Initiation this Sunday

<p>So…is there a traditional gift for initiation? FWIW, my parents thought my house dues were gift enough. :)</p>

<p>Well, my bad. It never even occurred to me to give a gift. Now that I’m thinking about it, your parents were right;)</p>

<p>It is a tradition in our family to give our DD’s their lavaliers. James Avery has both the charm and a variety of chains. [James</a> Avery Jewelry](<a href=“http://search.jamesavery.com/?top_menu=1&snp=1&x1=tab.top_nav&x2=tab.drop_down&q1=Charms&q2=Sorority]James”>http://search.jamesavery.com/?top_menu=1&snp=1&x1=tab.top_nav&x2=tab.drop_down&q1=Charms&q2=Sorority)
Since y’all know that I am not good at links you might need to paste this in your browser. this link is just for the charm…you will need to google to find the chain if you are interested. There is a James Avery at The Summit in Birmingham.</p>

<p>Does The Trunk deliver? It did not occur to me to get an initiation gift since it seems like its been non stop since August.</p>

<p>After thinking about an initiation gift think I will put more money in her sorority account because I am so sure that they will have a T-shirt for initiation (and for curfew night and for the test and well you get it)!!!There seems to be a T-shirt for any and everything. I am surprised that there was not a pomping shirt or a menu of the week shirt!</p>

<p>Oh, man. The tee shirts. My DD can go quite awhile without doing laundry now.</p>

<p>I always thought lavaliers were mikes used in theater. The really old ones were hung around your neck just like a pendant. The modern ones are hidden in the hair and slightly hang down the forehead (taped in place). Very interesting! I am always interested in the origin of words.</p>

<p>A sorority lavalier would be lovely. My parents sent a bouquet of our sorority flower.
But house dues are great, too. And the first semester is the roughest, with extra new member fees, intiation fees, house corporation fees etc. etc.
Give the old folks a break.
Besides, Christmas is on its way. You can always ask for sorority goodies as a Christmas gift.</p>

<p>Shhh… don’t tell DD but I got her an adorable gold squirrel necklace for initiation in 2 weeks. She hasn’t shown a lot of interest in a lavalier, but this little guy was just too cute to pass up! Fingers crossed she loves it.</p>

<p>We will be in T-Town for the Tenn game on Sat, then DD’s apres-initiation banquet on Sunday. Sooo excited to see her (and her new sisters).</p>

<p>Initiation gift? Initiation banquet? </p>

<p>Had not even thought of an initiation gift at all. As others, isn’t the dues enough? LOL! And all of the t-shirts? </p>

<p>So this banquet? Is this something us parents are to be at?</p>

<p>i am sure lots of girls get a gift for initiation, but i i imagine that many do NOT. don’t fret too much.</p>

<p>if you want to (and it might be a bit late) i think some kind of necklace would be good (and easy to ship!). the lavalier from james avery, a charm of the sorority symbol (anchor, squirrel, kite, etc). you could even order cupcakes (not sure if they deliver or not). just a little something.</p>

<p>my kid has everything she needs … and she doesn’t really “want” a lot of things, so we don’t send gifts all the time.</p>

<p>aeromom, a sorority/fraternity lavalier is a necklace with a small pendant with the letters of the Greek group, usually stacked, in the same metal as the chain. Sorority members often wear them when it would be inappropriate to wear their badge, or in less formal situations.</p>

<p>At our school, a guy would give his steady girlfriend a lavalier with his fraternity letters. A jerk would buy them by the dozen and have a bunch of steady girlfriends.</p>

<p>It also means any necklace, usually with a simple pendant, or a microphone worn around the neck.</p>

<p>I never even heard the word when I went off to college.</p>

<p>I remember getting an owl necklace from by my big sister and wore it for the year like I normally wear my cross. I never was a jewelry wearer, being a swimmer, but that necklace meant a lot to me that year. I even have a senior portrait like picture with said necklace and black drape, just like appears in my senior high school yearbook. Just your being there for your daughter’s initiation will probably mean the world to her. That’s awesome that you guys will be there for them.</p>

<p>Glad I went with the three oversized patriotic-themed Bro Tanks… Her Big gave her a Lavalier in her Initiation gift basket.</p>

<p>…bet she wears the tanks more.</p>