Industrial engineering?

Still comparing programs and trying to make a decision. While at FSU, one of the engineering majors that peaked interest was Industrial Engineering. I don’t see this specific major on UA’s website. Does anyone know if it is offered there?

Industrial Engineering was discontinued as a major a few years ago but almost all of the courses are still offered, albeit under slightly different names.

UA doesn’t offer a program in Industrial or System Engineering. They do have an Operations Management program within the business school (Bachelor of Science in Commerce and Business Administration).

http://www.ua.edu/majors/opmanage.html

Even though both majors touch on OM (and operations research); OM grads, in general, do not compete for the same jobs as IE grads. Compare the required (and elective) courses for OM (above link) with IE at FSU/FAMU:

http://www.eng.fsu.edu/ime/resources/pdf/UndergraduateManualRevision-05-21-14.pdf

IE will be more math intensive.

<<<
Industrial Engineering was discontinued as a major a few years ago but almost all of the courses are still offered, albeit under slightly different names.
<<<

Yes, and many of the IE profs are still at Bama teaching those classes that are now found in another E dept. I talked to two of these profs, and they recommended taking those classes as either a CivilE major or a ConstructionE major

This is what one of the IE profs sent me:

Many of the former industrial Engineering courses that were salvaged (i.e. Engineering Economy, Engineering Statistics, Project Management, Information Systems, Engineering Management, Operations Research, and Safety Engineering) are being taught via the Construction Engineering program (where I am currently assigned).Environmental Engineering and Civil Engineering students can also take these (mostly as electives).

Two of the former IE courses (Reliability and Maintainability, and a graduate-level Statistics class) are now taught through the Mechanical Engineering Department. Some of ME’s manufacturing courses have an overlap with their IE counterparts.

Yes, majoring in one of the degree programs that you identified and incorporating the former IE courses is a viable option. "

These were the 3 majors that I asked about in regards to incorporation the IE classes: CivilE, EnvironmentalE or ConstructionE

You do also have an option through New College to create an industrial engineering degree however you’ll lose the engineering scholarships and you won’t technically be in the college of engienering.

^^^ It also wouldn’t be an ABET accredited program. If you want an IE degree, UA isn’t an option. If you enroll at UA for engineering, pick one of the 9 ABET programs.

Aerospace, Aeronautical and Astronautical/Space Engineering
Chemical Engineering -
Civil Engineering
Construction Engineering
Electrical and Electronics Engineering (including Computer Engineering Option in Electrical Engineering)
Mechanical Engineering
Metallurgical Engineering
and Computer Sciences

If you cobble together the former IE courses while pursuing a different major, you’re still stuck taking the rest of that major which may not appeal to you. And, as Gator points out, you still don’t have an accredited IE degree at the end. My DS2 has chosen a different school specifically because he wants IE, not some IE-like patchwork. He has no interest in the other disciplines. If Bama still had IE, he would probably be headed there with his brother. Shame that they eliminated such a versatile (and in-demand) major.

<<<
It also wouldn’t be an ABET accredited program. If you want an IE degree, UA isn’t an option. If you enroll at UA for engineering, pick one of the 9 ABET programs.
<<<

If you choose another E discipline, and you take the IE classes, you will have an ABET e degree in that discipline…just not in IE.

For employment, I doubt it would hurt someone who has a CivilE or ConstructionE degree with those added IndustrialE classes. Employers usually aren’t that picky. Employers will usually state on the rec that a variety of degrees are acceptable.

I don’t think you can “create a E major” in new college. That is in A&S.