Include unpublished book (work-in-progress) on Common App Activities?

Hello, I am currently working on a physics book, attempting to explain abstract concepts through intuition/reasoning as opposed to equations. I have not published it, nor is it finished, though it is something that I spent decent time on. Is this something that I can include on my common app activities list, or should I refrain from mentioning it? Thank you for anyone that helps!

Mention it! Colleges seem to love passion projects, don’t frame it as an uncompleted manuscript frame it as an ongoing project :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks. Good luck on your Stanford application! Did you include anything like a passion project when you applied?

Yeah! I also have an unpublished book (a fantasy novel) but I framed it as something I recently completed that I’m in the process pitching (which is true).
Also thank you! Good luck with your schools!

100% mention it. That is an awesome EC. Good luck.

Thanks. I spoke with some admissions consultant that my friend knows (not paying for her service, she was just nice to answer the question) and she said to absolutely not include that, as it is not concrete and will make the college admissions counselors question it and, subsequently, other parts of my application. Do you agree with that?

I am just a parent, but what you have done (writing a book) seems pretty impressive to me. I am not an expert at this. The consultant are usually former admission officers, so I would take what she says sincerely. I would ask MichaelCShort who is a former Stanford admission officer his advice. He post regularly on this forum.

This thread that I posted is locked so maybe you can message him? If you don’t mind sharing his thoughts so that it could help others?

Thank you! Good tip. This was his reply:

I couldn’t disagree more. Yes, absolutely include it! That’s loaded with IV. Just provide context like you did for me. It’s a work in progress, what’s wrong with that?! It’s always important to verify activities that sound impressive–like yours–so I do think you should write about it in some prompt. And what you’ve said to me sounds like a terrific start: Intuition over equations as a new conceptual approach to physics? Rad. –MCS

Nice man. I knew that it sounded like a great EC. If I was an admission officer, I would be impressed. Good luck.

Yep, thank you so much!