"In loco parentis"....Do you live near a college?

I’m about 20 minutes from George Mason University, and 45 minutes to an hour to all the DC area colleges and universities (GWU, Georgetown, American, Howard, Gallaudet, UMD, VT and UVA Northern VA campuses, etc.)

We live in Houston not too far from Rice. My office is less than 2 miles from the campus. My D will be a freshman class of 2021.

@threebeans We live 45 minutes from Tulane and our son will be attending this fall.

@SMB0275 Thanks - we are from Wisconsin and our son is attending this fall also.

@threebeans Great! Must be pretty exciting to be going to college in a new & different place! Thought our son would go far away also, but in the end Tulane & his love for our local area is keeping him close. Hope your son loves it, too & Roll Wave!

We are from DC area and our son is also attending Tulane.

I’m in NYC for any parents nervous about their child being here and far from home!
My DS will be in Kalamazoo, Michigan. 651 miles away :frowning:
Although I’ve met a couple of kind souls who live there,
anybody else on here near enough to offer “Just in Case?” Help?

I’m between Houston and Galveston so any colleges at either I’d be available to help. My ds will be attending Kansas State in the fall and we know no one near there!

I live in Boston. Willing to be a contact for anyone who wants. DM me. I’m five min from BC BU Northeastern, etc etc etc

I am in Pittsburgh. Close to Pitt, Carnegie Mellon, Duquesne, Washington & Jefferson, etc.

I am in Phoenix, near Arizona State University and Grand Canyon University. I would be happy to help.

Atlanta. Practically right on Emory’s campus. Also reasonably close to GSU, GaTech, Mercer etc

It’s been years since I posted on this thread but we are still here, under 15 minutes away from Quinnipiac, should anyone need quick assistance for their child there.

We live in Chattanooga and are within 15 - 20min of UTC and Lee Univ.

1 Like

Minutes from Wellesley, Babson, Brandeis, BC and close enough to all Boston area/Cambridge schools. If you have any boots-on-the-ground type situation please do not hesitate to ask for help!

I live in College Station, Home of Texas A&M. I love giving parents the peace of mind. My daughter went 7 hours away her freshman year. It was hard. Not knowing where to go for stuff (doctors, mechanics, etc.) but also not knowing an adult that could be there if something happened. Now she’s back here and is a junior. Whoop!

I’m in Las Vegas about 15 min. from UNLV

Anyone near Franklin and Marshall in Lancaster, PA? Nephew is staying on campus for Thanksgiving (he can’t afford to fly home)- trying to find a place for him to have Thanksgiving dinner in case the school doesn’t have something for the kids staying in town…

Twin Cities, MN urban (U of MN TC, Macalester, Augsburg, Concordia St. Paul, St. Thomas, St. Catherine’s, Hamline, McNally-Smith all within close range. Bethel, Northwestern St. Paul not far either)

Hi Shennie, My daughter Louisa is a freshman at U Wisconsin Madison. We are from Sarasota Florida. I am kind of worried about her decision making as she is talking about doing a double major in genetics and biochemistry, which her academic advisor says is impossible in four years. Meanwhile she is neglecting to follow through on day to day needs.