Inner workings of the Prep School College Advising Office

We were figuring August for a flight and tours. We too have no solid list here, and I really want to be vaccinated first.

1 Like

I think informal visits even without students on campus is better than no visit.
I keep hoping there arenā€™t going to be huge crowds since everything has gotten pushed back.

1 Like

I should have picked up on that. I have a D21 too and agree itā€™s a mess.

I talk a lot more to parents of ā€™21s than parents of 22ā€™s, but a lot of places are currently impossible to visit. Without getting into politics the general theme seems to be the redder the state the better your chances to get physically on campus.

Iā€™m hoping summer will be better. Visits without kids on campus are not as valuable, but something is better than nothing and that might be what we have to work with right now. Then hopefully enough people are vaccinated the fall is better.

1 Like

Yes, worst-case scenario for Spring is we visit like-sized schools and see what criteria are important and which are not. We did that we BSā€™s and then created a list.
Always can visit after being accepted ( a nightmare, but also a possibility in this day and age). I donā€™t know if weā€™ll get to out of state schools. I donā€™t want to fly.
Iā€™m not that hopeful Fall will be ā€œgood enoughā€ to open. Itā€™s moving slowly here. But Iā€™ll have to stay optimistic which is easier when the sun is shining.

1 Like

As the mom of a senior, who did visit some schools and then the rest online, Iā€™d suggest narrowing at first by what they think they want and trying to visit a few schools near your home to confirm that sense. We visited our state flagship campus and a small college campus before making a bigger list and my son was definitely more into larger schools, preferably schools with a lot of school spirit. He also really liked schools with residential college systems. Think about proximity/quality of the college town, makeup of student body, proximity to recreation, weather, etc. that could really help narrow it down!

1 Like

Your son is describing the University of Michigan to a ā€œT.ā€ Go Blue! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

I started with Grotonā€™s raw matriculation figures, then adjusted for college size to determine the percentage of the student body represented by GS graduates at their commonly chosen colleges. Though this shows more recent matriculation figures than the ones I used for the ranking posted up-topic, it should be obvious why tiny Scripps would again place first even without completing the math: Matriculations | Groton School. For a fuller discussion, search ā€œGroton-like Collegesā€ in ā€œPrep School Cafe.ā€

1 Like

He was accepted there, Boulder, and UVA in EA, now waiting on the 13 private schools :rofl:

2 Likes

Because I know the backstory - that was the cut off gpa to apply to a summer program. And it was a hard cut off + the admin of the program did not understand what it meant for DA kids. So the Choate kids would also have had to attain just a 3.85.

Just clarifying. And commiserating, my kid wouldnā€™t be able to apply for anything like that despite being constantly praised by teachers as outstanding and impressive.

I do think thereā€™s a weird problem when the general policy is that kids cannot get over x in a class. I see similar grade compression and I donā€™t think itā€™s merited. Iā€™ve read some of the papers getting 89ā€™s and they are CRAP. But then an ā€œoutstandingā€ paper is a 95. I donā€™t think thereā€™s enough differentiation there. But I suspect that the true problem is that many kids should be getting 75-80 and parents made such a stink that those grades hardly exist. Iā€™m ok with the 95, as long as the bad essay gets a 70, not an 89. If that makes any sense.

Beyond that, it is one of the things I have to just place my trust in the system and hope my kid figures it out.

4 Likes

Thanks - yes it is sometimes difficult when coaches donā€™t know your school, or when summer programs have a hard cut off. Kiddo did get into that program last summer and it was online.

1 Like

Yes, @Golfgr8 mentioned that upthread:

But then she mentioned it again relating to the college process, so I responded in that context:

But itā€™s nice to know that it all worked out for her daughter:

This is when Iā€™m glad Iā€™m an obsessive planner. DS and I went last year before the chaos. We did hit a few within driving distance (for us Texans, thatā€™s about 10 hours one-way) after COVID. I know the thought of flying is scary, but actually scientific studies show airline travel is safer than eating in a restaurant.

