Internal transfer

I recently got into UT with a major in the college of education as a spring 2022 transfer. I however am currently in CIS at UH and have been considering to do CS, computer engineering, or MIS. I was wondering what I would need to do to get into the CS department at UT as an internal transfer with a 3.7 gpa. I have been apart of some It clubs and look forward to doing them at UT if i attend. Is it worth the transfer to UT? And what is needed to get into CS or Computer Engineering at UT?

If you truly want to do CS or Computer Engineering at UT, just know that internal transfer at UT is incredibly difficult and inconsistent, and 4.0 students routinely get denied (I have three friends personally who each got denied from CS, MechE, and ECE, applying to all three with 4.0s). A 3.7 is a strong GPA, but when it comes to transfer, it’s basically almost 4.0 or bust. Of course, other factors play a role, and some people can make it with less, but in general, I’m just trying to say that CS and ECE especially at UT are notoriously difficult to internal or external transfer.

If you truly want to do CS or CompE, I believe the general advice is don’t bank on going to UT with the intent of internally transferring into CS/ECE unless you are absolutely sure you want UT above all else, and make sure you’re okay with the possibility of graduating without getting into CS or ECE at UT. UT may have a great program, but UH is still a very good school, and I’d personally recommend either staying or checking other schools’ options.

1 Like

I want to add that this isn’t to discourage a UT transfer, as I don’t want to make it sound like a decisive no for your decision. If you want to come it’s a great school, just be prepared with all your options, or even ready to transfer out of UT if you don’t make CS/ECE once you’re here.

Hello, there! I recently was admitted for Environmental Engineering, Class of 27, but I was wondering how difficult it would be to change to the Statistics and Data Science Major.