Interested majoring in music?

<p>Hello, </p>

<p>My name is Leta, and I am a current music student at Loyola. I was once at the point of making the important decisions about which school to apply to and which music program was the best fit for me while preparing for my auditions. Through tons of research and my visit during an audition day at Loyola, I realized that no other school fit me like Loyola. In my Junior year now, I am very pleased with my decision to attend Loyola. My favorite part of the College of Music and Fine Arts is that I can experience both conservatory style music classes in conjunction with the liberal arts common curriculum and electives. Plus the classes are very rigorous, and I feel like each grade I receive reflects the efforts I put into the class.</p>

<p>That is a brief snapshot of my experiences in the College of Music and Fine Arts at Loyola University. If you have any specific questions feel free to ask, and I will answer them to the best of my ability! </p>

<p>Best, </p>

<p>Leta</p>

<p>My son auditioned there on 12/3. He has a high school friend who is a freshman there. I put him on a plane by himself [from Boston], he took the airport shuttle right to the campus, and made a weekend of it, sleeping in his friend’s dorm room, doing the audition, etc. He liked it when he and I visited in April, and his opinion seemed to go up from there after this trip.</p>

<p>Just heard today my son’s been accepted.</p>

<p>Congratulations on your son’s acceptance! The experiences at Loyola only get better as a student on campus. It sounds like a great fit for your son.</p>

<p>Loyola is a great music school with a strong reputation - my son is deciding between FSU and U of South Carolina.</p>

<p>Hi Leta -</p>

<p>A couple of questions.</p>

<p>1) My son (current HS junior sax player) is interested in a BA in music while getting a second major in another field (currently he is thinking math). Would he still be able to perform in ensembles (particularly jazz) or do all of the spots tend to be taken up by the performance majors?</p>

<p>2) How is Loyola for a non-catholic?</p>

<p>@Mdndad - Response from a current freshman I happen to know, who I believe is a double major – BA in Music and BA in something else – and who is also non-Catholic:</p>

<p>1) as a current student at Loyola and a member of the jazz band, I can attest to the fact that there are both performance majors and non performance majors in the group. The auditions are done anonymously behind a screen, so anyone has a chance to make it into the top group. Since there are 3 levels of jazz bands, it is almost guaranteed that anyone who auditions will be able to play in one of them.</p>

<p>2) the only time I’ve encountered the Jesuit tradition was the prayers in the opening ceremony, and those were optional.</p>