Indiana Kelley, TCU Neeley, UMiami Spring Herbert or SMU NOT Cox

Son contemplating Finance Degree - thinks he knows, but really wants a warm climate (we are from New England)

Narrowed choices to direct admit to Indiana (IU) Kelley, TCU Neeley, UMiami Spring for Herbert and SMU but NOT Cox - so could do economics (or the like) with finance minor in Cox. Thankfully money is not the overriding factor.

IU Kelley has best ranking and think reputation but Mom concerned about IU size (thinks he needs smaller) for academics and social life. Son not as concerned but concerned with the colder weather at IU Kelley.

TCU nice, son not feeling the vibe.

UMiami was what he wanted but not crazy about the Spring admission.

SMU does not have direct admit into COX but mom likes the size.

Thoughts? Help!! 5/1 is arriving like a bullet train!

Wow - it’s like when the door opens it closes :slight_smile: Still great choices:

1. IU is a solid flagship - so if you are in at Kelly, that’s great. But weather is going to be same as New England for a few months a year.

2. Miami - is there a way to petition for Fall - or can you talk to some who go in Spring? Some allow you to take a class or still be part of campus. I would think in general Spring admission would stink.

3. Mom likes SMU - what about the son.

4. TCU - eliminate - he doesn’t like.

Truth is, you can go to any dream school and be miserable - bad roomie, bad profs, etc. And go to the worst school and meet your BFF.

Let me throw out another suggestion - and there’s probably others to look at - assuming that’s your entire list.

U of Arizona - Eller School is solid, it’s warm, while it’s a flagship it’s also not a huge campus and the university ave area is way nicer than Bloomington. If you have a 3.75 UW GPA or more, it will be reasonable - and if you have a 3.9+ cheap.

Oh the best part, the application will take you 30 mins and you can get in until May 3rd - so if you did it in the next couple days, etc. You’d have weather, finance, scenery (the desert is unreal and your son will say the girls) and maybe it’s a hail mary for you.

Otherwise - you’ll have to choose from options that you don’t lvoe. I’d probably go to SMU if he likes - but I’d seriously research Zona.

Thanks for the reply TSBNA44!! Interesting on the SMU take - something is making us reconsider!

Unfortunately no way to petition for Fall at UMiami - they are pretty strict about that.

SMU son really liked but with the Cox decline, he is dismissing - but I’m wondering if he should consider the liberal arts/business minor route.

He’s playing close to the vest on what he really wants - we need more discussions.

Agree on your take - no certainties either way. Just would like him to point himself in the best direction possible,

He’s also been accepted to Fairfield, MichState, UDayton, Bentley, Bryant and some other local schools. He’s been deferred regular decision (6/1) at Clemson. Waitlisted at Bucknell but its out in the middle of nowhere for him.

Interesting on the U AZ - seemed too big but will check it out.

Can you transfer in? I was dying to go to Syracuse for journalism. They didn’t let me in - just in their Arts & Sciences - sort of - we’ll take their money. I worked hard and got in. Is that an option? If you truly want a major, I’d recommend going for that major - not a substitute and hope. Why I mentioned taking a flyer at AZ - easy to get into but a good school. Can’t beat the weather.

AZ is big - but the campus is manageable.

You didn’t mention the others - but again, it’s the weather thing - because you have strong options, especially Bentley.

If you say Indiana, I say Mich State (he’ll be a popsicle) or Arizona. They’re all big!! AZs campus though, nice, simple to manage, and while it’s likely too late for Honors, the Honors dorm is nicer than your house with a cafetaria in the building and a fancy gym and counseling services next door. Oh, and a block from Eller (the B school). I was just there last week with my daughter.

I think I’m selling my house, and like Rodney Dangerfield, going Back to School - moving into that dorm!!!

Thanks tsbna44.

At SMU, only about 100 per year can still get into the business school - competition is TIGHT. That’s why direct admit is preferred. I would hope he would take the approach of working hard etc!

Will take at look at AZ! Thanks for the input!! Really appreciate it!!

if nothing else - it’s another outlet - of course. that’s why the CC is here. There are other schools you can still get into - that’s just the one on top of mind - because people look for inexpensive - and Eller is a good name.

