Introducing CC’s new Head of Community: CC_Sorin

When I returned to College Confidential as Head of Community, I quickly realized I needed another pair of hands. So it was exciting to bring back CC_Sorin, who has years of experience at CC and is an excellent community manager. As soon as he rejoined the team, we picked up right where we left off. This past year has been a wonderful growth experience for us both as we’ve learned more about how to effectively guide this community.

As Sorin has taken on more responsibility on CC, it’s clear he’s been acting as co-Head of Community. Thankfully we make a good team and the two of us often have similar ideas of how to handle situations and what projects we should take on next. A useful rule of thumb is that if someone is already doing a job, it’s important to recognize their contribution with a title change. I could not be more pleased!

As a corollary, however, I’m stepping down as Head of Community. Sorin is the right person for that job now, so it’s time for me to pursue other opportunities. I’ll still be around to consult (especially on technical matters), but for day-to-day community management, Sorin is the person to contact.

In some ways, I don’t imagine a lot will change at College Confidential. As I said, Sorin has pretty much been doing the work without the title. As we’ve talked about the last year internally, we’ve noticed that our most effective projects have come when we empower our community:

• We revamped the Essay Feedback process based on suggestions from members who are enthusiastic essay reviewers.
  • The new Decision Day Calendar helped students know when to expect admission decisions. It was powered entirely by dedicated members of CC who have watched this process play out for years.
  • Working with school partners, we’ve hosted AMAs (Ask Me Anything) where students can get answers directly from admissions officials and current students at the school. Our community can ask tough questions in addition to softball pitches.

Sorin has been the driving force for these initiatives and we are discussing other ideas that he will pursue in the coming months. It’s going to be exciting to watch!

6 Likes

Congratulations @cc_Sorin

7 Likes

Sorry to see you go.

@CC_Jon, I know this is not goodbye, but will definitely miss having you around as much. Jon was not only my biggest supporter, but the greatest advocate for the CC community. I hope to follow in your footsteps.

The biggest strength of College Confidential has always been the community. While I’ve been around for many years now, I’m extremely grateful for the opportunity to serve in this new capacity.

Jon, a big THANK YOU from everyone here for your great work and leadership and we hope to have you around as much as possible.

7 Likes

For the CC community, as always, make sure to tag me or private message me in case you need any help or assistance.

3 Likes

Congratulations Sorin!

And thank you Jon!

3 Likes

Thanks for this update @CC_Jon . Best of luck in your endeavors. Congratulations to @CC_Sorin !

5 Likes

Thanks for the update.

2 Likes

Best of luck, jon.

2 Likes

Are you still going to be working for CC?

Yes. I’m going to be part-time on CC.

1 Like