Instate tuition options [for a US citizen living overseas]

Kindly advise which state from the below acceptances (Engineering )has a chance for the child being instate for tuition purposes in sophomore or junior year at least.

Background: Our child is a US citizen and was born when we were in US for work commitments.He has been studying abroad from a long time.So he is out of state for tuition in all states.He is a registered overseas voter in Texas.

He has acceptances from these state flagships

Purdue

UIUC

UT Austin

Georgia Tech ( Deferral)

Waiting for decisions from private universities ( they don’t have instate / OOS tutions I believe)

Before we make a final decision , we would like to know which state out of them will be easier / possible to claim residency during undergraduate degree to figure out the four year costs.

Internship/ job opportunities in each city are also important factors for us.

From our research it seems Texas residency could be a possibility provided certain conditions are met. Want to hear from you all if that is a possibility.

Unlikely to happen at UIUC and Purdue.

@srparent15 @MaineLonghorn Can you address UT-Austin and possibly getting in-state tuition after the first year?

OP, please also consider putting in apps to U Missouri and U Utah. They are both still accepting apps (although you may not get maximium merit at this point) and offer the easiest paths to in-state tuition. Good luck.

9 Likes

those are some great acceptances! Well done!
but - states are very very protective of their resources. None of those will give an in-state tuition discount even after a year or two of college. You’ll need to thoroughly read each school’s guidelines on it all.

3 Likes

You are correct that private schools have one tuition structure - it is the same for all students, regardless of residency. As to your main question, I’m not sure. A lot of states have really tightened up their residency requirements to guard against students getting in-state tuition after 1 or 2 years at the school. To have any chance I think the student must be independent (i.e. not claimed on parental income taxes). If parents are not US citizens I’m not sure how that might be determined.

1 Like

It’s almost impossible to get in state tuition OOS. I think the parents need to move there, live there for at least 12 months, and the student needs to show they moved there for a reason besides college. Two of my kids lived in off campus housing after freshman year, we paid OOS tuition.

3 Likes

Indiana wouldn’t be possible by either 2nd or 3rd year:

"How do you qualify for residency in Indiana for tuition purposes?

U.S. citizens or permanent residents who are 21 years of age or emancipated are eligible for resident student status after they have been physically present in Indiana for twelve consecutive months (prior to the first day of classes) without the predominant purpose of education."

1 Like

Isn’t easy to establish in-state residency in Texas, wouldn’t count on it.

https://admissions.utexas.edu/residency

1 Like

Will look into these
Thank you

1 Like

Thank you.
He does have a 10k merit scholarship from Purdue. But a bit skeptical to count it for the four years , after reading about weed out classes and first semester stresses in almost all the engineering schools

Yes true . I haven’t found any information for such cases either

1 Like

What is the GPA threshold for the scholarship?

1 Like

Exactly. That’s why want to be reasonably sure before committing

1 Like

Honestly I would not count on getting in state tuition at any of the schools on your list. If they aren’t affordable for your family you may need to expand your options.

5 Likes

Presidential scholarship
3.0 GPA

For what it’s worth, that’s a very doable GPA at Purdue! I would not have concerns. Your student must be very strong academically as Purdue does not give out very many merit scholarships anymore.

3 Likes

Yes
So far Purdue’s figures are doable for us.
Could you please, if possible, tell how are the opportunities for internships in the area.
Purdue being a college town , does it affect the opportunities

I replied about UT-Austin in this thread: Can you get In-state tuition [ex. TX and CA] from OOS? - #2 by skieurope

2 Likes

Take second hand info on the internet for what it’s worth, but we do know someone who managed in TX. The biggie is you can’t claim the student on your taxes and they need to buy a house. Unfortunately that is usually not financially feasible for many.

2 Likes

In my opinion Purdue‘s strengths are with their career services programs, internships and co-ops. The university has partnered with many companies and there are many many opportunities in West Lafayette for students. That said, my daughter has worked all over the country and has had her housing paid for by her companies. So, your street student won’t be constrained geographically.

1 Like

Great
Thank you for sharing your personal experience

1 Like