Important Tips for Freshmen on Textbooks

<p>Please don't go to the bookstore to get your textbook.
Their books are way more expensive than other options.</p>

<p>Try underground textbook exchange/ beat the bookstore or amazon.</p>

<p>I saved at least $100 last semester for just not going to the bookstore.</p>

<p>thx for the tip, buddy!
what are the underground/secondhand bookstore you would suggest to go??</p>

<p>One is on State at the corner a few doors away from University Bookstore. Remember- University Bookstore is a private enterprise just like any other one. A good place to look at textbooks and the website to go online to find out what you need for each class. There is no bookstore officially connected to UW- University Bookstore gets most of the needed materials and shelves them by lecture/section/discussion- those matter, can’t just go by course number.</p>

<p>To find out which materials you need look up the course number- including which lecture number et al- on the University Bookstore website and you can find all information needed to order elsewhere. Or you can wait until you get to campus and check out the stores, consider used books. Remember to save receipts and keep new books pristine for possible return the first two(?) weeks if you drop a course.</p>

<p>Now is the time to hit Target/Walmart et al for school supplies- the back to school sales are on. It won’t hurt to load up on cheap spirals, pens… you know what works for you in taking notes, etc.</p>

<p>You can also check your Student Center account for textbooks (though not as up to date as uwbookstore.com):</p>

<p>my.wisc.edu
Student Center
Course Enrollment
Term Information
Fall 2011 (click ‘continue’)</p>

<p>Also try half.com, we’ve had great success there.</p>

<p>FYI: </p>

<p>[Welcome</a> | :: Underground Textbook Exchange ::](<a href=“textbookunderground.com - This website is for sale! - textbookunderground Resources and Information.”>http://www.textbookunderground.com/)</p>

<p>Beat the Bookstore Address:
557 State Street
Madison, Wisconsin 53703</p>

<p>Please spread this out. I was totally scammed by the bookstore back when I was a freshmen.</p>

<p>These 2 stores may look a bit creepy coz its on the basement. But who cares when you can save $100+</p>

<p>Would anyone here recommend using etextbooks?</p>

<p>It’s not a bad idea especially for elective classes. But it’s not that cheap either. </p>

<p>Other options: buy international version. Contents are mostly or even EXACTLY the same. You save 75%.</p>

<p>I bought my books from bigwords.com on the cheap.</p>

<p>Sounds like a shill for the underground exchange. If you shut down the UW Bookstore who is going to put all those text lists and reading packs together online for you cheapskates?</p>

<p>I totally respect barrons’ ideas. But the thing is, students need to know what their options are. And tbh UW Bookstore is not gonna shut down provided that</p>

<p>1) Some students are just lazy to walk a bit farther down State
2) UW Bookstore still has its “reputation” (though I had terrible experiences with their staff and their return policy)
3) Those “underground” bookstores are really “underground”. Might look a lil bit sketchy for ppl who first goes there</p>

<p>DISCLAIMER: I’m not affiliated with any of those underground bookstores (or amazon lol) Just some students who think they were paying too much for textbooks</p>

<p>It’s also easy to call us “cheapskates” when you’re not currently paying (some of us are even paying with money we don’t have) for any books…</p>

<p>Yes, this is just a value judgment. I also do not believe in stealing music and other artistic materials produced by people who make their living that way. It just seems to me that folks who will revile Wal-Mart as an evil empire will support Amazon which to me is far more evil as its pay is also rather low for all the warehouse workers and it will do anything to avoid collecting sales taxes and thus turns millions of people into petty criminals as well as stealing money from schools and even your college to keep their business advantage.</p>

<p>I’d say the difference is that you don’t have to steal music, and music is not that expensive to buy (in large quantities yes, but not the point). Students who buy textbooks are a captive audience who often MUST buy a certain book whose value is already ridiculously inflated to begin with, and to top it off most students don’t have a lot of money. I hope one day to be able to afford to purchase everything completely ethically from companies I support, but right now I am using borrowed money and I think many students would agree that if we can find cheaper books, we will get them.</p>

<p>How could this be stealing? One person’s paying another person for a textbook. Everybody’s happy. Is buying a used car stealing? I hope not. I don’t see how this is any different. If the bookstore goes out of business it’s not the consumer’s fault. It’s the store’s fault for not evolving with the market. Why should someone pay more to buy the same item?</p>

<p>University Bookstore has had no problems with students buying elsewhere for decades. Browns Bookstore used to be their competition before the internet was available- too bad they folded. Students should always look out for themselves, as do businesses. No one store has a monopoly on student purchases, nor should they.</p>

<p>Protip for engineering students (or anyone taking a ton of intro math/science courses, really):</p>

<p>Wait to buy your books until the first week of classes, which is when the Polygon Book Exchange happens. This is a book exchange within the College of Engineering (run by students) where all the books are entirely bought and sold by students.</p>

<p>When you’re selling a book, you get to pick the price you want for it (as cash or check). All books are very reasonably priced (70 - 75% off bookstore prices). Since all students are trying to benefit themselves, they price their books cheap and thus everyone buys cheap.
I spent only $180 on books last Spring…I would’ve gone over $400 if I bought them through the bookstore.</p>