In-state Tuition Waiver

Hi!

I’m a current senior in High School. I just got accepted into TAMU engineering with the following stats:

3.05 UW
1570 SAT
No Class Rank (listed as 1st quartile in AIS)

Do I have a shot at scholarships like the $5,000 Maroon Merit award for in-state tuition? My SAT qualifies me, but I’m not sure how class rank would be calculated.

Does anyone know how class rank is computed?

Your GPA would surely exclude you from scholarships, period, are you international?

No

1st quartile means top 25%, right? I don’t see how you can get a scholarship with that ranking.

We don’t rank where I come from. That’s just what’s in AIS.

I would not expect anything then. It is great TAMU has you as top 1/4 and academic admit, but it seems unlikely you actually would have that rank. Your GC can probably ballpark your decile even if your school doesn’t officially rank, Either way, I doubt it helps. IIRC TAMU just assigns that rank to non ranking applicants. Obviously you have a nice test score and that helps. I think they look at your school profile and your curriculum.

Sucks that they raised the requirements for a tuition waiver ?

Hopefully uncertainty errs in my favor

Not really, Texas is packed full of high achieving kids with great GPAs and test scores, they don’t need to buy OOS kids stats.

If you need money, try UTD. I don’t know how much your test score and rigour would help offset the GPA. My 33/3.95/10% max rigour kid got offered full tuition plus stipend for engineering (oos, not NMF)

Congratulations on your admittance. You may want to consult with the financial aid office. They would be able to answer how they ranked you. Most schools send a school report and that helps with how TAMU reviews your stats. That being said. I was told, and I maybe I was informed wrong, that the Marroon scholarship was not considered a “competitive” scholarship and would it not count for OOS tuition waiver. It was something that was given to everyone that had certain stats. That in order to be considered for OOS tuition waiver it had be competitive. Can anyone confirm this?

It looks like you are correct, @vet2be93 . From the website:

*Students eligible to receive a non-resident tuition waiver by earning at least $4,000 in competitive scholarships each academic year are not eligible for the Maroon Merit Award.
Note: If at any point you become eligible for a non-resident tuition waiver, all future payments of this scholarship will be permanently terminated. *
https://scholarships.tamu.edu/FRESHMEN/University-Scholarships#1-ScholarshipsforOut-of-StateStudents (click on Scholarships for Out-of-State Students)

Is there something similar to the Maroon Merit Award for in-state students? An award based solely on SAT being above 1400? I am looking at all the other scholarships, but can’t seem to find an answer. Thank-you!.

2019senior2023, Ignore all free advices here . Go to your fin aid page( within HOWDY) and see your scholarships. you are guranteed to get min of $2000 per year, but since your SAT is very high, you have very high chances to get $5000 and thus, OOS waiver automatcillay(but this $5000 will be taken away). It seems lot of folks talk about GPA, and they dont see/know the the rigour of your high school. when a kid gets low GPA and high SAT, majority of times, he is real smart and school grades real tough on GPA. But, I think majority dont understand that . Refer to these details.

@https://scholarships.tamu.edu/FRESHMEN/University-Scholarships#1-ScholarshipsforOut-of-StateStudents

PS: Note: If at any point you become eligible for a non-resident tuition waiver, all future payments of this scholarship will be permanently terminated. So inessence, get $4000, you get OOS waiver, but this $4000 will be taken off. Anything less than $4000, you get to keep but NO OOS waiver.

As you are in first quadrant, guaranteed you get $2000. Pray for balance $2000.

@Eggscapgoats You can use the link in post #11 and click the individual headings to read more about some of the scholarships offered. Honors programs and departments also award scholarships.

Here’s a link to the 2019-2020 Scholarship Handbook which lists a lot of the scholarships and renewal requirements. It doesn’t specify how they are awarded. https://scholarships.tamu.edu/Forms/1920SchHandbook.aspx

@lightshock23 Anyone is welcome to post any information they think may be helpful. The link you posted was the exact same information already posted in #11.

@chercheur , I think I missed your post as i opened the page and not hit submit for quite sometime. Anyhow, thanks for giving the right info to @2019senior2023 .

FYI - the Maroon Award is not considered a competitive scholarship per the handbook posted above. The Maroon is an award given to OOS based on ACT/SAT. Since its not something you have to be reviewed for by committee or available to Texas residents than would not be considered for OOS tuition waiver. But does go away if you get OOS waiver.

“A competitive scholarship must consider both Texas residents and non-residents in the awarding process, not give preference to one or the other, and must be awarded by a University scholarship committee. If you eligibility for one or more scholarships which drops you below the $4,000 minimum for the year, your non-resident tuition waiver will be forfeited and you will be assessed non-resident tuition charges.”

Thanks for the handbook link @chercheur…I did speak to Financial Aide and was told the same thing but I know financial aid can be wrong if talking to someone new. So I wouldn’t ignore anyone’s advice on here since you asked, but research the responses yourself to make sure its accurate.

and they dont see/know the the rigour of your high school. when a kid gets low GPA and high SAT, majority of times, he is real smart and school grades real tough on GPA<<<<<<<<

Really, this is CC, a 3.05 UW GPA is not explained by rigour.