Information on Computer Science Program

<p>So I was wondering if anybody who might be majoring in CS could tell me about Purdue's program? I don't need to know anything that I could find on the website but maybe some personal experiences about the program. Maybe some info on how professors are, class size, load, coops, internships, etc. I also was wondering if somebody could tell me what makes CS at Purdue unique? I plan to also apply to CS at NC State and Georgia Tech and am wondering what would stand out at Purdue as compared to those two schools (mainly GT)? Also if it makes it easier I will PM with somebody in the program if it helps. Thanks in advance</p>

<p>I would also like to know this, as I've just accepted my admission offer for the Fall in CS.</p>

<p>Anybody?</p>

<p>i dont know why u keep posting the same questions in couple topics. many of ur questions have been answered. most of the information you are asking can be found on there website. All i know is im going to Purdue for CS. i havnt seen the school yet, but i hear great things about the new buildings. It has a strong program, nationally ranked. The other bonuses are that Purdue is known around the world unlike NC state. But GT is a tough choice. It is a little better but its ur preferences, i live in the midwest so going to Purdue is no different then the lifestyle here. So this should answer your questions.</p>

<p>Actually, I have never asked a question about the CS program except whether I could transfer into it if I didn't get into it initially. I have mentioned that I would apply to it when I apply to Purdue but its gone as far as that. I have asked to be chanced in a few threads but thats all. Also I specifically said things the site can't tell me like personal experiences or how the professors are. The site will do nothing but glorify the program. Personal experiences will tell me what students actually think of it.</p>

<p>and.. no one has really specifically answered most of these questions =/</p>

<p>I graduated with a degree in EE from Purdue. I had some friends in CS (and some who dropped out). I cannot give you too much personal insight into Purdue's CS department but I can relay some things I heard from others.</p>

<p>First and foremost, make sure you know what CS is and what you're getting into. There's more to it than opening Microsoft Visual Studio and typing a few lines of code and clicking the compile button hoping that magic will happen and your program will run. It seems that some people have a certain expectation of what CS is and when they actually find out what it really is they change their majors to management (engineering is similar).</p>

<p>Expect to work. A lot. You will spend a lot of time outside of class working on projects. A lot. If you are truly interested in CS you will probably enjoy this. If you just think it's a good career path you may find that it's too much, but you will be able to work your way through it with a bit of effort.</p>

<p>Like most majors, there are some more interesting classes and boring classes. The CS students I knew seemed to enjoy it. They seemed to be genuinely interested in CS and enjoyed what they were doing. They didn't seem to mind working on code and enjoyed solving the problems presented. Now, I only knew a handful of CS students so this is by no means a comprehensive view of Purdue's CS student body.</p>

<p>I posted something about Purdue EE here: <a href="http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/purdue-university-west-lafayette/664451-ucla-vs-purdue-electrical-engineering-2.html%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/purdue-university-west-lafayette/664451-ucla-vs-purdue-electrical-engineering-2.html&lt;/a> . You might find it interesting and some of it may apply to CS. Once again, I was not a CS major so my experiences with the department were limited.</p>

<p><a href="https://engineering.purdue.edu/ProPractice/Spotlights/IndustrialRoundtableStudentBooklet%5B/url%5D"&gt;https://engineering.purdue.edu/ProPractice/Spotlights/IndustrialRoundtableStudentBooklet&lt;/a> is some information about co-ops available at Industrial Roundtable (IR). It's a large job fair held every fall at Purdue where you can get co-ops, internships, and full time jobs. It is by no means an exhaustive list of the companies you may be able to get co-ops with, however.</p>

<p>wow I would have said thank you but it appeared on my computer as if nobody had posted in the thread. Also I have started to realize that most majors are not what I thought they were a year ago as I have started looking into more detail about then. I am still considering possibly going into engineering but when I apply it will definitely be CS.</p>