In-state public vs small religious vs small specialized private for engineering

I am a current HS senior trying to decide what college to go to. I am currently debating between 3 schools which are all affordable for me and I would not have to take out loans for any of them and additionally I would have some money left over in case I decide to go to graduate school. One more thing to mention is that I am a religious person and it’s important to me to have the ability to continue practicing and learning about my religion. Also I intend on going into engineering (probably chemical or mechanical).

Option 1: instate public
It is well known for its programs in the STEM areas and is the cheapest option of the 3 (but the other 2 are still affordable)
Small religious community and not so many opportunities to explore my religion, but I would be able to come home for religious holidays (which I would really like because to me a big part of holidays is spending time with family)
It’s very large but I got into an honors program which is for students going into engineering and is all about giving them a smaller group and trying to help them have good opportunities in their field (like internships, jobs and grad schools)

Option 2: small religious school
They don’t directly have an engineering program but they help the students that want to go into engineering get internships and help them get into grad schools
They have tons of opportunities in religious matters and actually require you to take some religious classes
It’s a pretty small school and the students are very tight knit which I really like
**I would automatically choose to go to this school if they had an engineering department because it has some really incredible religious opportunities combined with a pretty good education

Option 3: small very specialized private
They have an incredible engineering school that is decently well known and focused on practical engineering (which I really like)
It’s fairly small because they only offer a few different degrees but they are really good with what they have
There’s a small but active religious community, but it is known to be for challenging for religious students based on the sometimes limited opportunities
Based on what I’ve heard it is a more competitive atmosphere than the others

Overall I’m kind of stuck because I want to be able to continue keeping uo and learning about my religion but I also want to be in an engineering program.

2 Likes

Well…your second listing above (the religious school) does not have engineering as a choice. Frankly, if you want to be an engineer, you need a degree in engineering. So…I think that one needs to probably be dropped.

The last option has only engineering and doesn’t have the religious strength you are hoping for.

The instate public has engineering, some religious activities, and the ability to maintain family ties for religious times. In addition, just in case you change your mind…it likely has a ton of other majors beside engineering.

Those are my thoughts…but really the decision is yours.

14 Likes

Input would be far more useful if you named the schools. Without that, option 1 sounds best. I would rule out option 2 as it doesn’t have the engineering program you need. Option 3 is hard to evaluate without knowing the school.

6 Likes

Agreed (with naming the schools) and you might even note the religion. This is because perhaps there is an off campus or tangential connection you’re not aware of. You also have listed two disciplines.

It’s going to be 1 or 3 but without further info likely #1 unless #3 has both mechanical and chemical. And check for ABET accreditation.

2 Likes

@cb2345 very likely knows off campus connections at school one because it’s in close enough proximity to their home to at least have those connections for holidays with the family.

It sounds like this is very important to you @cb2345 . While not perhaps as convenient, have you looked into religious organizations off campus near school 3…as suggested.

To me the instate public sounds like it can best meet all your needs (and as a bonus at the lowest cost)

5 Likes

If you want to study engineering go to where they have an ABET accredited engineering program in the area you wish to study. There are some schools which are church based that offer engineering but not many. One that offers at least mechanical engineering is Ohio Northern University. I believe it is Methodist. They have very limited engineering offers but they do offer it. There are many Catholic Universities that have good engineering programs. University of Dayton is good and of course Notre Dame. You can tell where I’m from so I’m sure this list is longer. I may be easier and cheaper to find a church and organization in a public school that to find a religious school which offers you want you want. Good luck.

2 Likes

I’d stick with Option 1 because it has engineering, and even if the religious clubs are small, they’re still there and likely with very solid believing members because they don’t have to be there - they choose to be there. Being able to go home is a nice bonus.

State schools are often terrific for engineering. They have more funds for the “toys.”

On a different note, I know many religious students who choose state schools due to cost or majors and all have been able to find clubs/peers they like. Then too, some students go to religious colleges because those are the only ones their parents allow, but the students themselves aren’t thrilled with the choice.

My oldest went to a small religious school due to his choice (liked two profs who worked there plus they had a major he wanted) and confirmed not all students wanted to be there. He still liked it though. My other two went to secular schools because those fit them better and they joined clubs they enjoyed while there. All three are adults now and kept their faith.

