Incoming transfer questions

<p>Hey guys,</p>

<p>I'm an incoming VT transfer, 3rd semester sophomore haha. Anyways, I was wondering what the party scene and greek life is like, and if you know if fraternities at VT accept junior level pledges? </p>

<p>I've also heard some pretty bad things about the weather there, is it really that bad cause I like to be outside doing stuff, and are there any pools, or lakes around VT where you can swim? </p>

<p>Finally, would you recommend living on campus or off since I just got a housing contact, and if on campus which residence halls are the nicest and best for meeting people?</p>

<p>Thanks.</p>

<p>Greek life exists here. It isn’t huge to the point where if you don’t go greek you don’t have anything to do, but there are several frats and yes, some of them if not all do accept junior level pledges.</p>

<p>The weather isn’t THAT bad, it is just erratic. It’ll be sunny and 70 one day and raining and 55 the next. We definitely get our share of nice days, we just also get some bleak, windy days. There is an indoor pool you can swim in at VT, and some apartment complexes have pools if you live there or know someone who does. Not sure about lakes.</p>

<p>If you’re worried about meeting people and don’t mind having a roommate in the same room I’d opt for on. East and West AJ, Pritchard and Slusher are generally considered to be the worst dorms, though they’re renovating one of the AJs now. Payne, New Res, and Peddrew-Yates (along with the new ones when they open) are the nice suite style, air conditioned dorms, but good luck getting in there. The rest are usually somewhere in between.</p>

<p>Ok thanks for the info!</p>

<p>What about the party scene? Are there any good clubs/bars in blacksburg or is it mainly house parties? Also, what is the nearest ski resort to tech, and are there any other popular attractions nearby?</p>

<p>The party scene is very good. There are decent clubs and bars in Blacksburg, certainly enough to keep someone occupied. The houseparty scene is better than the bar scene in my opinion. The nearest ski resorts are in WV, either Snowshoe or Winterplace, I can’t remember which. People are able to go there as a daytrip, though. The Cascades are nearby, which if you like hiking is pretty cool.</p>