Inside Medicine. What Are You Seeing? [COVID-19 medical news]

I never knew there were DTaP AND Tdap vaccines. I looked it up, and

<<What is the difference between DTaP and Tdap vaccines?

Both DTaP and Tdap protect against the same diseases but are used in different age groups.
Babies and children under age 7 will always get DTaP. Children over age 7 and adults will always get the Tdap vaccine.

The DTaP vaccine contains full-strength doses of all three vaccines. The Tdap vaccine provides a full-strength dose of tetanus vaccine and smaller doses of diphtheria and whooping cough to maintain immunity.>>

I learned something new, thanks to CC!

5 Likes

Here is a lengthy article worth reading imo. I had no idea blab accidents are not that rare.

Reading this report has me really hopeful regarding how long the vaxes should provide protection:

4 Likes

That seems like this study:

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-021-03738-2

1 Like

Here is a preprint (not yet peer reviewed) paper with a comparison of neutralization of variants of COVID-19 by a small number (8 people, age 47-91 years) of J&J - Janssen vaccinated peopleā€™s antibodies. The authors are employed by J&J - Janssen.

Compared to B.1, neutralization was reduced the most against B.1.351 / Beta, followed by P.1 / Gamma. Neutralization was reduced to a lesser degree against B.1.617.2 / Delta and not reduced at all against B.1.1.7 / Alpha.

Note that this vaccineā€™s trials were done in places that included places where the B.1.351 and P.1 variants were circulating.

This paper also has a handy chart showing what mutations in the spike protein there are in each of several variants.

1 Like

Could you give a quick translation for the non-medical amongst us? :wink:

Basically, they checked whether antibodies in a small number of vaccinated (with J&J - Janssen vaccine) people were effective at neutralizing variants. In terms of neutralization:

B.1, B.1.1.7 (Alpha) > B.1.617.2 (Delta) > P.1 (Gamma) > B.1.351 (Beta)

B.1.617.2 (Delta) is the current variant of concern that is rapidly spreading, replacing B.1.1.7 (Alpha). P.1 (Gamma) and B.1.351 (Beta) were circulating in areas where the J&J - Janssen vaccine was trialed. B.1 was an early variant (ancestral to other B.1.etc.) that was presumably what most vaccines were aimed at.

2 Likes

Thanks ucbalumnus! Soā€¦looks like J&J is good protection against the Delta variant?

Probably at least as good as it was in the trials in places where the Beta and Gamma variants were circulating. A caution is that only 8 peopleā€™s antibodies were tested, although the results were broadly consistent when comparing across the variants.

1 Like

But meanwhile among the early vaxxed, talk of need for boosters.

Papers in Israel are saying 64% effectiveness against Delta. No big jump in serious cases, but people who were vaxxed back in January are getting ill.

1 Like

Thanks! Hopefully booster comes out soonā€¦

Assuming you mean boosters specifically for the newer variants?

Thatā€™s what seems to be discussed (and make sense?).

LIstening to Dr. Scott Gottleib today on CNBC (former head of FDA, current Pfizer and Illumina board member), Pfizer is pursuing two separate things. One is they will be starting a trial in August for a booster/shot that is specifically designed to work against Delta. Also, they are seeking approval for just a 3rd shot of the existing vaccine to act as a booster. But he spoke mostly of the idea of boosters being for people who were not only on the early side of getting the vaccine but the elderly in particular. It sounds like the breakthrough cases that are happening in places like Israel are primarily among the elderly (who donā€™t mount as robust of an immune response from the vaccines), were the first to get the shots, and are most susceptible. I did not get the impression they think boosters will be recommended for all this fall, but maybe more targeted towards nursing homes (patients there will be coming up on a year post-vaccine), etc. It is interesting to see how this might play outā€¦how they might come up with an age cutoff or other way to recommend who should get a 3rd shot.

11 Likes

Not directed at you, jolynne. I just donā€™t know how to post without it going to one poster.

All if this back and forth about varients, just put your mask on. Itā€™s not a big deal, or am I missing something? Sheesh.

Makes sense. Based on what I am seeing and reading about in Israel, the Pfizer vax is providing a good deal of protection against Delta. There are more breakthrus than anticipated and people are getting sick, but not too sick. Hospitalizations are not way up. The people getting ill are older and there was one death of an 80 yo vaxxed person.
(As a side note, politics plays into what we are hearing as well. There is a fragile, new government and the opposition is claiming it is not doing enough against Covid. Among the first to demand boosters was the former PM. I am seeing a range of numbers about how effective the vax isā€”none is as high as 95%, maybe between 64 and 80. Meanwhile, people do not want to go back to restrictions. An indoor mask mandate went into effect two weeks ago and I was the only one in compliance for the first week. A lot of blame is being put on people coming into the country so the airport is being more tightly controlled again. )

4 Likes

It will be a ā€œbig dealā€ if a variant shows up that can evade the vaccine or becomes very virulent.

The 1918 influenza virus that first circulated was a typical flu virus. Then it mutated. And millions died-and it affected the young and healthy more than anyone else.

Itā€™s prudent to pay attention to mutations.

4 Likes

Agree with this completely, and I think far too many are ignoring the importance of this.

When I said it was no big deal, I meant itā€™s not a big deal to keep wearing a mask indefinitely.