We only have two schools that DS applied to that he hasnā€™t seen. One of them is overseas. If the schools (BS) didnā€™t have quarantine requirements, Iā€™d have flown him to the one school and met him there. Iā€™d also have flown DD to her one school we hadnā€™t seen, but when her school required quarantine after traveling, we canceled that trip, too.
:cry:

I agree Zoom fatigue is real. DS was connected with a student at one school and they FaceTimed him around campus to give him a feel for student/residential life. That was the one that stood out to him.

Only ā€œeasierā€ ones are Trinity College (#44 LACs) and UVM. Only publics among the top 27 targets are UVM, which has a $61K OOS COA, and UVA.

Scripps is an intriguing draw. Is St Andrews an easier but more expensive entry? Golferā€™s paradise! Beautiful area.

1 Like

Good question @buuzn03 regarding college visits. We have not heard from the school on this yet. We do know several students who went over the extended break to visit college campuses - even though the students were gone for the Holidays. We have been on a number of virtual visits ā€œvisitsā€ and virtual ā€œopen housesā€ with different colleges.

Lā€™Ville published a nice guide for their students. Helpful information for all. Here is link.

We were able to take our daughter ('22) to visit some colleges last August; there were a handful on her list that were doing in person visits at the time (High Point, Elon, Roanoke College); but as we go into spring break in a few weeks, we canā€™t find any others that are offering visits. Hoping that schools open up a bit this summer. My heart goes out to the '21 kids who have not had a chance to see any of their schools.

2 Likes

UVM shows up on these matriculation lists so much because itā€™s a good school that is typically an easyish admit for many boarding school students in EA. It means that your kid can know that they are going somewhere early in the process. As for the COA, they are very generous with merit for OOS students so 60K - 20k/year makes it much more affordable than the private colleges that hover around 70k/year. Two of my kids (Kent and Hotchkiss grads) found that to be true. My wife did a semester at UVM before heading off to Middlebury as a Feb Freshman and she liked it so much that her siblings had to convince her to leave.

2 Likes

Our school had a college admissions webinar last night. An interesting take-away was the impact that COVID-related deferrals will have on the spots available in the coming year(s). The college AO avoided answering directly, but the message was that there will be fewer spots available for students applying. While that is not something that students can control or let impact their pursuit of any particular school, it will likely contribute to students applying to even more schools.

6 Likes

Thanks@Altras for sharing. We have heard the same thing from AOā€™s from a few colleges. This has impacted recruiting - on a couple of levels. There is no room, or only a couple of spots, on the bench or on the team at several schools. Eligibility has been extended. This has been told to us from a coach at a private school and a large state university.

Not just athletics. This is what we were told by coaches and a couple of AOā€™s from colleges. Many students from 20ā€™ decided to wait a year and they expect this also from the 21ā€™ graduates. I may be worrying for nothing, but my gut is telling me that itā€™s going to be extra tight at the most commonly mentioned schools for the class of 22. This is adding to the stress for 21ā€™s currently and anticipated for next year. Meanwhile, less popular schools will see a dip in applicants and are going to hurt financially.

2 Likes

Weā€™ve actually heard the opposite from schools. They are still graduating the same amounts, and they still had the same amount of admissions from last year to this. So, although the deferrals would cause there to be a larger number of incoming freshman, it would also cause there to be less sophomores. Overall, the population of the school would not change. At least, this is how it was explained to us.

My understanding is that most schools are NOT admitting less students this year, so the number of spots available remains the same. In addition, there are many schools NOT allowing deferral just because of COVID.

Athletics is a different matter, because NCAA has allowed seniors to compete one more year due to the drastic effect COVID had on athletic competitions this year. So, @Golfgr8 is right in that there are fewer spots on the benches for incoming freshmen. I would think, though, that schools would still want to recruit and then red-shirt them.

What has changed is the fact that TO has attracted/encouraged many students who would not have otherwise tried for a selective school are trying this year. I do not think this will affect those coming from strong schools who are well-known to these selective colleges for producing well-prepared students so much. I think it will more likely affect those who are coming from schools not usually represented.

But this is my own opinion based on what we have been told by AOs/administrators from the several colleges we have pursued. We shall see in about 6 weeks. I will say that so far, we have had excellent luck with EA schools, some of which are pretty selective.

1 Like