Internships and resume boosters for hopeful future career in comedy writing?

Hi! I’m a high school senior who is committed to Wesleyan University for the fall as a film major and I have a huge (though far-fetched) dream of becoming a comedy writer for a late night show (SNL, Tonight Show, etc.). And as that is obviously no easy task, I want to get started and get ahead as soon as possible. So basically my question is, as a pre-frosh and as I enter college, how do I make myself stand out? What extracurriculars or internships should I set my sights on to better my chances? What can I do now? I am willing to put in the work! I just need some guidance on where to put it.

Thanks in advance!

I suggest that you do some linkedin searches such as and look up folks profiles on articles like this below. You might also find an alum and reach out and explain your desires. And finally, when you get to school, see if there’s a club/group in the area and go discuss your ideas with the career center and find out the best way for you to make your mark.

Then of course, you’ll be able to apply for internships on many shows/production companies, etc. but likely not before college.

Best of luck.

comedy writer late show linkedin

writer Saturday Night Live linkedin

SNL Adds Ten New Writers for Season 47 (vulture.com)

1 Like

Thank you!!

Places like Second City in Chicago have comedy writing workshops. See if they have online classes to take also. I know a student who is going to be a lawyer and she did it due to interest but also helped her in her general writing skills also.

https://www.secondcity.com/courses/chicago/general-information/?gclid=CjwKCAjwrpOiBhBVEiwA_473dBiwwR_j1_bL-OZxdoLZMG11ECO-lp8DYRz46lcOgWIeSVGFWj9PbBoCtCUQAvD_BwE

1 Like

Also lots of local improv in your area might have classes also. Taking improv classes in general would help in your writing and find what works and what doesn’t. Making it on Saturday Night Live is a dream as a writer and of that easy everyone would be doing it.

Also once at school see what student groups for improv there are and even in the surrounding city. Actually open mike nights can be helpful. Maybe find a student comic at one and write some material for. If there is an acting department there is usually a student driven division that puts on their own plays etc. See if you can write for that. Take every opportunity to write.

1 Like