poorly-supported work raising and supporting a child on my own in this country. With friends abroad deeply concerned and asking whether it wasn’t possible for me to move to their countries, which had (and have) much better social supports. Nor am I going to spend time revisiting what it was like before ACA, living like that.

Nope. I never had any intention of it, actually. It’s just one of the last homes of the social safety net, so although very poorly compensated next to industry, the stability and flexibility were what I needed as single mother of a young child. I keep in touch with corporate life, bridge students to it, and only stopped doing contract work a few years ago.

Georgia is not one of the lower student loan debt states in this map: Interactive Map - The Institute for College Access & Success . It is not the worst, though (the worst are some of the usual suspects like Pennsylvania, New Hampshire, Connecticut, Rhode Island, and Delaware). Utah, New Mexico, Nevada, and California are among the lowest student loan debt states.

1 Like