Intellectual Environment at UA?

<p>In your experience, is there a general feeling of intellectual curiosity on campus, or are students more concerned with simply completing objectives? This is to say, are students generally interested in academic discovery or just getting an A on the test? Or is it polarized, in that there’s a group of students focused on academics and another focused purely on their social lives?</p>

<p>This is a thought-provoking question, and I’m wondering why you’re asking it - what is it about UA that is still a ?-mark for you. I believe you will find all kinds of students at UA - those who want 1 big party and those who will cure cancer, and everything in between. There is not a homogeneous group-think there, IMO. Although, one might be tempted to think so, based on what you see on TV during game-weekends! ;)</p>

<p>You’re going to find academically focused students and students focused primarily on their social lives at most every school. As such, UA has a mix of both. It really depends on the type of people you hang out with and the type of people you typically interact with as to what you’ll see more of. For me, I tended to have friends from a lot of different groups and would generally hang out with whomever I felt like hanging out with depending on if I wanted to go to a academic lecture, watch a sporting event, go out dancing, etc. Some friends were members of multiple groups while others were others were only in one.</p>

<p>My suggestion is to have friends with a wide variety of majors and interests and not be overly concerned about their SAT/ACT scores, current GPA, age, or if they’re in the Honors College. Provided one is open to new people and actively tries to meet new people, they will find friends who share similar interests.</p>