Info Ridgecrest East and West

Hi all, my son is a high school junior who will be applying to UA in the fall. His SAT test scores and GPA qualify him for the Honors College based on this year’s cutoff. I’d like for him to stay at the UA housing option reserved for Honor’s College students. As I understand it, the Ridgecrest community will be exclusively reserved for Honors College students.

Can you guys tell me what are costs for housing at Ridgecrest? For some reason, I am having a hard time finding this info on the UA website. Also, which is more preferable Ridgecrest East and West or Ridgecrest South?

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Here are the rates for 2014-15 http://housing.ua.edu/new_students/rates.cfm

Thanks @ilmomof2boys‌, I like your username.

RC South has a different suite layout to RC-East/-West, so be sure and check that out: http://housing.ua.edu/halls/ The dorm you see on tours, etc. is the RC-South layout. In RC E/W, the 4-BR suite rooms are in a linear line. I like the RC-S layout better, but my own S chose the linear layout (albeit in Riverside at that time). There are other threads and other people will no doubt weigh in about which complex is ‘preferable’. Good luck with your choice!

I live in RCE and would choose it again if I lived on campus again. The living room area is larger (there is not enough room in the RCS living room for my whole friend group so they always come here). We also have a storage room outside our suite. When I slept at south during Bama Bound, I didn’t sleep because of the bright lights from the courtyard and the basketball noises in the courtyard; this isn’t a big issue for everyone though. The E/W showers are much smaller, and the dorm overall is smaller (smaller halls and only 4 floors). I liked the linear layout so that it wouldn’t be two roommates separated on each side, but to each his own.

Both of my students lived in RCE and RCW. They loved it! They liked the storage room and the larger living room for their friends to gather. Generally, they are quieter dorms because they are much smaller. They still had great access to the parking garage and the RCS courtyard/basketball courts. Oh yeah, my son also had a wonderful lake view his last year in RCE. The shower is small, but my 6’5" son managed fine for his 2 years!

RCE on the backside has wonderful Lake View!