Indecisivenessss-UCSC, UCSB, UCB---------

<p>I am frustrated and confused. I don?t know what decision to make, and I have lately been so obsessed with websites like this one that I think my vision is going bad. So I need some feedback to give me some peace of mind.</p>

<p>I love UC Santa Cruz?s campus. It?s amazing, and that really attracts me. I am also fond of their ten residential college system, where dorm life is broken up into smaller social settings. The school is smaller than other UCs and therefore class sizes are also small, which is another plus.</p>

<p>What bothers me about UC Santa Cruz is its bohemia stoner character- and it?s one of the easiest UCs to get into and therefore does not have the best reputation. I actually don?t so much mind the stoner atmosphere of UC Santa Cruz; I am just worried I would be surrounded by a lot of kids that are not so bright.</p>

<p>I have not visited UCSB, but I have read a lot about it. The campus also looks amazing. What attracts me about UCSB is the social aspect of it. Throughout high school I studied very hard and never had the greatest social life, and I know if I would go to an environment like UCSB I would be more social and have a lot of fun, which I think is very important when going off to college.</p>

<p>The thing is, however, I have heard stories from people I know of the debauchery that goes down in UCSB. My brother told me once when he was down there, that this guy drunk out of his mind was just yelling and screaming at this party and punched a hole in the wall- then my brother walked in on another party where this other drunk was running around with his pants pulled down letting it all hang out. I wouldn?t want to be in a school with just a bunch of stumbling drunks out to party constantly, but I don?t know how much truth there is to UCSB?s part scene.</p>

<p>Lastly, there is UC Berkeley, which I was accepted for the spring 2008 semester, which I guess is OK since I can attend the fall program for freshman. I am just concerned I won?t have the traditional freshman college experience if I do FPF. Also, I am worried about the cut-throat competition in Berkeley. For 3 years in high school I was constantly stressed about schoolwork and all that stuff. I don?t know if I want to go through that high steroid stress action again in Berkeley where I will have no time for fun. That?s why the laid back setting of SC and SB attracts me.</p>

<p>Of course the positive of UC Berkeley is its prestige and cool college town, although I still like UCSC?s campus better. </p>

<p>Sites like studentsreview.com haven?t helped me either, a lot of people trash talk there school, and a lot of students are bias toward there school- I know this is no life or death decision, I am just really stressed out and indecisive. I just don?t know what to do.</p>

<p>I guess it all comes down to whats more important for you.. academics or a social life. There is no comparison between UCB and UCSC in terms of prestige, and I'm sure you will find time to enjoy at Berkeley as well.
I guess you should go to UCSB because you would be able to find a balance between your social life without compromising with academics; plus there isnt as much competition compared to UCB.</p>

<p>UCSC! after all, college is what you make of it! UCSC has the beautiful atmosphere/campus, something that can't be changed, but you can adapt your academic style there.</p>

<p>well spring 08 admittance does suck its sitll a premier top 25 college</p>

<p>whilst ucsc is dangling third tier uc</p>

<p>ucb has the brightest minds and well imo no matter how beautiful or amazing ucsc can be, it doesnt compensate for ucb's prestige/academics.</p>

<p>ucsb is alright but it still can't beat ucb</p>

<p>Prestige, prestige blah blah blah......
If you are miserable in a school and find keeping up academically a big strain you will regret your choice. Guaranteed there are many amazing and successful students coming out of UCSC. Guaranteed there are many students with impressive transcripts graduating from UCSC who go on to excellent graduate schools. Go where you will thrive.</p>

<p>I don't know if you call people who buy off tests and cheat like hell the "brightest minds." At least that is what I've heard of UCLA.</p>

<p>look my first question is this:
did u apply to UCSD, UCLA? if you did and got rejected, UCB must have seen something on ur app that persauded them we should give this kid a try. But realize, the fact you didnt get into SD/LA would mean academically/test wise you werent strong enough to make it in there and it may mean you will struggle at Berkeley. It will be better for you to go to a tier 2 or tier 3 school, be able to do well on the workload and enjoy yourself instead of studying 24/7 and trying to keep up.</p>

<p>If you did not apply to SD or LA then my apologies. However realize that UCB will be very competitive, and even cut throat in some classes but the bright minds and prestige Berkeley has are intangibles that the other two univresities lack.</p>

<p>I did not apply to UCLA, but I did get rejected by San Diego</p>

<p>Even though each school has its stereotypes, most likely you will find a considerable amount of people who don't fit those stereotypes at all.</p>

