Inside Medicine. What Are You Seeing? [COVID-19 medical news]

The articles mention cytokine inhibition/anti-inflammatory properties, and also an effect on platelets that helps with the clotting problem with COVID.

2 Likes

@creekland, sending you a PM about Pulsatile Tinnitus - which I have, and am currently going through the diagnosis journey. Ironically, given the discussion about internet information, there is a Facebook group that has actually been hugely helpful in pointing me towards resources and the top docs in the country for diagnosis and treatment. Itā€™s been both a lifeline and a caring community for me while dealing with a condition that very few medical professionals know anything about.

4 Likes

@Embracethemess , was this a long covid symptom? Asking for a friend.

No it wasnā€™t long covid, it started in January 2020 for me. Although, there are some folks in the Facebook group who think Covid was a trigger for them. But most have had PT prior to 2020. You can PM me if your friend would like to be pointed to a forum for sharing info, it has been a godsend for me.

Tinnitus hits about 10% of the population. It can be very debilitating. It ended the flying career of one of my friends. There are very good treatment centers dedicated exclusively to tinnitus at quite a few academically affiliated hospitals. Mass Eye and Ear has one as does OHSU. :crossed_fingers:t3::crossed_fingers:t3:

Important to understand that tinnitus and pulsatile tinnitus are two completely different things. Pulsatile tinnitus is when you hear you heart beat in your head ( a pulsing whoosh), and is often related to a vascular issue rather than a hearing issue (although it can be caused by thinning of the bone around the ear.)

Sorry for hijacking the covid thread but I am passionate about helping people with PT get to the resources they need! I have already received several PMā€™s today! (And yes, it is possible that PT could result from covid, but right now any info about that is just anecdotal.)

3 Likes

I understand that well. The tinnitus treatment centers I mentioned will have deep experience with all iterations of tinnitus. OHSU houses the nations first tinnitus specialty clinic, started in 1976. Thanks for helping others! Iā€™m sure itā€™s been a difficult journey.

I have tinnitus and go to Mass Eye and Ear. My daughter had pulsatile tinnitus and after being cleared at MEEI as not having a ā€œhole in the boneā€, ended up at MGH neuro-interventional radiology and the ICU after a procedure. Yes, very different!

Back to the thread, I am interested in hearing if anyone has had the Moderna booster (1/2 dose) after two Pfizers. The difference is now 50mcg vs 30 mg mRNA where as original Moderna was 100.

I was afraid of a reaction because I am very intolerant of Miralax (polyethylene glycol) and did fine with Pfizer in terms of immediate reaction. The inactive ingredients are otherwise different in Pfizer vs Moderna. I am trying to decide if the larger dose is worth exposure to different inactive ingredients.

Pharmacies here are very busy. Once again, supply is a different issue from access to appointments, at least around here. Doses may be discarded for lack of staff or other distribution issues.

I received the Moderna 50mcg dose following two Pfizer doses. I had even less reaction to the Moderna booster than I did to my initial Pfizer, but I donā€™t seem to experience any unpleasant vaccine reactions, including Shingrix or flu. My arm hurt at injection site with Pfizer, but not with Moderna. Not really useful feedback given your condition.

I am curious how many original Moderna or Pfizer recipients are switching to the other one, apart from my issues.

On Monday I got Pfizer booster after two doses of Moderna back in Jan/Feb. Very little ache in the arm, and my only side effect was fatigue the day after, resolved with a very long nap. I was fine on Wednesday.

1 Like

oops wrong thread - I should have posted in the booster thread- but thanks!

On 10/26, the FDA advisory committee voted 17-0 with 1 abstention to recommend authorizing a version of the Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine for kids age 5-11. The FDA authorized use on 10/29. The CDC must approve before it becomes available.

This version contains 10 micrograms of mRNA per dose (1/3 of the other versions), has a different formulation to last longer after thawing, and is packaged with different color caps on the containers.

1 Like

just curious if youā€™ve read about, know anyone or have heard about this:

catching cv after being Vaxxed; and then catching it yet again.

can that happen? perhaps with a different variant? Or do you think that if you get a breakthrough case, you are pretty immune from getting it yet again? Iā€™d love to hear thoughts on this. thanks

There is a celebrity who claimed to have I, V, I in that order (I = infection, V = vaccination). However, have not heard about V, I, I sequences, although it is at least theoretically possible that someone with weak immune response may not be protected from future I by V, I, or any combination of V and I.

Some studies have found that those with I, V usually have very strong immune response (though the celebrity seems to be an exception), including antibody response against variants and SARS and MERS, but there does not seem to be much on those with V, I (the opposite order). Those who get V, I may tend to have weaker than typical immune response than most people with V (same with I, I versus I).

The bigger question isā€¦do we care, if itā€™s minimally symptomatic or asymptomatic? Personally, I wouldnā€™t. My goal in getting vaccinated is reducing morbidity and mortality. I donā€™t want it, but if I get it and have nothing negative to show for it, then the vaccine did its job.

9 Likes

Someone might care if a minimally symptomatic or asymptomatic infection were contagious and they were in contact with a medically vulnerable person who did not gain much immune response from vaccination.

1 Like

I care if the COVID organ damage and clotting issues are still issues even with a minimal or asymptomatic case. There was so much press in 2020 about what a horrible virus COVID is and damage it can cause. Once the vaccines were rolled out all that discussion dried up. Iā€™d like to know if the risk factors (both short and long term) associated with a COVID infection are still there even if youā€™re not hospitalized with COVID.

5 Likes

None of those things would count for getting it and having nothing negative to show for it.

The comment I was replying to was attempting to deflect from the massive success the vaccines have had. Imagine where weā€™d be without them.

You only took half of the context of what I said. Againā€¦nothing negative to show for it, means NOTHING negative to show for it.

3 Likes

With the V, I, I scenario, I would be wondering the method of diagnosing the second infection. Were there symptoms both times, or testing d/t exposure/travel? PCR with high CT value? Maybe just viral remnants of the first infection?

A recent TWIV had a mention of a study looking at immune responses of I then V comparing with V then I.
Iā€™ll try to find and link.

1 Like