Introducing CC's refreshed brand

You’ve probably already noticed a few changes around the site. We are incredibly excited to finally share the new CC brand. There are three major changes you’ll see on the site:

1. New brandmark.
  2. Improved font.
  3. Updated colors.

We interviewed users last fall, which helped us understand what makes College Confidential unique. At the core of our value lies the community. Students come here because of the wealth of knowledge and unbiased feedback they find in the forums. When people talk about College Confidential (in the interviews, on our forums and externally) they often use the abbreviation “CC”, which inspired the final design:

College Confidential Brandmark

Next our designers and developers looked at the font we are using. There were many considerations and we settled on Inter, which is a sans-serif designed for a wide variety of screens. It resembles the previous font, but is more legible at small sizes. This is important because an increasing number of visitors are using their phone to browse and participate on the site.

Finally, we chose colors to use on the site. In particular, we wanted to ensure the site is accessible to users with visual disabilities. The slash in the middle of the brandmark when through several iterations on color alone. Our designers carefully considered not only what colors are pleasing aesthetically, but also the contrast needed to make them visually distinct.

We sent an email to registered users to talk about our refreshed brand. I won’t repeat it all here, but I do want to quote part of it:

At the heart of CC is YOU, our community.

With your voice and your experiences, we are able to uniquely bring people and college knowledge purposely together.

We have been with you for 20 years, and we stay true to our unwavering commitment to help you make empowered and informed decisions about college and your career aspirations.

That’s why we’re proud to share with you — the refreshed College Confidential, your gateway to real, unfiltered guidance to higher education.

In my experience, communities aren’t excited about change. For the forums, this is largely a cosmetic change. But it serves a larger purpose. After moving the forums to the new platform, we looked at the other parts of the site:

When people come to these portions of the site, they might very well miss that there is a large community of people excited to talk about specific schools, financial aid, how to get into a career in nursing and so on. When we do link to a forum that’s relevant, the page people land on doesn’t feel like the site. So today brings us closer to combining the power of the CC community with data-driven school search and expert guidance.

There’s also a technical reason. Until today, each part of the site existed on a different server in the backend. That means changing even simple things requires more work than it should. Consolidating the design has allowed us to consolidate our technology too. That will free up resources to improve college search, tighten up the user experience on the forums and even revive the mobile app.

1 Like

Congratulations CC. Love the new logo!

3 Likes

Any chance the font will return to black instead of gray? It’s black in the reply box but gray once you post.

5 Likes

Generally good, I think. I particularly like the change from Montserrat to Inter—Montserrat is more “elegant”, I suppose, but Inter seems better suited to the overall purpose of CC. My one reservation, though: If accessibility really is driving some of these changes (as it should!), then why in the world go for a lower-contrast grey-on white rather than black-on-white for the body of forum posts? (And, poking around the site, bloglike items as well?)

This is particularly puzzling given that (a) the forums are a text-centric part of the site, and (b) most of the CC website uses black-on-white.

4 Likes

Love the changes except the font color.

1 Like

Thanks for fixing the font color!! :partying_face:

3 Likes

Thank you for fixing the font color so quickly…and I can now see a difference between my read and unread threads!

But for some reason in this change, I’m getting a list of “unread” posts most of which I have already read!

How do I easily get to the latest post on an account with 1k posts?

And woohoo…my read threads are now in light blue and the others in black!

This was a great upgrade!

3 Likes

I’m about to transfer soon so probably the next few months is going to be the last time I use this site but thank you! Also I think the new CC logo looks really nice and clean.

2 Likes

I genuinely love the new logo! Congrats, College Confidential!

3 Likes

Like the cosmetic updates but wish those fixes would take the back burner to actual performance issues. Long threads are still locking up on my phone, I still get messages telling me I’ve already posted the same thing that takes up the reply screen, and loading is still slow and jumpy.

2 Likes

I was totally mystified by the meaning of the new logo. I don’t see forward slash I see division sign and it looks to me like a shrinking C. Like less info than before!

Also my tabs are dark on Firefox so the logo completely disappears except for the faint slash. It not as bad as the NYT’s logo, but pretty close. If you had a white background on the logo it would work for me.

I liked the previous font better. This one seems clunkier.

I like the new font of the site.

1 Like

The logo looks like one C hitting the other C with a ruler :woman_shrugging:

4 Likes

Also, Jon, the last logo may have been “boring” but at least it was obvious what the site was about even with just the CC name. This? I’d have absolutely no idea what it was about if I just saw this symbol on a random page.

By the way, regulars don’t have change just to hate change. We hate BAD change. It’s driven away many of the regulars, myself included, but it’s been made repeatedly clear that we weren’t valued anyway.

4 Likes

I like this new redo of this site. I find it easy to access things. The admins have been very responsive to user concerns…responding very quickly and fixing many things since the rollout.

The screen hopping around is still an issue.

The logo really doesn’t matter to me as long as the site name is stated, and it is.

Heh. I was wondering how long it would take for someone else to see it. :wink: One of the very early designs looked even more like a ruler. The slash was red and a bit wider, which didn’t help. We tested the toned down design with several people. None of them saw it as a ruler, but once you see it, it’s hard to forget.

That reminds me, my daughter (who is 8) came up with a logo design of her own:

I asked her what the eyes were for and she told me, “They aren’t I’s! They’re Cs!”