<p>Despite not having the greatest reputation, UCSC will still probably have a lot of bright kids for you to associate with. It's a UC, which is a pretty well-respected institution in the first place. I've also heard of alot of people who were accepted to the higher-tier UCs, but still chose to go to UCSC anyway because of its atmosphere. </p>

<p>I don't think prestige is a good enough factor to be considered when you're choosing a university. Personal opinion. If you study hard and excel in class, that'll be recognized no matter which university you're coming from.</p>

<p>Jerome, I totally get your confusion. I feel the same, except I've got Irvine instead of UCSB. When I first visited UCSC, it felt sooo right. I fell in love with the campus, the art, the happy people. But it also felt good academically. I think the academics there get a bum rap. My mom got me a magazine (I think Look?) from 1970 that had an article in it from 1970 about UCSC when it was just 5 years old and didn't have grades. It was amazing the reason for the campus and how it was structured. They were thinking of having ultimately 25 colleges (never happened). </p>

<p>But I also did a tour of Berkeley and it also felt so right to me. I could imagine myself there and not be scared being surrounded by so many brilliant people even though I didn't (and don't) feel all that brilliant myself. I see people on these boards that seem so self assured and confident, and sound like they never get insecure of anxious like I do. Will I fit in with these people or will they annoy the crap out of me and make me feel even more insecure? Or will I be ok outside of my current safe environment?</p>

<p>Then, there's Irvine, which I NEVER thought I'd like and just applied for the hell of it. Then I visited it and, oh, wow, I can see myself there too, such a good academic environment, and so pretty and clean (but in a more sterile way than USCC).</p>

<p>So, I'm going back to each one of these places one last time before making a final decision. My biggest worry is screwing up making the right decision for me. But I guess whatever I decide, if it doesn't work out, I can always do to CC or Cal State unless one of the turned down UCs agrees to give me another chance. . . .</p>

<p>It's a lot of hard thinking and only a month to do it. Wow. I am half feeling the pain and half glad I've been lucky enough to get the choices. But confused!</p>

<p>Try not to care so much about what others define as prestigious. UCB vs UCLA, UCSC vs UCSB, so on so forth. Don't let the campus choose you, CHOOSE your school take into consideration what you want to get out of college: Social scene, academics, community relations, political activism, clubs and organizations, etc. I graduated from UCSC class of 2004 with a BA in Physical Anthropology and I will not say "yes, go to UCSC" (just because I went there). I LOVED IT. I was active socially, academically and politically active and I made the most out of my 4 and a half years there. </p>

<p>I'm a 2L Law Student at Stanford University</p>

<p>I say this because I hate the fact that just because you may feel that you attended a not so prestigious undergraduate school whether it be a state or UC or private, in the end...compete and push yourself. Good luck in your endevours. I'm sure you'll be just fine.</p>

<p>From what I have heard, being a spring admit at Cal does not rob one of the "freshman experience." Many spring admits get dorms and the fact that they attend class a couple of blocks away doesn't seem to matter much to anyone. That said, follow your heart. All of these schools offer great academics and social situations. There are plenty of drunk college kids doing dumb things at all 3 schools, plenty of smart kids at all three schools, and plenty of social and non-social people at all three schools. Good luck with your decision and congratulations on your acceptance to all three UC's.</p>

<p>Congratulations on your acceptances. </p>

<p>Now for my long post.</p>

<p>You sound like you're basing your decision greatly on the reputation of the social aspects of each college. While I understand why you are, since it is going to be the next four years of your life, and you worked throughout high school, while most teens found it the time to party, I think you're putting too much of a basis on it.</p>

<p>"I am just worried I would be surrounded by a lot of kids that are not so bright."</p>

<p>Does it matter whether the kids around you are all bright? Just because
they're stoners doesn't mean they aren't bright (in fact a lot of stoners are really brilliant they just aren't into the academic social structure of school). Imagine how you would feel if someone went "he's such a loser" when they read your statement of "Throughout high school I studied very hard and never had the greatest social life". </p>

<p>Advice #1: Don't fall for stereotypes.</p>

<p>Anyway, you also state:</p>

<p>"I have heard stories from people I know of the debauchery that goes down in UCSB. " You state this, then simply say "my brother..." in both examples. So is it actually "people" or just your brother?</p>

<p>Advice #2: Don't base what your choice is on what a FEW people, out of the thousands at the school, say.</p>

