international student english placement

<p>I'm an incoming international freshman. I had 730 for SAT CR and 700 for Writing. Am I gonna get to take the English placement test that the locals take or do I have to take the English as a Second Language thing?</p>

<p>I went to high school in Singapore, took the A-levels. So yeah, that was all English. A senior of mine said all internationals have to take ESL though. Strange. If they say English is my second language then I can't take English 100 @.@</p>

<p>From the UW website it appears that all foreign students for whom English is not the country’s primary language need some kind of test in English. Your score on that test should dictate which courses you need/can take. Email the dept in charge at UW and discuss with your advisor when you arrive.</p>

<p>My H is from India- excellent English skills. When son was signed up for kindergarten many years ago we had forms to fill out for the local public school because a parent had English as another language- son was already reading at least at the second grade level and entering early for his age. The system is not perfect, it tends to err on the side of not misssing anyone who may need help at both local and college levels.</p>

<p>You have to jump through hoops and then get the individualized plan best for you. With such great SAT scores I would discuss the need for English 100. Some parents have suggested it but my impression was it is not needed. Your advisor will be the person to ask questions of. Perhaps you have someone you can email before your arrival.</p>