You had some good names on there - you just forgot the part about - he’s not loving cold - and then applied to cold schools :slight_smile:

He’ll end up in the right place - and like I said, perhaps Miami has an alternative Fall - i dunno - where you can do “something” like abroad, etc. If he really loves it, maybe that’s the ticket.

They gave my daughter $25K - but that’s $80K a year - it’s very expensive - the night life, etc. I don’t see the value. I can pay - but I choose not to.

My daughter chose College of Charleton - another mid size, more urban school. Not sure if they are still taking apps.

Of those, if dead set on finance, I’d suggest Kelley but a Houston friend visited there and felt it was isolated and it’s cold in winter. May not be an issue for DS. Big business focus and support.

Lots of other avenues at SMU other than Cox direct admit. Last year Guidance counselors worked with students on alternatives and had a high acceptance yield. Other than Econ and Data Science, there’s EMIS which has strong outcomes. I know someone with private equity internship and another at Big 4 consulting that majored in EMIS.

1 Like

tsbna44 - His applications were done based on higher ranked business schools that we thought he could get into. The weather has evolved as a more important factor for him since the applications were submitted in November.

Thanks for the perspective on UMiami re: cost/benefit. Stats prove that out but the palm trees are talking to my son. There is a Spring admit CC group I’ve been following - I’ll keep looking through.

They all end up at the right place - just getting that final decision is tough! Best of luck to your daughter at College of Charleston. Lots of kids from our high school go and like it!

Thanks for the comment re “Isolated and cold in winter” Agree on the other takes re: Kelley - lots of good there.

re: SMU - got a letter from them yesterday about Cox alternatives that has me reconsidering. Might be worth investigating more. Nice to hear about the private equity internship experience for the EMIS major. All good stuff.

I hate to say it again - but you said Palm Trees. No, I didn’t go there I did my MBA at ASU and have no reason to push U of A other than it’s quality, has great merit, has a late application, oh - and has a boat load of palm trees - I noticed Monday. Check out Eller School - it’s solid. btw - of the list you sent b4 Bentley is outstanding!!

tsbna44 - thanks for intel - palm trees have their appeal.

RE: Bentley - per DS great school but not enough girls and not enough “College Fun” feel.

Go figure!

Yes, you had the Dayton’s of the world…and then IU and Michigan State.

My daughter came down to College of Charleston and U of SC - and we live in TN - go figure.

She chose Charleston as it’s mid size, the city is fantastic, and she’s in a cohort program of 12 within Honors whereas at U of SC just in Honors.

Everything about Charleston was great - except one thing. Lack of school spirit - because they don’t have a football team. So I get it. Also, it’s 2/3 girls and I think my daughter worried about that. Still she chose the best fit.

The outcomes at Bentley (and Babson) are strong. But your son’s feeling is a legit concern.

Most consider Kelley an elite school - it’s not - but it’s in that next tier - it’s strong. Most consider IU gorgeous - it’s very nice. Most consider Bloomington a great college town. Honestly, I don’t see that - it’s not that nice and it’s sort of in the middle of nowhere but only an hour from Indy.

You won’t go wrong, really at any school - but the Palm Trees have allure.

I just read the U Spring admission FAQ - they don’t guarantee housing, I assume no merit aid? Doesn’t come off very nice - to me. Doesn’t mean how it is.

The good thing is you have great options!!

One other thing to consider - we all spend gazillions of hours analyzing, visiting, and trying to find the right fit. But it’s best not to get emotionally attached - to anywhere. Why? You find the perfect school - but have a bad roommate, professor you can’t understand, whatever. You could go to the least desirable school on your list - and meet your b44.

Even with all the analysis, it’s all a crapshoot.

Good luck.

tsbna44 - Thank you so much for your time and perspective today! I really appreciate it!! A lot of great advice packed in here! A crapshoot indeed!!

You’re right about the U Spring admission - not sending you the welcoming warm and fuzzies. The message is “if you want us, this is how we will take you”

So much to think about!! Or not - pull it out of a hat!!

Thanks!

Funny - we thought the same of U Florida. My daughter had FSU as her 3rd choice. UF is now ranked very highly. But they made if feel like they mattered and you were lucky enough to be associated vs. vice versa.

