Internet/WiFi

<p>Anyone elses student complaining about WiFi and even the hard wired internet speeds? We are considering getting an air card for DS because of it. I just don’t think it should be that bad on a college campus. </p>

<p>We know what the speeds are, had DS do a speed test on his computer. Can’t tell you off the top of my head, but they are not very good.</p>

<p>The speeds should be very good. No complaints from my son. </p>

<p>I’ve used the internet many times on campus, no problems, but I haven’t used it this school year yet.</p>

<p>I’m trying to remember…are kids supposed to use Res-Net when in dorms, but something else when on campus away from dorms? If that’s the case, then maybe the problem is trying to use Res-net while away from dorms.</p>

<p>also, has he contacted the IT office and asked?</p>

<p>He shouldn’t be needing an air-card. </p>

<p>What are his friends saying?</p>

<p>I have seen a few complaints on fb pages too. I will ask him if his roommates are having problems too. </p>

<p>Sent from my DROID RAZR using CC</p>

<p>From what I am reading on fb site, they are making a change in the wireless they use. Not 100% sure that info is accurate, but maybe that will help. </p>

<p>They are making changes, as the new wireless network is named “UA-WPA2” and it was up when move-in started, and on 9/1 they were to take down the other WiFi networks on campus, but my S tells me the PSK network was still up as of a few days ago. There is some info here:</p>

<p>[News</a> Center | OIT - The University of Alabama](<a href=“http://oit.ua.edu/oit/news/]News”>News – oit.ua.edu | The University of Alabama)</p>

<p>My S hasn’t complained about the performance to me though. But, he does have a 4G LTE phone with Verizon and tethers his laptop and ipad to the phone for internet from time to time, so there may be an issue he hasn’t even mentioned to me.</p>

<p>What kind of speeds is he getting from tethering? We had ds do that, and it was pretty slow too. </p>

<p>Is the new wireless network campus-wide, including DORMS, or will the dorms still use Res-Net?</p>

<p>T-Town has 4G LTE available on Verizon, but I don’t think any other carrier has true 4G service there yet. There is a pretty dramatic difference in speed between a 3G device and a true 4G LTE device. Resulting speeds on tether depend on a number of factors, including carrier, phone, etc. Also, if you are not officially paying for a tether package, they can throttle you.</p>

<p>UA-WPA2 is either going to be or already is campus-wide. I believe it will eventually eliminate ResNet wifi and PSK wifi. The new WPA2 WiFi network uses RADIUS authentication, which basically means that unless you are faculty or have a myBama account, you are not going to be able to use it. I don’t know what their plans are for guest access at this point. But, wired connections in the housing rooms continue to function (where available).</p>

<p>Forgot to add that in almost every circumstance, regardless of where you find yourself in the world, you should try to use an ethernet (wired) connection instead of a WiFi connection as it is generally faster and more reliable. If your student has a wired connection available to them in their room, use it (unless it is an iPad, etc). </p>

<p>Despite the best of intentions, WiFi can quickly become quite congested.</p>

<p>he is using wired in his room, and we have Verizon Wireless. Husband works for them. We were thrilled when they turned up 4g in tuscaloosa last year. And we added the hotspot to his phone for him. </p>

<p>He was using it wireless last night, and husbad going to recommend tethering to him today to see if he can get faster speeds out of it.</p>

<p>WPA2 and WPA-PSK are both staying; it is UA-Public and UA ResNet that were supposed to disappear earlier this month, but still remain. UA wants everyone to move to the more secure connections (WPA2 and WPA-PSK), but the IT department is not wanting students to switch to WPA2 as it is harder for them to troubleshoot. Last year, WPA-PSK was a staff-only connection, but the password was posted on MyBama. </p>

<p>My wireless speeds have been okay, but the connection will suddenly stop every 30-45 minutes and I have to switch networks. I normally use WPA2 and switch to WPA-PSK when the former is not working.</p>

<p>As I have unlimited 4G LTE with Verizon Wireless (corporate plan), I rarely use WiFi on my phone. Additionally, the system UA has running WPA2 is not compatible with Android 4.0, so I have to stop by Gordon Palmer Hall sometime and see what IT can do to fix that.</p>

<p>I talked to my S last night, and he said the wifi performance in general was abysmal. All but useless in the residence halls, and only marginally better in the Ferg. He said his LTE on Verizon has worked fairly well, except at the stadium on game day. VZW needs to pull in more COWs (No, those are not Auburn Majorettes) but rather Cell on Wheels.</p>

<p>I don’t have tremendous sympathy for OIT switching to WPA2. They brought those troubleshooting headaches on themselves with the CloudConnect they are trying to use.</p>

<p>SeaTide: Try removing the “connection software” from your android device and then “forget” that connection on your 4.0 device. Then, reboot your phone. After rebooting it, just try to join the WP2 network using your myBama username and password. This worked on my son’s Razr Maxx (4.0) but did not work on his Samsung tablet (also running 4.0).</p>

<p>rolltide90- thanks for the info on the razr maxx, that is what my son has. I will pass that on to him too. :)</p>

<p>My husband builds COW and COLTs for VZW, and he said the same thing. They should pull them in for game day. I thought that VZW was putting in additional coverage in Denny last year. Maybe I was mistaken.</p>