Input on TCU or SMU

<p>My daughter also was just accepted to TCU and SMU. She is a fairly laid back girl from Florida. She is bright and attractive In addition, she LOVES country music and the country vibe. She is concerned about the elitist factor. While I do believe that SMU has always been the more selective school with a more rigorous program, it seems that TCU is beginning to catch up to become equally as competitive. </p>

<p>My daughter does want to rush and have that whole greek experience. She wonders whether she will really have that at TCU since the school does not have traditional style houses where the girls eat and live at the house. </p>

<p>Lastly, we did like that TCU students live on campus as freshman and sophomore. We have heard mixed comments about SMU students moving off campus as sophomores.</p>

<p>I hope that some of the more knowledgable members of CC can weigh in on this dilemma.
We can't seem to find clarity in making this important decision!!!!</p>

<p>It sounds like TCU is the perfect match for you. My son is at TCU and also was accepted to SMU (as mosts applicants are). One of his best friends goes to SMU. The schools seem similar in size, Texas hospitality, beautiful, academia, great towns (both Fort Worth and Dallas), very connected alumn, lots of California kids, very Greek and plenty of money. No, TCU doesn’t have sorority houses, it has sorority dorms. All TCU freshmen and sophomores must live on campus (Greek or regular dorm) and they eat at the BLUU. It makes for a terrific close-knit community! TCU is wrapped around sports. Many many kids go to all sports games so there is lots of purple and school spirit everywhere - if that is important to you. TCU is very down-to-earth but don’t let that fool you about affluence. TCU provides lots of opportunity for leadership, great clubs, theater, comedy improv, music. There was even a campus wide game of Hide and Seek last fall. </p>

<p>Last, TCU was the second most selective school in Texas last year. Rice was first. It is pulling top students from everywhere and now competes with many same-size schools like Tulane, Clemson, Chapel Hill, U of Miami and more. THere was a terrific article in Fort Worth Magazine on the Rise of TCU last summer. Try to find it online!</p>

<p>My daughter is in exactly the same situation! We are from CT. Changes her mind all the time! It’s so hard!! She loves so many aspects of TCU but originally fell in love with SMU.
Thanks for all the great info about your son! It helped a lot!</p>

<p>@ allgrownup2 and flgirlmom
D is a Freshman at TCU and was just like your daughter last year. She fell in love with SMU’s campus but was accepted at TCU first and connected so well with the students on the TCU Facebook page (yours should be TCU class of 2016). SMU had one as well but it was not as active last year.
As far as their majors go, I can only speak about their pre-med neuroscience major. Science classes at TCU are quite rigorous and compare to any other colleges. The pre-med students can join a pre-med society and can participate in a shadow program at local Fort Worth hospitals. It is a great experience and addition to their resume.
I also agree with Rice1961, TCU is as selective as SMU. Applicants are more and more qualified and it is getting quite competitive.<br>
As far as the elitist factor, TCU has their share of affluent students as well, therefore I would not let that factor affect her decision.
D is also part of a sorority and also wondered about not having a sorority house. She loves her sorority and her sisters and does not feel like she is missing anything by not having a house. Greek houses are in the plans for TCU but I am not sure of their time frame. You might also want to tell your daughter that TCU rushes in the Summer, the week before school starts and SMU does not rush until the second semester, which I understand can be quite stressful for some girls due to their pre-rush policies. Being part of a sorority as soon as school started made D feel part of the campus immediately.
As far as country music, Billy Bob is the place to go!!! The place is very popular with TCU students for country music concerts and/or a night out. D goes there a few times a month.
Let’s not forget the football games, TCU and the Big 12 next season!!! Fort Worth goes crazy for TCU football and purple is everywhere!!! It is a great social scene even if you are not a football fanatic.
In the end, my daughter has been very happy with her decision to go to TCU. She has made tons of great friends there and could not wait to go back after Xmas break.
Let me know if your daughters have any questions, my daughter or myself can answer.</p>

<p>I have/had students at both schools. My son LOVED SMU, graduated in '11 and is in grad school. Daughter is a soph at TCU and she loves it. I think TCU is more laid back than SMU. I took d on a tour of both schools and noticed SMU students not as friendly as TCU. Definitely would say there are a lot more privileged kids at SMU (but not all) Felt like it was a lot of "keep up with the Joneses at SMU. I would also tell you to consider her major… if she know what she wants to study. S was business/accounting major and I think SMU has slightly better business school than TCU. All in all, both are good schools.</p>

<p>My biggest concern would be the TCU administration. They raised over 350 million and spent almost half of it on their football stadium. TCU does NO research and has very little in graduate programs. </p>

<p>TCU did receive a record number of applicants with their football program’s success, but their average SAT rose only slightly, which means they are having a record number or mediocre applicants applying. I think their football programs success has raised the awareness of the University, but I don’t know if it has been all positive.</p>

<p>I do believe from my sons response, it is more country/laid back than SMU. But, if your daughter get the best education possible, SMU wins hands down on the education front. The faculty is top notch. We are from the bay area, and my son looked at both schools</p>

<p>Good luck to you and your daughter.</p>

<p>I have to take exception with you about your comment of mediocrity. My TCU bound child had SATs of 2300, one sitting, not super scored. All 5’s on AP exams. Intended roommate is National Merit commended. Many Texas valedictorians and salutatorians will be at TCU next year. Not what I would consider “mediocre”. There is a definite uptick in the caliber of students headed to TCU, especially in the Honor’s program. Are all TCU students future Rhodes and Fulbright Scholars? Certainly not, but neither are SMU’s. </p>