Is there any financial concerns at any school or has one given you such a fantastic deal vs. others? I know some say they can afford - but it’s still a boat load. Of course, that’s an individual decision.

My daughter is in at W&L - which is a top liberal arts school $81K. We chose $34K.

Miami for us - mid 50s.

Even though I can afford it it’s just a boatload - but again, that’s an individuals call.

If I’m majoring in finance, I’m going cheap - it’s a common major, lots of jobs, and he’ll be fine anywhere.

PS - sorry - I go overboard :slight_smile: The good news is - your son has great options. His “hot buttons” may have changed - but it’s not like he’s applied to ten schools and came up 0 for 10. So look at it from the positive for sure!!!

tsbna44 - once again GREAT perspective! Thankfully money not an issue but just don’t want to spend “crazy town” money unless there is a really good reason. Willing to place some value on a school that will “open doors” for him in the finance world as one doesn’t always have to go the MBA route.

Great for your daughter with those awesome choices in this crazy year! My DS does have some really good choices in that “next tier” as you said so lots to be positive about.

Thanks again!!

So - as someone with an MBA and someone who works with MBAs and non-MBAs - where you go to school is less an issue.

The reason - no “real school” will take you for an MBA without two years plus work experience. And your experience will matter most. Not that you have a great job - but that you have a job and do something that can relate and add to classroom discussion.

My company hires undergrads and have hired some MBAs who went through. Guess what, one makes $42K or so to start. The MBAs - $42K or so. It’s wasted.

Now you might say - well if you have a more pedigree school it can get you into a better MBA. Perhaps. but there’s people from South Dakota State and Boise State and Alaska Anchorage, etc. at top 20 MBA programs too.

Again, your money. We just decided that even though we can afford more pedigree, should we - Miami being one of the schools - and made the choice that we shouldn’t. Nonetheless, I think any of your choices again will serve just find for grad school - bu it’s the work experience that matters most.

Once you get past the Ivies/Duke/Stanford, etc. - Miami, SMU, Dayton, IU, Arizona :slight_smile: - it doesn’t matter - and even if you end up at SMU and don’t major in finance - it’s not going to impact the MBA. I was a history/journalism dual major at Syracuse who failed in journalism, used to be an outside sales guy before grad school - and I got through just fine.

Your son has a bright future and obviously a great mom. I’ll shut up now - i’ve pontificated long enough!!

Having a current Jr. at SMU I would say no way without direct admit to Cox or Lyle … nearly impossible now to transfer in. They may throw out a bunch of business-like options to fill A&S but you have to look at ALL of the core curriculum prerequisites you would be “stuck” with to see if those appeal to you. Further, you simply do not have access to the resources of those in Cox or Lyle which is a huge benefit and resource. Sounds like they must have added an EMIS major outside of the Engineering School/Lyle because that’s where it has been til this point …

1 Like

If SMU but not Cox can he use the business school job placement services? If not, that would be a negative. Don’t expect to transfer into Cox.

S20 applied to SMU and Miami. He got a very nice offer from SMU. Besides merit and honors he was offered BBA Scholar. Covid hit and we couldn’t visit. Wasn’t sure about fit so it came off the list.

Miami offered some money but not enough. He loved Miami. I wasn’t thrilled at first but after looking at the program I thought it was one of his best options. They’re very flexible and open with classes and majors. He was interested in Analytics and the way the major was structured was also a plus.

Son also considered Kelley but the size was a no go. Too big.

The Miami campus is beautiful of course. Our friend’s daughter graduates this spring and loved her 4 years. I wouldn’t worry about the Spring start. It’s just one semester. Can he take some gen ed elsewhere?

Kelley has the best rep and ranking and then SMU but if he’s set on Miami it’s a good option. I don’t think there’s a bad choice. Lots of companies moving to Florida.

Per Admission guide only Cox and performing arts have specific admission. Lyle is open but the required courses are challenging to fit in so one has to decide early-on to pursue that field. Double majors are encouraged. I know a guy who managed performing art (major?) and engineering. He was also in the band.

If you don’t like the other SMU options, look deeper into the spring admission at Miami. What plans do they offer for the fall? Could one do JUCO locally with coordinated transfer? Residence hall space for spring with roommate matching? They’d probably offer cool international business options in the degree plan.