International student targeting T20s [3.85 GPA; 26 ACT diagnostic, 1140 SAT diagnostic]

Demographics
International student

• State/Location of residency: Argentina, Buenos Aires.
  • Type of high school: Small private high school
  • Gender/Race/Ethnicity: Latino male, straight.
  • Other special factors: First generation

Intended Major(s)
Finance and economics

GPA, Rank, and Test Scores

• Unweighted HS GPA: 3.85 (approx.)
  • Weighted HS GPA (incl. weighting system): I don’t have it
  • Class Rank:
    Math: Top 3
    Econ: Top 1
    Entrepreneurship: Top 1
    Physics and chemistry: Top 6
    All of the other courses (14 more): I average Top 4/5
  • ACT/SAT Scores: My first 2 diagnostic scores (without prep)
    ACT: 26
    SAT: 1140

Coursework
My school does not offer any of this but it does offer the IGCSE exams and I may take AP exams by myself (statistics), I will take the CAE and I’ve already taken the FCE and the French A2 exam

Awards
None

Extracurriculars
1 Internship working on a boutique Hedge fund
1 Internship working in a FinTech Startup
1 Internship working on an non profit related to environmental management economic policies
1 Internship at a bank treasury
1 Internship at a clinic finance division
1 Research competition at national level (Might win an award)
1 Club leader at my school
1 Class representative 3 years in a row
1 Organized school fundraising for under resource public schools
1 I teach to friends and classmates about different class topics when they’re in need
1 French self studying
1 History self studying
1 I have my own finance learning web targeted to help people in need improve their finances
1 Pitch deck preparation for investment competition (Might be awarded a lot of money to manage)
1 Market updates weekly and monthly to people that follow me (10k+ followers in twitter)
1 My own portfolio that I manage
1 Got paid for by a start up to manage their socials and promote their product
1 Reading
1 Working out
1 Courses: 10 in total

Essays/LORs/Other
Essays: Haven’t started yet but I will in approx. 5 months
LORs: Haven’t asked for them but I have a good relationship with my teachers

Cost Constraints / Budget
None

Schools
Upenn (Wharton): 5%
Columbia university: 5%
Emory university: 15%
USC: 20%
Boston university: 15%
I don’t know what type of way I’m applying like yet

• Safety (certain admission and affordability)
    I do not know

• Likely (would be possible, but very unlikely or surprising, for it not to admit or be affordable)
    I do not know

• Match
    Upenn

• Reach
    Upenn

UPenn is a huge reach for you with your GPA and these standardized test scores.

I’m not familiar with some of the tests you mentioned so I’ll tag @MYOS1634 for their opinion.

4 Likes

Keep in mind I just started working on the Standarized exams, I plan getting that to 1500 or a 35, still don’t know which one im going to take

Even then, UPenn won’t be a match. For you, or for any of the other 50,000+ applicants.

Since you don’t have cost constraints, definitely go ahead and apply. But also pick some schools where you’re more likely to get in. And of course, have a backup plan in your home country.

5 Likes

Yeah I thought match meant another thing (My mother tongue is Spanish), my bad.

In any case, your original post needs editing. You listed UPenn as both a match and a reach.

Ok…I have to ask. Why are you only targeting top 20 colleges? Until you have a junior year GPA, it’s a bit premature to even guess your chances.

I will say…since you are full pay that might be an advantage at schools that are need aware for admissions. But please make sure your parents can really pay $80,000 a year for your college education. You will need to complete a certificate of finances showing that you have the resources at the ready to pay for your schooling here…in order to get a student visa. This can include money you already have and approved loans….but it cannot include potential sources of money that are not yet yours.

How can I edit it sir?

Hello Thumper and thanks again for your input. I’m sure my family can pay for my college tuition thankfully, I know that if you need scholarships that lowers your chances a lot, as for my junior year GPA at the moment it’s 3.9, I believe that I will end up with a 3.7/3.8 GPA at the end of the year, as for freshman and sophomore year, I had a 3.9 and a 3.85 respectively.

Answering your question, I haven’t yet finished my list, I started from the top schools and I’ll finish with the safeties.

1 Like

Tap on the pencil and paper icon at the bottom of your post.

I’m going to be bold here. You will find picking top schools to be VERY easy. It’s much harder to find those sure things for admission that you like. I’m going to suggest you leave the reach schools for the time being and try to figure out some sure things first. Then build your list UP.

8 Likes

Are you applying for Fall 2024?

If so, do not wait 5 months to start your essays. Work on them over the next 2-3 months. Apply as early as possible and for any schools offering EA, apply by those deadlines.

2 Likes

No, I will end my senior year of HS in December 2024, so I’m applying for 2025 (Normal starting time, so august 2025)

2 Likes

Single digit acceptance rates for many of those.

I would look more at the T20-T50 schools for econ/finance. Many of those colleges you think are “lower” ranked are still reaches for you and may still be better than staying in your country.

6 Likes

There are schools in the top 100 which could have excellent programs in your areas of interest.

3 Likes

I agree, I’ll be adding more in the upcoming months, I just started out with the reaches that’s why my list is full of them

Do you have recommendations?

I know very little about finance and economics. Perhaps @AustenNut has some sure thing suggestions for you as a full pay international student.

1 Like

For the study of economics, Trinity College (in Connecticut) might represent a good reach possibility for you. You could prepare for a career in finance through a second major or minor in mathematics there. Should your standardized scoring increase markedly from your diagnostic levels, look into the University of Richmond as well.

4 Likes

Here is a link to other schools like Trinity College…

2 Likes