International student college acceptance help

Hey people,
I was raised in California for pretty much my whole life, but due to certain personal issues my family was forced to relocate to India during the middle of the 11th grade which really sucked, considering the fact that the Mid- term exams were a month away in India and that school was going well in California. Now I’m entering the 12th grade in a few months and I’m determined to return back to California for college.

I’m planning on applying for either Pre- Medicine or Chemical Engineering.

I’m thinking of applying to all the UC’s except Merced and Riverside, however my personal preference is UC Davis or UC San Diego. But now that I’ve come to India I have no idea what the admission process is, or if I’ll be accepted or not. Here are my statistics including my stats here in India:

Unweighted GPA: 3.83 (4.0 in 11th, 3.63 in 10th, Weighted 3.83 in 10th)
SAT score: 1460 (One attempt)
100 hours+ of volunteering work at the local Library in 10th
Programming Club and Maths Club member in 10th
AP Test score for World History AP: 3

My school in California didn’t allow us to take any AP’s in Ninth, and the restriction was only one in 10th.

My dad still lives in California by himself, I say this because apparently if you have a close relative who lives in California, you are required to pay instate fees instead of the out of state fees, which (according to another friend) may decrease my chances as the main reason why colleges accept out of state students is for the money.

I’d appreciate any kind of help .My life has been a complete mess ever since I moved and the stress that has been boiling up in my brain of whether I’ll get into UC’s is literally breaking me down.

1. Are you parents divorced or just living separately?

2. You derive your residency based on where your parents live. If divorced, you need to move to CA before your 18th birthday to get in-state residency.

3. Pre-Med is not a major. You can pursue any major but you still need to take the Medical course requirements to apply to Medical school.

4. OOS students have an advantage in acceptance rates for the UC’s, but if you have CA residency you will not be at a disadvantage since the UC’s accept the majority of their students from California. Which Cost of attendance would your family rather pay $32K/year as an in-state or $65K/year as an out of state applicant?

5. UC’s are need blind meaning the ability to pay is not considered in their admission decisions.

Below is a link from UCSD regarding residency:

https://students.ucsd.edu/finances/fees/residence/minors-guardians.html

The UC application opens in August 2019 for the following Fall 2020. You have until November 2019 to submit.

You look like a competitive applicant and you will not be penalized for not taking AP’s based on your HS’s policy.

To answer your questions:

1. No my parents are not divorced, we’ve been living separately for almost two years now.

2. I believe Biological Sciences is what I will be taking according to assist.org.

3. My family would rather pay the instate 32K/year.

By the way, I’am a U.S Citizen.

I’ll definitely look into the residency link. Thank you for your response!

Assist.org is only for transfer students which you are not??? Not sure why you would use it unless you are trying to determine which courses in India will fulfill the a-g course requirements as a Freshman applicant.

If your parents live apart and you live with your mother, you will still need to show a physical presence in California so you can pay in-state fees. You need to come to California 365 days prior to you attending any of the UC’s to get instate residency for tuition purposes.

Since you’ve been gone only for a short time, and you didn’t move to a different state, you might be considered as being temporarily absent, in which case you might be qualified for in-state tuition immediately. You should check with a UC financial aid office for more clarification.