Interesting sentence in my acceptance letter.

<p>This isn't a thread for me to brag about my acceptance, but something in the actual letter intrigued me. It reads:</p>

<p>"You were selected from approximately 22,000 applicants for one of only 2,000 spaces in our freshman class."</p>

<p>Do the math.That's a 9% acceptance rate. When last year the overall admissions rate was 38%. Can anyone explain this? In other information I was accepted to the College of Engineering.</p>

<p>I laughed when I read that in my admissions letter. It's called deceptive advertising. There are only 2,000 spots in the freshman class, but MANY more applicants were accepted because Miami knows that not all who are accepted will eventually enroll. Yes, 22,000 applicants did apply, but THOUSANDS more than 2,000 were accepted. Basically, it's very misleading.</p>

<p>It's a true fact. They just forget to tell you that UM needs to accept several thousand more to get 2,000 to matriculate. But that is why AP Stats is such a great course. :)</p>

<p>I thought that at first and it was confirmed when I checked the common data set and found that about 2000 attended. Thanks.</p>

<p>Go check the common data set.
It's actually about 7,500 admitted.
Since it's so expensive UM has a terrible "yield rate"
"If" they accepted the same 7,500 students this cycle then the acceptance rate would be:
22,000 / 7,500 = 34% acceptance rate.</p>

<p>The only wild card is the economy.
If they expect more students to turn down their offer if their college savings plans have tanked then expect them to actually accept more than 7,500 to make up the difference.
so even though they may have had 4,000 more applicants this year the acceptance rate may actually have remained flat.</p>

<p>38% is the admit rate for last year, using the common data set. You are right, if I used the information and applied it to this year, then it would be 34%. Congratulations, you can also do math.</p>