Improving Fairness for Medical School Admissions --Is a Lottery the Answer?

…unless of course, the U.S. physician needs to spend time with his patients’ insurance carriers arguing why a procedure, test, or even a prescription, should be covered. And then there are patients where committee approval would be welcome as a necessary evil - in exchange for the U.S. uninsured patient having a reasonable chance of receiving care at all.

2 Likes

I think we agree on the plight of the uninsured. Just read about the increase in colon cancer in the US in young people… so many who can’t get a colonoscopy covered until they discover it’s stage 3…

1 Like

That has to be frustrating. I wonder how normal that is. My only contacts (two) have talked about how much more they have to pay to get people to come to work, both doctors and nurses. Both places are rural, and they told me that’s the problem. It’s all hearsay, though I fully believe what they are saying for their situations. One is my doctor’s office, the other is a relative who works hiring staff at a hospital.

1 Like

Counting mine and my wife’s siblings and cousins there are 10+ physicians in my family, and all of them are experiencing wage stagnation. They’re mostly in specialties and in the SE.

4 Likes

Wage stagnation if your income is $200,000 or so is very different than wage stagnation if your income is $40,000. My opinion.

4 Likes

No one is arguing or suggesting your point. The discussion was arguing against the statement that physician salaries are going up. That is not true especially in the historical context. No one is comparing with other professions, nor is anyone asking for any sympathy for physicians or their compensation.

2 Likes