Inside Medicine. What Are You Seeing? [COVID-19 medical news]

That’s probably the key here. We live in an area that isn’t overrun.

1 Like

As explained by @TexasTiger2 they are accurate in showing when you are infectious which is what matters. I see them as useful for a moment in time when spending time indoors with others, as well as to track when my D had a long exposure to a friend who later tested positive to make sure she didn’t turn positive herself (she did not). ETA: yeah, it can take a week to get a PCR here, so the home tests are a nice fill-in.

4 Likes

I know a lot of people test their college kids before they come home and few days after. My friend said, “he gets tested before he gets in the car.” :slight_smile:
I will be testing myself before I go see my mother or my grand baby.
Even with some false negative, it would be good if we could test ourselves everyday before we go out, especially for people who face off to general public.

1 Like

I think that’s probably the biggest key. If you aren’t going out regularly, then of course there’s no need for you to test. But I think you aren’t on target with the accuracy…there’s been a good discussion above about how accurate they are at identifying infectiousness. Therefore, they are incredibly useful to use right before attending a function with people you care about (or especially having everyone at the function test right before). Almost none of our mitigation efforts are 100% effective (not masks, not ventilation, not distancing, not window-opening, not vaccines, not hand-washing, etc etc), but rapid testing has proven to be one of the MORE effective mitigation tools we have, as long as people understand what they represent and therefore use them and their results appropriately. At this point, I absolutely would rather sit next to a person who had just tested negative with a rapid test an hour ago than sit next to the same person, untested, with a cloth or surgical mask on. Everything I’ve read makes me feel far more protected with their recent negative test result. Very useful!

ETA: We also regularly visit both my elderly mother and elderly father-in-law. Now with the prevalence of omicron and having active young adults in our house, I am so grateful to be able to test before visiting them. A really big relief to know I am almost definitely not infectious as I’m walking in their door.

2 Likes

Where I live we can’t get a reasonable turnaround time on a PCR test. We wanted rapid tests for some assurance prior to visiting older relatives for the holidays.

I would also like a few rapid tests on hand as public school starts back up this week - though admittedly, looking at our case counts around here, perhaps it’s a given that we Stringbirds are all getting COVID by the end of the week.

I have a friend whose daughter tested positive in Mexico before they were about to return to the States. She was vaccinated (but only recently boosted before their trip) but had symptoms I wouldn’t consider mild. They had to stay in Mexico but now their parents (all vaccinated and boosted at least 2 weeks earlier) have all shown symptoms (including fever) but they tested negative twice via antigen tests. Only their daughter had PCR test that confirmed her Covid infection. They’re less confident about these tests now.

3 Likes

This then begs the question of the issue mentioned earlier…the length of time a PCR test will show positive …long after the infections is gone. Compmom’s mother tested positive 95 days after the infection. So does this mean anyone who has ever had COVID risks not passing a PCR test?

I think Canada requires PCR tests for a return to country. French Polynesia will still accept specific antigen tests for entry. The US accepts antigen.

This is leading me to conclude to ONLY take antigen tests and/or avoid areas requiring PCR.

And where do the molecular NAAT texts fit on this spectrum of apparently increasing uselessness?

I have taken on the assignment of 'Walmart Page Refresher in an attempt to hit the 210.576 second window when the Binax tests are available for shipping.

Will be trying to shop for a number of people who don’t have the time to do this type of BS.

7 Likes

So the daughter would HAVE to stay but the parents could have returned to the US? Or does the US have a requirement (and a way to verify) that those exposed to COVID now have to stay in Mexico.

This whole thing is the epitome of my dog chasing it’s tail. He is very happy to do so. It releases some energy…but in the end he is exactly where he started from. sigh

1 Like

Yes, the parents could have returned to the US but they decided to stay with their daughter in Mexico so they can all return together.

On another group discussion, someone was complaining that their relative couldn’t return to their home country, I don’t remember where, but couldn’t because their PCR was positive, but it was during that recovered, post-infectious phase.

At least for Canada, it allows an exception to negative PCR test for entry:

4 Likes

I met my 6 day old grandson today. I had randomly bought a 2 pack self test a few months ago. I did one yesterday and the other this morning. I couldn’t live with myself if I hadn’t done due diligence before meeting him.

15 Likes

Do you need a test to go to the USVI? Friends just went to Puerto Rico and no tests required because it’s a US territory.

Lots of people won’t be able to prove they’ve had Covid if using at home tests. I asked S19 if Bowdoin needed some sort of proof and he doesn’t think so. He emailed the person in charge of the Covid task force and it sounds like they are just going to take his word for it. Not sure there’s anything we could do at this point anyway to prove he had a positive rapid five days ago. Curious if other colleges will require some sort of proof like a positive test from a lab.

1 Like

You bring up an excellent point about using unofficial home tests. I suppose if he had a PCR test now it might still show up positive.

A friend’s son is in the same position. COVID positive home test 12/27. Not sure what his school will accept to prove it.

One thought is to photograph the test results with the date somehow. Doesn’t seem like the schools have thought about how to address this situation yet.

Yeah too late for that. Threw it away. If he was at a bigger school I’d be concerned but he kind of knows the task force chair so hoping they’ll just take our word for it.

1 Like

Here’s the link - I believe it means all travelers, domestic and international. Plus, it’s changed since I last looked. Before it said we have 5 days prior to travel. Now it says, as of tomorrow, we have three days. With that it seems we can do antigen tests or NAAT.

The rules definitely keep changing.

So now I have a question… if we opt for a quick test, I assume that can’t still be a home test? With just three days (instead of five) I’d rather do a quick test.

https://www.usvitravelportal.com/

From the site:

Effective January 3, 2022, the window for taking COVID-19 tests for travel to the U.S. Virgin Islands will be 3 days prior to commencement of travel to the Territory.

Travelers arriving in the Territory on or after January 3, 2022, must submit COVID-19 test results dated December 31, 2021, or later.

This change applies to vaccinated and unvaccinated individuals, including those who were vaccinated in the USVI.

##### All Travelers

All domestic travelers 5 years of age or older, and all international travelers 2 years of age or older, and persons in transit to another destination, who enter the U.S. Virgin Islands by air or sea are required to use the USVI Travel Screening Portal and get cleared to travel to the USVI.

Domestic Travel (includes U.S. mainland and other U.S. Territories): Domestic travelers must submit a negative result from an antigen or nucleic acid amplification test (NAAT) (e.g., RT- PCR) COVID-19 test taken within 3 days of travel.

1 Like

Puerto Rico also now requires tests from everyone, or gives the option of testing there:

https://www.travelpulse.com/news/impacting-travel/puerto-rico-updates-covid-19-entry-requirements.html

From the site:

Puerto Rico has tightened its entry requirements heading into the holidays, shortening the window for pre-flight COVID-19 testing and announcing new restrictions on travelers visiting restaurants and attending large events.

Starting Monday, December 27, all passengers arriving in the U.S. territory via domestic flights must show a negative test result taken within 48 hours of arrival regardless of their COVID-19 vaccination status. Otherwise, individuals will be required to test upon arrival or be subject to a fine. What’s more, unvaccinated travelers must quarantine for at least seven days upon arrival on the island, regardless of whether they have a negative test result in hand.

1 Like

I just think it’s so risky to travel overseas right now. So likely to end up positive while away and then stuck for two weeks with all of the headaches of rearranging travel and missed work and school and the expense of it all.

4 Likes