<p>"I don?t know if I want to go through that high steroid stress action again in Berkeley where I will have no time for fun."</p>

<p>The few times I've visited Berkeley the campus, though active, seemed laid back and peaceful. There were students at the shops, sitting on the grass and just chilling, jogging, biking, everything that normal people do. They weren't all, say, in the library, studying.</p>

<p>Advice#3: Don't let your past experiences influence your opinion of future prospects.</p>

<p>My "advice":
You seem to have a black or white, either, or, type of belief such as these statements do: </p>

<p>At UCSC and UCSB you'll have a great social life, while not at Berkeley.</p>

<p>At Berkeley you'll always be around smart people, but you won't be at UCSB or UCSC.</p>

<p>Out of the 4,000 or so freshmen attending each of the UC's you mentioned, not everyone is going to fit into the stereotype of that campus. </p>

<p>The big question:
Are you are going to make an effort to find those people that you can possibly "click" with no matter where you go?
You're the one whose going to have to make the effort of going up to people and saying "hi my name is..." or calling up people to hang out, no matter what campus you're at. Try seeing if you can do this at your school. </p>

<pre><code> College isn't going to be some big miraculous social change from high school if you're not willing to make the effort. You blame the fact that you studied so much on your lack of a social life, but I'm willing to bet my paycheck that there are tons of kids are you school that are doing great academically, while they also have an active social life at school, outside of school, or both.
</code></pre>

<p>It's all how you will approach it.</p>

<p>From your post (no offense meant by my next comment) it sounds like you are naturally socially awkward, and that no matter which UC you go to, you're going to have a bit of a challenge being social. </p>

<p>Make it a goal that for the remaining part of the school year to meet and get to know at least five new people. And before you say "that is so stupid" think about it, if you can't even try for that, what's the likelihood of you being able to get to know a couple hundred in the UCs versus that small measly five at your school?</p>

<p>And you should pick the school that not only feels right for you socially, but also academically. You're not (or actually your parents I assume) are not paying around 25,000 a year just so you can try to have a better social life.</p>

<p>Littlestars you make some very good points, but not the very last one. That $25,000 will indeed be very well spent if Jerome is able to grow into an adult with a rich social life. Learning social skills will determine if Jerome is ever capable of living a happy and meaningful life. Social skills follow you everywhere you go in life, without them it will be a painful struggle. Having our children grow into happy, well adjusted and socialble individuals is every parents secret dream for success as we send them off to college.</p>

<p>"And you should pick the school that not only feels right for you socially, but also academically. You're not (or actually your parents I assume) are not paying around 25,000 a year just so you can try to have a better social life."</p>

<p>I personally think that's a good point, if you only pick a school because you are worried about having an active social life, then my vote is to go to CC, save the money, and use some of it to go out and party every night.</p>

<p>Or yeah, maybe it does vary by parent, but I know for sure that if I told mine that I wanted to go to a certain school because I knew I could make more friends there, they'd laugh at me, and probably think I'm crazy for spending 25,000 and possibly giving up some great opportunities at the other schools, just because I think I could make more friends at a certain place. But all the UCs are definitely good, so I know he'll be fine wherever he chooses.</p>

<p>An active social life does not mean getting drunk every night. Socially an individual could be doing community service, playing intramural sports, in academic or political clubs, involved in sports promotion, campus radio or tv, giving volunteer campus tours etc, etc, etc.... The opportunities are endless. The point is doing these social activities and becoming involved in the life of the campus while interacting with other students is essential to your growth as a person. If you use college to sit in your room and study you are wasting all of your opportunities for growth. You will have no resume besides your gpa. You might as well sit at home and do college online. Good luck to you.</p>

<p>One of the smartest kids from our local high school chose UCSC over Cal and Wellesley because she loved the campus, the attitude and it had a good department for what she is interested in. Look at yourself and what makes you happy and then look at each campus to find those things.</p>

<p>I agree with you Caligali. I graduated from UCSC. I was also accepted to Cal but chose UCSC instead because of the atmosphere and I never regreted my decision once. I read all these posts about which has more prestige, school x vs school x and 1st tier and 2nd tier schools but who really is deciding for you? US News? Princeton Review? I really do wish that people do understand that prestige also depends on how how the school is, and it takes time for that to happen. Anyway, you can take me for an example: I am currently a 2L (2nd year law student) at Stanford U and received my B.A. in Physical Anthropology at my beloved UCSC.</p>