Inside Medicine. What Are You Seeing? [COVID-19 medical news]

One other note about the vaccine responses found in the study referenced in post #5260: the antibody responses for MM and PP peaked early (T3 = 42 days) and were on a downward trend later (T4 = 108 days, T5 = 185 days), while they were more steady for J over time, although at a lower level.

2 Likes

UK study found that longer interval between doses of Pfizer vaccine resulted in higher antibody levels after second dose.

Thatā€™s always a battle in developing a vaccine. In general, closer doses ramp up immunity faster, but at ultimately lower levels. Itā€™s a battle between priorities where both are important.

1 Like

Glad to read that Paxlovid supply is going to be ramped up, as well as more test to treat sites.
Also glad that Jha is on board.

White House working to make Pfizerā€™s Covid-19 antiviral pill more ā€˜widely availableā€™ - CNN

3 Likes

Immunologists have known that for a long time. It was on podcasts (but censored elsewhere) back in 2020.

I recall seeing it in multiple news stories - donā€™t think it was censored nearly as much as an, ā€œoh well, we did what we did and we got some immunity out there quickly.ā€

1 Like

Nobody censored that! Tony Fauci spoke very openly about it, as did Paul Offit, Peter Hotez and many others. It was a widely know that it was a battle between faster ramp up and durability.

6 Likes

My sister in laws mother also had a stroke 24 hours after booster. Her doctor believes the two are related. Covid is risky and the vaccines can be risky. Everyone should make their own choices but there needs to be transparency.

4 Likes

I agree @southerncalimom
I hope she is doing well. My mother has mostly recovered but she wonā€™t be signing up for any more boosters.

One of my fears throughout all of this is we are going to have a generation of kids with No or weakened immune systems. This article would suggest itā€™s starting to show that. Itā€™s not definitive but I am not surprised.

There may be a few - perhaps with adults too, but I seriously doubt it will be a generation. At least one kid in Alabama was 1 (with the range of age from 1-6), so itā€™s not like they were going to have had a ton of exposure before the virus they caught anyway.

I wonder if thereā€™s something that mutated with that specific adenovirus making it more lethal to the liver.

1 Like

Maybe not a generation but a large amount of young children who have had no chance to build up a strong immune system. We are already seeing more than a few or this issue of increased cases of hepatitis would not have even made the news. There are definitely going to be consequences to some of the decisions made in the last 2.5 years. Iā€™m not commenting on if the decisions were right or wrong but I think people are naive if they donā€™t think there are other unintended negative consequences.

You certainly seem to be commenting on the rightness of whatā€™s been done.

5 Likes

No doubt there are many things the medical community will have to deal with in the future from this pandemic - all the seen and unseen effects from Covid, itself, being the biggest. I just read a headline saying nearly 60% of Americans have had it at least once including 3/4 kids and adolescents. If whatā€™s been seen in the past as effects with kidneys, cardiac, lungs, and more continue on, thatā€™s a lot of problems down the road.

Only time will tell what else gets added (like if immune systems being less challenged becomes an issue). Iā€™m not looking forward to getting a cold again. Iā€™ve rather enjoyed not having them, but the next one could be a doozie. At least I play in the dirt often, getting exposure to some bugs there.

1 Like

No. Actually Iā€™m not. Decisions were made under new circumstances. Nobody could have possibly understood all of the consequences of the decisions that were made as we were in unknown territory. But I do think we need to consider that most decisions have unintended consequences
Please donā€™t tell me what you think I am saying. What I was saying is exactly what I said. I am not commenting whether these decisions were right or wrong.

2 Likes

CDC COVID Data Tracker based on lab testing suggests 57.7% seroprevalence from infection as of February 2022.

CDC COVID Data Tracker based on blood donations suggests 28.8% seroprevalence from infection as of December 2021 (when the lab testing was indicating 33.5%). It also suggests 94.7% seroprevalence including both infection and vaccination.

1 Like

That sounds promising. As far as I know, H and I are just in the vaccination positive group.

Iā€™d love to see Covid in the rearview mirror. Unfortunately here in PA, both cases and hospitalizations are ticking up again (sigh).

1 Like

I think that everyone involved with this realized that there were, as Rumsfeld would have said, unknown unknowns. Sorry though that I read in more than what was there. :hugs:

1 Like

For those concerned about risks of transmission on commercial airline flights:

(The study in question was in March 2021, so before vaccination was available to everyone and with less prior infection. Immune response from vaccination and/or prior infection would likely give some reduction in risk.)

The page also notes that airplanesā€™ ventilation systems, which change the air 10-20 times per hour, are not running when parked (i.e. while boarding), and such places as crowded boarding areas may not have as good ventilation.

2 Likes

Itā€™s interesting that it was done for COVID, as this was already studied for other respiratory diseases. I didnā€™t re-read it, but the best I can recall, you have to be sitting in the same row, or an adjacent row to an infected person to catch what they have.

https://www.pnas.org/doi/10.1073/pnas.1711611115