International Business from University of South Carolina

We visited Darla Moore School of Business and my son is interested in the International Business program. He is planning to apply to the Honors Program instead of waiting until he completes the first year. The Honors Program admission is quite competitive. We are from out of state. How is the merit for kids who get into the Honor’s Program. What does the school like to see in those kids applying to the program? I am also interested in knowing about the safety of campus and the town. Thanks

2 Likes

Mine got in two years ago. At that time was a in state waiver plus $500.

Honors has a cost - $1150 a year I believe. There was no merit for Honors so your cost structure with the fee is opposite of what you think.

My child chose Charleston over U of SC Honors.

We were just in Columbia though for an orientation. She is doing the Wash Semester and U of SC is the host school.

Columbia is right there and is not known as safe per se. But we walked at night and I felt fine. I did notice the campus was not well lit so I found that not good. Also, a trendy area kids go to, 5 points is a bit away from campus. - like a mile

I think like any school and city there will be crime but students need to act smartly - even at those rated safest.

Niche, btw, gives the school a B- for safety which is not bad at all. Many top schools are in the B/C range.

1 Like

How does your child feel about the safety on campus and in town? Thanks for your help and response.

She doesn’t attend. It was her #2 choice. As I said she’s in Charleston which she loves. We make her carry a birdie and she FaceTimes us when walking alone at night from the library. As a parent I don’t love it.

Kids need to be aware and not looking at their screen. Sadly my kid is on the screen.

I wouldn’t not go to U of SC due to safety but on visits to future schools you should walk the areas at night time.

2 Likes

Thanks for the information.

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. If you’d like to reply, please flag the thread for moderator attention.