Interlochen vs. Brevard

I am a freshman horn player in Texas, and I was recently admitted into Interlochen and Brevard. Does anyone know what I should do?

These are both very good orchestra-based programs. You can’t go wrong with either.

Interlochen is high school (and younger) kids only, and also tends to be stricter with more rules and uniforms. Accommodations are in pretty rustic cabins. Some students really benefit from this extra structure; this will depend on your particular needs.

Brevard has both high school and college, which can be inspiring as a high schooler. You will have a whole lot of older mentors to look up to. There are less rules/structure and accommodations are less rustic from what I know.

2 Likes

If you were admitted to the high school at Interlochen, you will be housed in dorms, not rustic housing.

The rustic cabins are only used for the summer camp programs.

1 Like

This is for the summer program right? And which specific programs?

Yes, I was admitted to the WYWS at Interlochen, and then at Brevard the winds play in both the band and the orchestra

Two great programs from which to choose. My son attended both in the past, Interlochen as a young high schooler and Brevard in early college. Similar programming with focus on large and small ensemble playing, studio participation and individual practice with lessons.
As @TooManyViolinists states above, Interlochen age range is to end of high school. There is very little interaction between HS age students and younger students. The camps run quite separately. At Brevard, I believe some HS students work alongside the college musicians. I can’t speak directly to this because my son attended towards the end of the pandemic closures when Brevard had a program limited to a small group of college age musicians, due to the need to socially distance.
Accommodations at Interlochen are cabin dorm style, yes fairly rustic. Brevard had somewhat more spacious housing, I believe 2 to a room in pods of several rooms sharing a bathroom.
Both areas are really beautiful!
I would recommend you take a look at the faculty for your instrument and perhaps view some recordings of the ensembles.
I hope this helps.

1 Like

I attended Brevard many moons ago (mid 80s) as a 15 year old pianist. I was in Theory A with the college kids and also in the choir with many opera singers. Good thing, as I didn’t sing lol.

But I had to laugh. Good to hear they’ve upgraded the living conditions. They were quite rustic when I was there! Also my sister went when she was 12–13 (early 80s) When I looked online, it seems they now cap it at 14. We both had a blast.

1 Like

Thank you all so much!!!

1 Like

You are young to go to these great programs so try to keep in mind which would be more fun! It is great to spend weeks with like minded kids who love music so enjoy your summer!

1 Like