Industrial Engineering: UW-Madison vs. Texas A&m vs. U of Illinois

<p>Hi I am an international student in US</p>

<p>I am graduating this year and I got accepted to UW, Texas A&M, and UI</p>

<p>I am going to study IE</p>

<p>I've visited UW, and I felt that it was too cold. Also, I thought that madison was kinda crowded</p>

<p>but everybody says that UW is a really great school</p>

<p>Since I hate winter and its tuition is cheaper, Texas A&M is attractive even though </p>

<p>its ranking is lower than that of UW and maybe less prestigious than UW</p>

<p>UI has one of the best engineering school in US, </p>

<p>but it is pretty expensive for outta-state students</p>

<p>So, tell me the best pick</p>

<p>YOU have to decide which factors are most important. Both Illinois and Wisconsin do have cold winters but probably better programs for you. None of us can tell you which pros and cons count the most for you. Just be happy with your decision and don’t look back.</p>

<p>Thanks for the answer! I think Texas A&M has raised out of state tuition greatly recently…
I was $18000 last year and this year it is $22000, so the difference from
Wisconsin is only $1000… I know the winter is brutal in wisconsin since I visited there,
but I think it is adaptable. I believe its prestige as the public ivy (according to people) and
prb I will go to wisconsin</p>

<p>Don’t let the weather scare you away from Madison. I know a girl who came to Madison from California who absolutely hated cold weather, and even she adapted. It’s a negative, but a small one when put next to the many great things about Madison, in particular the academics.</p>

<p>I guess u r right… I heard that in wisconsin there are many students from west coast…</p>

<p>This winter was very horrible and I went to wisconsin in the coldest time of year,</p>

<p>so honestly I was overwhelmed by the coldness… but wisconsin is absolutely a great school!</p>

<p>I don’t know if anyone’s reading this still, but both UI and UW are rough winters (I live between them). If you hate winter that much, Texas may be for you. Also, Madison is definitely a city. If you’re not okay with that much hustle and bustle, UI or Texas (i really don’t know anything about Texas) may be a better choice. That being said, I think UI probably has a slightly better program, although UW is still awesome. I think it just depends on how much you hate winter and how quiet of a campus town you want.</p>

<p>I read it, and I appreciate your reply!</p>

<p>Wis75 is flat out wrong. The NRC rankings place Texas A&M among the TOP FIVE universities in the entire country in Industrial Engineering – well above both Wisconsin (10th) and Illinois (13th). And the weather is more to your liking. Madison is cold cold cold. </p>

<p>I’d go to A&M. </p>

<p>[NRC</a> Rankings in Industrial Eng](<a href=“http://www.stat.tamu.edu/~jnewton/nrc_rankings/area24.html]NRC”>NRC Rankings in Industrial Eng)</p>

<p>Don’t let the weather scare you away. Yes, it is cold here, and yes, if you to come to visit for a week in the middle of January you might think the cold is unbearable. But if you live here you adjust very quickly. People adjust very quickly to whatever weather they have around them. What’s “normal” is whatever you are used to. It’s why Californians breakout winter jackets when it’s 60 degrees in LA.</p>

<p>There are people here from warm states and international students here from warm countries that adjust just fine.</p>

<p>But why does he need to “adjust” to cold weather to attend a university that is less highly regarded in industrial engineering than Texas A&M?</p>

<p>The difference between 5th and 10th best is hardly material to an eng. undergrad. If you value weather over being in an interesting city with much more to do than College Station then go to TAMU. But College Station never made any list of top college towns while Madison makes every one.</p>

<p>Texas A&M is a good school in engineering, as is UW. I don’t think 5 spots on a ranking list is really that big of a deal.</p>

<p>Personally, I would choose UW because of UW’s more international focus. Texas A&M has a student body that is 97% in state, while UW’s student body is 64% in state. kei98520 says he is an international student, so I would think he would probably want to go somewhere where there are more international students and in turn an atmosphere that is probably going to be more welcoming for him. For instance, UW has an international learning community program for Adams Hall where a lot of international students choose to stay.</p>

<p>The culture of the area may matter- Madison is known to be very liberal, and the city isn’t that large. Cold weather is okay when you’re supposed to be spending your time studying, there won’t be the hot weather of the south. Consider the overall experience. Choose your campus not only for your major but the rest of it. While you may be focused on engineering it is nice to be exposed to other aspects of the college scene. nova has an anti UW agenda, btw.</p>

<p>It’s hardly UW bias to take issue with wis75’s knee jerk statement that UW is “probably better” than A&M for industrial engineering. Clearly she didn’t do her research.</p>

<p>Wis75 has a pro UW agenda, btw.</p>