International Students and Diversity

<p>HI,
I was accepted by Purdue a while ago for its mechanical engineering program. Eventhough I am a US citizen, I sometimes consider myself as Taiwanese, as I grew up in Taiwan. I have heard that Purdue has the most international students among top university, and I am wondering what that exactly mean; 6% of international students isn't a lot campare to UCs.</p>

<p>I have a few questions..
How is the diversity in Purdue? Is it like asians eat together, Whites play together, and African Americans chat together?</p>

<p>When I choose to go to Engineering Program, does that mean there will be tons of Asians, something like 30%? and only a few girls? (do any one knows the ratials?)</p>

<p>Lastly, I would like to ask any accepted international student to reply me with your hometown and major.</p>

<p>just want to know some new ppl :P</p>

<p>Thanks</p>

<p>Eric Wu
msn: <a href="mailto:eric2xp@hotmail.com">eric2xp@hotmail.com</a></p>

<p>Okay, I was a student there for my freshman year(Fall 2008-Summer 2009) and I’m Korean. I was born in the US like you also. </p>

<p>The diversity at Purdue is very high. The percentage may be small but you have to factor in the Asians who were born in the US and not International. The student population is very accepting of those of other ethnicities since Purdue had International students for quite a long time now. A lot of asians are usually together because they don’t socialize with the white kids(Caucasians). However, there are a lot of kids like myself who are friends with plenty of white kids. I was also in a fraternity on-campus that was pretty much all white. As long as you try to be friends with others then you will be fine. You can see a lot of interaction between students when you go to the Co-Rec.</p>

<p>To be honest, I don’t really see that many asians in the Engineering Mall. I see a lot at Krannert but I do know a good chunk of asians are also in Engineering. Engineering first of all doesn’t have many girls along with Computer Sciences.</p>

<p>Actually, my friend goes to Purdue. She is an American born Korean. And! She is majoring in chemical engineering. She really loves it. She says that it is very accepting in racial matters. As of late, she is dating a Caucasian boy…</p>

<p>@Jimgotkp‌, what about actuarial science program? does it have many international students too? I’m considering Purdue, but the large international student body scares me. :(</p>

<p>What about a large international student body scares you?</p>