Internal Transfer into Mays

Howdy y’all. I’ve been placed as a general studies major for my first year at A&M. I plan on transferring into Mays school of Business for a Finance degree. I have done some research and I can imagine how difficult it must be to get in. I hear they only accept about 75 students and it’s mainly based on GPA. Can anyone give me an insight on the difficulty of getting in and/or how o can maintain a high GPA? I’m really determined to get in.

Yes, you are correct it is very difficult to transfer into Mays. How to get high GPA … pre-planning - everything from spacing your classes out to your liking (whatever that may be) to study-time. Check out your classes & see which professors give what % of grades and their reviews. If you need help, pursue it before you get yourself in too deep. Time management is the key to success - know your own limits & don’t forget to schedule in some fun time too or you do burn out.

I’d suggest joining a Mays organization - there are many! Go to the fair and see which groups you’re interested in. Some require interviews & applications, some are just interest based. It will help you to stand out when you are being reviewed if you have a membership in an organization. Vast majority of leadership positions in organizations on campus are business majors. It also serves you well when you apply for internships & jobs.

Yea the difficulty kinda frightens me. I wouldn’t say I’m putting all my eggs in one basket but I surely need and want this finance degree. It’s what I want to pursue and it’s definitely what’s going to help me pay off my student debt. From my understanding, the minimum requirement is a 3.5 but from previous years the cut off line has been like a 3.75 or something. I’m aiming for at least a 3.8 gpa which I’m sure is very difficult, however, I’m a good student and I believe I can use the resources around me to obtain that gpa.