International Student at UA

<p>Hello everyone,
I have been lurking around CC for more than a year now.
This is my first post. </p>

<p>Please let me introduce myself.
I am an international student from Vietnam, currently studying in Singapore.
I am seeking undergrad education in the US, and would need some financial assistance.

Previously, I have only been looking at many private schools that are affluent enough to give need-based aid to internationals. Those range from big brands like HYPS to some small LACs such as Skidmore (NY), Union (NY), Trinity (CT), Bard (NY) etc.
UA was completely off the radar. </p>

<p>In Singapore, students, in one way or another, have been trained from young to follow rankings somewhat blindly.
We generally equate prestige to superior academic instructions, second-to-none student development and countless job opportunities.</p>

<p>In the context of Singapore, admissions into local universities are 90% based on national exams, and are highly competitive.
Those who graduate from “unknown” colleges overseas can easily be deemed as lacking academic caliber, having to rely on parents’ money to “buy” a degree somewhere else. The fact that 2 out of 3 public-funded universities in Singapore appeared in the top 100 of QS world ranking helped to propagate such notions.
Some would go as far as saying only the 20+ that are ranked above the National University of Singapore are worth attending.</p>

<p>I myself did not recognize and fully appreciate the merits of schools that are not so well known in this part of Asia.
But, that was before I found out about UA’s merit scholarships and started reading more about the school here on CC.</p>

<p>Parents, alumni and current students of UA really did a wonderful job of promoting the school. :slight_smile:
I learned much about the welcoming southerners, the beautiful campus and dorms, and opportunities that are open to those who strive to do well.
I can easily defend my unpopular choice of school now, confidently so :slight_smile:

I’m sorry if that was too very long winded. I have some questions pertaining to international students :)</p>

<p>I have ACT 34, SAT II Maths2/Chem/Bio 800, and GPA A (4.00) - based on an evaluation of my Singapore transcripts by World Education Services, who UA directed me to.
I am in the process of applying to be a chemical engineering major, and I believe I would get the Presidential Scholarship and the Engineering Scholarships.</p>

<p>Could someone kindly tell me some information about opportunities for internships, co-ops and jobs prospects after graduation for foreign aliens?</p>