Internship and JOb PLacement for Engineering Students

@lisa6191 - love it! welcome to the UA engineering cheering section! hip hip hooray!

I just wanted to clarify my apparent downer comments about the co-op office at UA, even tho I did give a disclaimer :wink: and my experience only relates to aero
please do not think for a second that my son’s decision to attend UA was a mistake. @lisa6191 brings up a great point: at the early stages of your college decision, it is easy to think that UA is just too good to be true, and you are probably searching for anything negative that will tip the scale away from this opportunity for a tuition-free education. “He would have been equally successful at pretty much any school.” That is exactly true of so many of our students.

So, for those grappling with the ‘why UA engineering?’ question, consider your student’s success as a given. Take it off the table. Look at all of the other great things here and allow your students to thrive. If that includes a co-op, so much the better! :wink:

Hi, yes, I’m an UF alumni and my DD is beginning her 2nd year at UF (Industrial Engineering).

That is survey data, so every graduate may not have responded. You can use College Navigator to view the number of degrees awarded by major. In 2013-2014 UA awarded 417 BS degrees (75 Masters, 20 Doctorate) in Engineering.

http://nces.ed.gov/collegenavigator/?s=AL&ct=1&ic=1&id=100751#programs

The ASEE (American Society of Engineering Education) website supplies a lot of info on different engineering schools/programs. I’m sure you’ll find it interesting. Search the online profile section.

http://profiles.asee.org/

The website was down this morning, but hopeful it will be back up later today.

UA provided this info for the ASEE profile (a lot of schools do not).

http://profiles.asee.org/profiles/6474/screen/19?school_name=The+University+of+Alabama

Thanks to the internet, the need for career placement services and on-campus recruiting is greatly diminished. The motivated student can search and apply for any job or internship, anywhere in the country, quite easily. Most interviews are by phone and skype. DS is a senior in electrical engineering. He landed an internship in NY after his soph year, with a defense contractor that had never recruited from UA. His resume got their attention, and his phone interview landed the gig. This past summer, he got an internship with a major national aerospace/defense company at their Maryland facility, again through his own effort. This company also did not recruit at UA, though there were other UA interns in his group. After accepting that internship, he was contacted for interviews by three other major companies he had applied to. Most companies are happy to consider good candidates from any accredited school, even if they don’t actively recruit there. He is now waiting on a potential job offer to their engineering leadership development program. Fingers crossed, he should hear soon.

BTW, he has not attended the last few career fairs, as they were unworkable with his schedule. While the fairs are not totally necessary, they are certainly helpful. They really should have evening hours, so as not to conflict with classes. Instead of 11am to 4pm, how about 2-7 or 3-8?

For many UA students, co-op is not appealing since it means missing out on a fall football semester. That’s a big deal for some.

My son got the best of both worlds - since his co-op is right in Tuscaloosa he got to go to the games during his work semester and since the co-op extends his graduation, he’ll get to buy a 5th year of tickets at student prices. :slight_smile:

@Chardo You make a good point about internet diminishing the need for on Campus recruiting. I guess I was focused on that because of when I graduated, 1982, that was necessary. I need to rethink my position for sure. :slight_smile:

@Gator88NE That site is very interesting. What I see is that Alabama is on par today with OSU, ISU, UMN, Purdue. The change in profile and level of discrimination regarding acceptance is stark and the number of enrollees has increased by 71%! Admit rate in 2010 was 96% and 61% in 2014; yield was 36% and 52%; that could be the significant scholarships for high stats OOS.

The improvement is incredible on the low end (25th percentile). Congrats to the University of Alabama!

2010 Stats:

Undergraduate

New Applicants

New Undergraduate Applicants

A. Number of undergraduate applicants to the engineering college: 2,298
B. Of those in (A), how many were offered admission? 2,209
C. Of those in (B), how many were enrolled in the fall? 785
Percentage of entering students (excluding transfer students) ranked in the top quarter (25%) of their high schools: 74%

Newly Enrolled Test Scores

Scores Reflect 75th to 25th percentile

SAT

Math Range: 700 570
Reading Range: 660 510
Writing Range: 650 500
Combined Range: 1350 1090

ACT

Math Range: 31 24
Composite Range: 31 24

I just want to extend the gentle caveat that it’s important to know YOUR student. Yes, it’s true, if you’re an exceptional student (like @mom2collegekids’ or @aeromom’s or @lisa6191’s, et al.), you’ll no doubt make all kinds of incredible opportunities for yourself, whether you attend UA or another school.

However, by definition, not every kid is exceptional. My comments are directed to this larger group.

MY kid was not going to get admitted to MIT or Caltech or Princeton. He WAS admitted to Penn State for engineering, which is probably more like the schools @CyclonesGrad is looking at, but even in-state it was more expensive than UA once we factored in the scholarships.

If you are the type of student who is going to get a 34-36 on the ACT or 1400-1600 on the SAT (CR/M) without preparation and are applying with all kinds of accolades to elite colleges, then you are likely competitive for the elite UA programs, and something like a co-op might not be a big deal. HOWEVER, if you’re just the “average” honors student at UA, a co-op could be a lot more important when it comes to finding a job after graduation. Especially if you’re hoping to return to your hometown in another part of the country.

My kid had high stats but didn’t apply for any of UA’s elite programs (he likely wasn’t competitive anyway) and didn’t come in with any AP credits because his school didn’t offer AP classes, so he won’t be double-majoring or learning Mandarin Chinese (or something equally compelling!) on the side. For him, to be competitive in our area once he graduates, the co-op makes a lot of sense. We didn’t push it, but suggested he look into it, and he decided on his own to go that route. Only time will tell if it pays off for him once he graduates in 2019 (yes, it will take him five years to get his degree, so he won’t be graduating with many of his classmates), but it paid very well and has been an excellent experience so far. He’s also been prepared since he chose UA over Penn State that there was a strong possibility that he’d only be competitive for jobs in the South after he finished his schooling with only a bachelor’s degree.

The co-op does mean an extra year of paying for housing, and we had to buy him a car earlier than we’d planned, but the one-year savings on attending UA over Penn State more than covered the cost. His co-op is about 90 minutes from Tuscaloosa, so it was a bit of a logistical challenge to find him housing for this past summer, but it worked out. He’s planning (as of now) to commute from T-Town for his spring and fall semesters, but we’ll figure that out when the time comes.

I’m not saying that if your student doesn’t go the co-op route that he’ll have trouble finding a job after graduation, but I do know there are UA families whose kids have struggled to find engineering internships over the summers, especially if they were looking for opportunities closer to home. And I do wonder, if when they’re competing with graduates of their own in-state flagships, etc., after they’ve completed their degrees, if it may be more challenging to find a job if they don’t have some good internship or co-op experiences already under their belts.

Just things to keep in mind as you’re weighing your options. UA offers tremendous opportunities to its engineers, but I want to be careful we don’t over-sell the program.