Institutionalism?

was discussing the pros and cons of BA with parents ahead of M10 & this topic came up. More specifically, institutionalism at big schools like Exeter and Andover. I’ve heard from students and people online that it is a “sink or swim” environment and you cannot get help unless you really ask for it. in addition, are the academics more institutionalist/grind type of environment or a hard-working but creative/innovative type of space? I couldnt really pick this up from my interactions with students and teachers. Coming from silicon valley, this is something important to me (and I’m sure its important to a lot of others). Anyways, would love to hear thoughts of potential students and current community members. Thanks!

2 Likes

Not sure I understand what you mean by institutionalism. Are you asking if boarding schools have tough academics? Or are you asking if there is a collegial environment where everyone works hard together?

As with anything, I think you’ll find that each school has its own culture. Some schools are tougher than others. Even within the same BS, you’ll find teachers who are easier graders than others.

My kids were in two different private schools (one as a Border, other as a day student). They were completely different from each other. The son who went to boarding school found a sink or swim environment. He adapted quickly.

Not sure I agree with the notion that you can’t get help at Andover/Exeter. We attended the accepted students day at Andover and found that students can get help in a variety of different ways. From daily unscheduled writing sessions at the library to formal tutoring. Students enter boarding school with varying levels of skill, so they want everyone to succeed.

2 Likes