Inside Medicine. What Are You Seeing? [COVID-19 medical news]

My heart continues to break for our overworked healthcare workers, and I wish they could all go on a giant vacation starting immediately!

But I think the new protocol is for people who are asymptomatic. I would think if someone is suffering from long covid, by definition aren’t they not asymptomatic? I now know and/or know of a ton of people who’ve had probably omicron. None of them are complaining of brain fog. Most had nothing or cold-like symptoms that quickly passed (I know there are certainly people dealing with worse, I just don’t know those people). People who have that kind of milder reaction that feel fine after 5 days and are not likely infectious—I don’t see why they would stay home after that period. Sure, people who can’t write their thoughts down shouldn’t be working in hospital, but people who are asymptomatic and had an easy case and are no longer infectious, I don’t see an advantage to forcing extra days of isolation. And the understaffing due to people on unnecessarily long isolation periods just adds to the burnout of those who are stuck at work with fewer coworkers.

1 Like

I agree. My point of view is more from the person stressed and tired, worried about bringing something home to the family, many have young kids. Now they themselves are sick and have infected their family. The exhaustion, stress, guilt, etc. With 10 days quarantine it gives them a breather to rest. Now they don’t have that - you’re cleared to go back to work. How are they mentally? The CDC says they should be fine. But many aren’t. There was another post earlier today talking about the burnout and how some HCW are hoping to catch COVID to get a break.

2 Likes

A semi related answer is that vaccinated people getting breakthrough infections are likely to become non contagious earlier.

For example, the NBA reduced its player quarantine from 10 to 6 days for vaccinated players who test positive.

1 Like

We’re about to test that notion in our household. Our visiting son, mildly symptomatic, tested positive Christmas morning. :grimacing: His fever peaked at 103.8 and has since broken. He’s nearly asymptomatic and will begin serial testing today. It’s been a little stressful, but nice to have him home. He stays in isolation…Star Wars marathon. :rofl: We mask universally in the house except when sleeping. We do meals and play games over FaceTime even though he’s just in the other room. :crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers:

7 Likes

Deleted

I hear ya. But it seems that if your colleagues are taking a “bonus” 5 days of staying home even if they are physically fine and not infectious, it leaves everyone else at the hospital being stretched further than necessary, which could increase the stress & exhaustion of those workers who never get infected and don’t go home to isolate at all. I feel like what you are talking about is -extremely-well-deserved-mental-health-days for our health care workers. I’m not sure that’s the purpose of isolation periods, but DO think it’s a good idea to provide ALL health care workers with extra mental health days as soon as it’s feasible. Like when a hospital/region is in a lull between waves (praying there aren’t many more waves that grossly affect hospitals), workers should be encouraged to take time off if they want. It just seems to me that it makes sense to preserve isolation as being about infectiousness, but allow people who don’t feel well physically to take sick time, and then people who are just stressed out to use mental health days when feasible–they all seem like different things to me. But I agree your message about people being utterly spent and needing recuperation time is spot on!!

1 Like

The problem is that shortening the quarantine is being driven from the hospital administration and staffing levels. Not at a human doing that job level.

It’s also I’m sure because pro sports have been effected. The overwhelming statement there (especially pro football) is next man up, no excuses, play when hurt and get back as soon as you possibly can.

Don’t forget our people who work in transportation. All those people who traveled now need to get home. And a stoppage in our transportation system would be a huge blow to our economy.

I think it’s a no win situation. Do you sacrifice patient care or worker health? In my extremely skeptical view, the bean counters won this one.

3 Likes

Remember these are asymptomatic positives. The guidelines were reduced because the evidence strongly suggests that if they are vaccinated and boosted, they shouldn’t be infectious after 5 days.

7 Likes

Just wondering, what is classified as asymptotic? I’m really not sure.

Is it absolutely no symptoms, none at all? A few sniffles? A head cold that abates after a day or two? That’s what I’m hearing from the vaccinated people in my life, few sniffles, feels like allergies or a short head cold and they feel better in a day or two. Would they be cleared to go back to work after 5 days?

I do think that it becomes a slippery slope but I do know that there is a need for those to get back to work. And 10 days was a lot.

We all went to work sick before the pandemic.

I guess I’m confused about the asymptotic part since it seems that outside of pro sports leagues, most people aren’t being tested regularly. Unless I’m mistaken. I do know that some school systems are, I know a teacher in New Jersey who is tested regularly. He was the only person I’ve met that had been.

1 Like

Despite what I’ve seen in Headlines The CDC guidelines seem to apply to more than just the asymptomatic:

• Stay home for 5 days.
  • If you have no symptoms or your symptoms are resolving after 5 days, you can leave your house.
  • Continue to wear a mask around others for 5 additional days.

If you have a fever, continue to stay home until your fever resolves.

3 Likes

Around here, the only school teachers being tested regularly are those not vaccinated…who got exemptions for some reason.

I think there are tons of unreported Covid cases because either people are asymptomatic and don’t test…or do a home test and those don’t get reported to anyone.

2 Likes

Yes. Completely normal.

But we generally went in sick with things that didn’t have as high a potential for morbidity and mortality of our patients and colleagues.

2 Likes

Actually, one plus out of this pandemic is that going to work sick just isn’t tolerated in most places.

I worked in a school. Kids got sent to school sick a lot. Teachers came to school sick. That’s not happening now because if symptomatic, they get sent home.

8 Likes

Here’s the release. It says if you are symptomatic, you have to isolate 5 days or until afebrile, whichever is longer.

https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2021/s1227-isolation-quarantine-guidance.html

1 Like

Not sure what point you are making.

A prior poster said “I think the new protocol is for people who are asymptomatic” and my point was that it’s not limited to those who are completely asymptomatic but ALSO includes those with resolving symptoms and no fever. So CAN have some symptoms and have new protocol apply.

So what are you saying differently in your reply? Am I missing something?

1 Like

103.8 is a rather hot fever that most would consider more than “mild”.

1 Like

I’m sorry. I missed the caveats at the end.

It’s a matter of semantics, mild symptoms, not mild fever. He didn’t feel hot though, so clinical finding as opposed to symptomology.

The good thing is that the literature is very clear on infectious disease and fever…don’t treat it. The body self limits to a max of about 105. It’s an important component of driving the immune system a shortening disease time. I was happy to see it that high, and happy to see it break.

1 Like

Interesting. I think the medical recommendations when my kids were little not to medicate until 101.3 and take something if it’s higher