Best wishes with whatever you choose, but if you want to be an engineer, you really ought to pick options 1 or 3.

6 Likes

Unfortunately, this just isn’t a practical path into engineering. You really need to attend an ABET accredited program and get your undergraduate degree in engineering or you will be creating a lot of unnecessary additional challenges for yourself.

I agree with the others who are recommending option 1. Many students attend their state university and are able to stay connected and grow in their faith. Many if not most state universities will have religious organizations of many faiths on or near campus. Then you’ll all have the major you want and a sensible path toward becoming an engineer.

It’s hard to say whether the third school is a good choice for you without more information.

4 Likes

Instate public would have the better resources usually. But if the small public is like Rose Hulman or Harvey Mudd and you can afford it then interesting. Go to the less expensive /affordable program you can afford. But, Big Ten/large publics schools tend to have great research facility’s etc… And internships etc.

Thank you everyone for responding!
There are a few things that I think I should add/clarify:

1. All the stuff about religious opportunities are all based on the on and off campus resources that I’ve gathered from current students, recent alumni, my college guidance advisor, visiting the schools and researching on the internet
  2. Option 2 fits all my religious needs but doesn’t have a direct engineering program. They have connections with many engineering graduate schools and help their alumni get into and be prepared for graduate schools in engineering
  3. Both options 1 and 3 will somewhat fit my religious needs, but there will still be some elements that I will be lacking. One of the more important ones to mention is that I will (rarely) have to miss a few days of classes for religious holidays. What I have heard is that because option 1 is larger I could likely arrange my schedule at the beginning of the semester to not have too many classes on the days I will have to miss (but it’s not guaranteed). Option 3 will be harder but I could probably make it work.

Also, I thought I put it on the first post, but it seems that I accidentally deleted it which is that I am an orthodox Jew. Due to the part of Judaism that I identify with I would not feel comfortable at all Jewish clubs or groups.

It might be worth it to visit the public school, and experience a Shabbat with the community—and see what it’s like. You could visit both Hillel and Chabad. It sounds like such a great opportunity to be in the honors program for engineering. Good luck!

1 Like

I would say - option 2 just means more school. There’s a loss of time and money there.

Again, it would be helpful if you can name the schools and religion (I’m guessing from the last, post it’s Judaism).

But #2 just doesn’t seem like the right answer. It was apparent before and again after the latest - if you want to be an engineer.

I don’t believe either RH or HM is a small public.

1 Like

OP said:

—————

I agree that option 1 appears to be the best choice and option 2 is academically the worst choice since it doesn’t offer an engineering major.

1 Like

OP did name the religion. They clearly don’t want to name the schools; I agree that more info would elicit better advice, but this is their prerogative.

OP- if option two is Touro, I don’t think it can provide the academic opportunities you need. It’s great they’d help you get into grad school- but a solid ABET engineering program won’t require ANY grad school. Civil engineering? Four years and done. Mechanical? Ditto.

If you plan to spend yom tov with family, then the lack of a cohesive community won’t be as problematic if you were going to be on campus for every holiday. And while spending shabbat on campus can be a fantastic experience, it’s nice to have the option to go home.

Have you explored the resources in the community around the college? In my shul, we have a rotating hospitality committee to provide meals and host college students from the surrounding area. Some of the colleges have a nice Jewish community- others have very little, and so the goal of our committee is to make any student who shows up in our area feel comfortable with as much or as little involvement as they need. Even some professors who are happy to have students stay with them-- so check that out!

3 Likes

OP hasn’t disclosed their gender. That’s fine - that’s their prerogative as well.

1 Like

Oops, sorry - edited accordingly. Thx for the correction!

1 Like

Yes - I agree - i missed this the first time.

In the end, I think OP can discuss with the Chabad near campus. If OP wants to be an engineer, they need an engineering degree. Even if they want graduate school, in case that doesn’t happen, one can’t predict the future and the most direct path would make the most sense in my opinon.

Of course if OP wants option 2 - it’s their right - but they asked for opinions.

And what happens in four years - does the situation change? They still have to find the right school.

1 Like