<p>We just returned from an incredible two day orientation at TCU, where we were amazed by the attention students and parents were given, the quality and devotion of the faculty to its student body, and the many options awaiting students at TCU, including being in a fun, manageable city, which has an incredible partnership with TCU. </p>

<p>I have to wonder why SMU parents feel the need to frequently bash TCU on this site.</p>

<p>Tsherman, you have made multiple posts on College Confidential complaining about how TCU chooses to raise funds and improve its campus. I’m not sure why you are so angry about that, since your son chose a different school. Flgirlmom has asked about issues that are important to her and her daughter, and they are the same concerns that we worked through at our house a year ago. While the quality of education is a top priority for almost all parents, it is also important that a student feel a connection to the school, classmates and the nearby community. It doesn’t matter how highly regarded a school is on the academic side if a student feels isolated, disconnected or unfulfilled. Your response did absolutely nothing to help answer her questions, which is the whole point of this thread.</p>

<p>My daughter will be a sophomore at TCU. She was also accepted to SMU and received a very generous scholarship offer, which is why we studied both schools very closely. I truly believe she would have done well and been happy at either school, but I do think she chose the one that better fits her personality. She is a pre-business and modern language double major who has been very challenged by her classes to date. Like a lot of her Honors College classmates, because of AP/IB credit she was able to skip a lot of the typical core freshman classes and go straight into lower level business classes. Like any college, she has some teachers that she has enjoyed more than others. However, she says that all have been responsive and helpful, and seem to want their students to enjoy and truly understand the subject they teach. She feels very comfortable e-mailing or stopping by to visit with a teacher, more so than I ever did during my college days. She has three advisors, one each for business, foreign language and Honors College, and all have been very helpful in choosing classes and planning for the long-term.</p>

<p>My daughter went through fall rush last August and is very happy with her sorority. SMU does spring rush, which has good and bad aspects. It gives you more time to get to know the sororities, but January seems a very long way away when you’re a freshman away from home for the first time and don’t yet know a lot of your classmates. D watched a very close friend go through SMU rush this spring, and while her friend is very happy with her sorority now, on more than one occasion her friend noted that fall rush gives you an immediate social life at TCU, whereas she floundered somewhat her first semester at SMU because she didn’t have that immediate connection. This fall, her friend is moving into a off-campus apartment and not her sorority house, but I’m not sure why. My daughter will be moving into her sorority house, which is really just a dorm with first floor common areas, but she is very excited about living with the girls she has grown to know this past year. While the Greek houses do not have dining facilities, and each resident has to purchase a meal plan for the campus cafeteria, I don’t think that aspect will really diminish her Greek experience.</p>

<p>The laid-back atmosphere of Ft. Worth is a real draw to a lot of students and their families. We always have a great time when we take the younger kids and go visit her. Last year D and her roommate made the most of the opportunities that Ft. Worth offers, but they also made a couple of visits to Dallas to visit SMU friends and had a great time there. The two campuses have a very different feel, but that doesn’t mean one is better than the other. Sometimes different is just different, not better or worse. Whichever school your daughter chooses, she will have the opportunity to make great friends and be part of a great college community. Best wishes for her freshman year!</p>

<p>TCU administration didn’t “choose” to spend over $100 million of nearly $400 million during ‘The Campaign for TCU’ on a new stadium. I’m so tired of hearing that bogus claim, along with the “TCU raised tuition to pay for the new stadium!!!” one. </p>

<p>With that said, this topic is a few months old and i’m sure the OP has selected a college. I guess you bumped it since you felt the need to diss TCU? I don’t know.</p>

<p>tsherman, the football program at every university is funded through boosters and independent donors and has no relevance to tuition rates.</p>

<p>Exactly. It’s not like the football team won’t make that money back in 5 years anyways. Football = $$$</p>

<p>This is not even remotely true. Stadium was 100% privately funded.</p>

<p>I just have one comment to throw in about Greek life and the “lack of traditional sorority houses at TCU”. I pledged a sorority at LSU where there were “traditional” sorority houses and I lived in the house there. I transferred to TCU and lived in the sorority house there and the feeling is no different. The only difference is that the sorority houses are sort of “condo style” in that they connect by a wall to another sorority. They are decorated beautifully, just like at LSU.<br>
The fun part about TCU is that all the sororities and fraternities would eat together at the same cafeteria and, believe me, that was more fun than looking at the same group of girls every single day!</p>

<p>is TCU hard to get into? What was his GPA and ACT score?</p>

<p>Yes, TCU is quite selective. S’s GPA was 4.3 weighted and a 2100 on the SAT. He was admitted to the Honors College in 2011. Since that time, TCU has gotten more selective but, the school is not made up of all Honors students. Check out US News & World Report for their most recent admissions criteria.</p>

As a former top 10% High School student in the top public school in the US in Dallas, I can promise you TCU is not as amazing as some parents claim it to be. Not only did almost no one in our class accepted it, but everyone was accepted into it. SMU however, is much better in my opinion. I attend the engineering department there and it is amazing. Can’t speak for any other part, but if your son or daughter wishes to go into a technical field, SMU would be the place to go.

Thank you for your input and this thread is from 2013.