Internal Transfer into VT architecture

<p>Hello,
I was recently accepted To Virginia tech as an incoming freshman. Although I applied as an architecture major, like many I was accepted into my second major choice (undecided/university studies). </p>

<p>Virginia tech was my first choice so I want to attend, although I want to know my chances of internally transferring into architecture for my second year. </p>

<p>I have read their site, and I felt that it looked doable but I want to know how common it is for people to transfer into the BArch program. And maybe an estimate of how many apply for a transfer and how many of those gain admittance.</p>

<p>This is a hard decision for me because I want to attend VT , but I also want to study architecture. If there is any more information I could give let me know. Thanks for any help!</p>

<p>Curly, good question about how many students decide they want to try the internal transfer into arch option. I would like to know that as well. The internal transfer link on their website does not mention anything those figures on the FAQ part of the site. </p>

<p>If you want to pursue that option you apply in January of your second semester and then they grant you an interview to discuss why you want to become an arch major. Being given a spot in the summer lab design studios is highly competitive. If you are granted the opportunity to do the summer design labs, you must commit to two summer sessions. Then at the end of those, you will find out if you a. will be allowed to enter as a second year arch student, b. enter as a first year arch student, or c. remain a university studies student. I knew two kids who entered as internal CAUS transfers. Both were very talented artistically and had high academic stats. At the end of their summer design studio sessions, they were both placed as first year ARCH majors, which meant they were at VT for six years. </p>

<p>It is a big commitment obviously, both in terms of time and cost. Just make sure that you are aware of what you will need to do and factor in the information before you decide. Best of luck to you!</p>

<p>@KandKsmom
Thank you very much! It makes me a little hopeful that it seems people have done it before. I am planning a tour soon and I’m hoping to get a chance to talk with someone from the school directly, because it is a lot of time, money, and hard work to put into something that might not work out. Thank you so much!</p>

<p>During my son’s first semester freshman year studio, there were two students who the professor allowed to sit in her class. Eventually the students began working on some projects on their own out of class thus showing the professor thier ability, and by the end of the semester were given permission to sign up for studio 1 in the spring.
The common theme here I guess is showing the desire and understanding the committment. Those students sat in on 6 hours of class many days for no credit, but it paid off.</p>

<p>LynnVB,
Thanks! It does look like it takes a lot of dedication, but it seems to pay off.
I’m 90% sure I will attend VT and transfer into their architecture program if possible although I was accepted to another school to begin directly in architecture I want to choose VT because their program is very well respected. Thank you for motivating me and giving me hope!</p>