Inside Medicine. What Are You Seeing? [COVID-19 medical news]

Plenty of vaccines don’t prevent transmission. Neither flu vaccines nor whooping cough vaccines prevent transmission. Therefore, a doctor would be irresponsible to say we expect the COVID vaccines to prevent transmission.

2 Likes

Given Fauci’s work resume, I would expect he could phrase the message in a way that would be considered as supportive, yet informational. Or, have one of the many that work for him do so.

Being wrong is often damaging for policy people but a cost of doing business for scientists. If he had said “shouldn’t make an appreciable difference as to overall transmission, but that’s just my educated opinion”, I wouldn’t hold him to being correct.

Conversational dead-ends like this tend to result in a conversation finding out what mortality truly means. Y’all carry on.

Fauci has been so called on for so many comments, suggestions, directions, that I don’t begrudge an occasional remark that isn’t perfect.

We need to be absorbing his overall message, not parsing occasional phrasing.

7 Likes

I am a physical therapist who works for a hospital owned home care company. I will receive my vaccine on Tuesday, next week. My hospital is strongly recommending the vaccine but not requiring it. We will have to continue to wear the appropriate PPE.

7 Likes

Was on a Zoom call Monday that included physicians in a few states. They said that their facilities would be getting the Moderna vaccine, and this was Monday, so it sounded like a pretty done deal that approval would be forthcoming. I am still waiting to get the information on the Novavax trial, and will decide when I read it.

1 Like

NY Times had a long piece about Covid deaths in young people – it is labeled as opinion, but its written by several doctors looking at excess deaths (+12,000) among the 25-44 age group. Not all Covid, but they say health department data shows that the vast majority are Covid related.

So my takeway is that even though the overall death rate for young people is a lot less than for older people, Covid is still causing a spike in deaths in an age group where death is pretty rare. Or to put it another way, odds of our young adult offspring dying of Covid are far less than the odds of our elderly relatives, but a lot more than the odds of them dying from anything else, or anything at all.

Link: Opinion | People Thought Covid-19 Was Relatively Harmless for Younger Adults. They Were Wrong. - The New York Times

1 Like

Received Pfizer vaccine today. So far no symptoms of any kind.

19 Likes

Covid health care worker here. The Pfizer vaccine has arrived in my city, and is being given at the other two hospitals, 3 including a VA. We were told to anticipate the vaccine, and then none has been allotted for my facility, so far. My hospital is a regional medical destination, though allied with a larger hospital. This is so disheartening to staff, who have been working hard for months caring for Covid patients. Our administration is being less than transparent. My hunch it is something about our affiliation with a out of state hospital network. Or someone just plain dropped the ball.

4 Likes

@great_lakes_mom I hope it arrives soon. My health system and another one I work with are waiting on the Moderna vaccine as apparently I’ve heard that neither facility has equipment for the colder temperature Pfizer vaccine requires.

I am not direct care though and my turn is rightfully way down the line.

The doctors and nurses in my family either have gotten or are getting the vaccine in the next couple of days. The hospitals are prioritizing vaccinations to those who treat COVID patients, are in the ER, spend a lot of time with patients or do procedures that risk being exposed to aerosolized droplets. So the anesthesiologists are being vaccinated before the pathologists, as an example.

1 Like

Another article about the uncertainty of whether and how much the COVID-19 vaccines reduce transmission of the virus to others.

The article suggests that scientists are optimistic that the vaccines will likely reduce transmission, but cautious because that has not yet been studied or proven, though there are some studies on the subject that are starting or ongoing that are likely to take some months to get results.

2 Likes

My son just received his vaccine at the hospital today; the second will be on 1.8.21. My husband still isn’t sure which of the hospitals he in on staff will give it to him first. He isn’t high priority, but should be able to get it soon.

6 Likes

My son also got the vaccine today, which surprised me, as he is a neurosurgery physician assistant. He said they were supposed to have an order to who gets vaccinated, but something went awry and it was open to anyone who showed up.

5 Likes

I think they had an order for the vaccines, but if they have them available they are just pushing forward with the next in line.

The Pfizer vials have an extra dose or even 2 in them, so say they had 100 nurses scheduled to receive the drug they now need 120 in line to use up that case; just move up another 20 people.

My brother went to a medical appt yesterday and they told him he’d probably get the vaccine in Jan. He has medical risks but I really don’t see how a medical clinic would know when their patients would get vaccinated when even the medical personnel haven’t been vaccinated yet. I think the number of the doses and who is up next and what category you are in are overwhelming to figure out the next in line.

2 Likes

From what I have read, it is fairly common for vaccines in multidose vials to have slightly more than the amount for the listed number of doses as a buffer against minor accidental losses. But now people are realizing that the extra amount that is typically leftover after using the listed number of doses makes up a whole extra dose.

1 Like

Moderna just got its EUA!! Help is on the way!!

5 Likes

That article really broke it down where my mom could understand. Thanks for posting it.

1 Like

The day after Pfizer vaccine, arm muscle soreness rated 2 out of 10, not enough to bother me. No other symptoms.

8 Likes
2 Likes

Here is an article about the new strain of the virus in the UK:

2 Likes