Iowa SSTP 2023

Results for SSTP 2023? I got in as an alternate, CS from CA

accepted machine learning - online from CA

I was accepted for biology/genetics. If anyone here has attended, how was it? Are the professors and students cool?

Could you share your stats? Do you have research experience in ML? Thanks.

Alternate for Neuro/Chem. I don’t think they send any rejection letters just alternates though. Has anyone got off the alternate list?
Stats:
10th Grade, NC
AP Calc BC (A+)
AP Bio (A)
AP Physics C: Mechanics (A+)
AP US History (A)
Honors English 10 (A+)
Honors Spanish 3 (A)
Essay was mostly a stream of consciousness about various things I am interested in researching.

My son was accepted to Dr. Toor’s lab, which I believe is Electrical & Computer Engineering. He’s a junior and did COSMOS last summer. 3.94UW/4.29W at a selective boarding school with fairly strict grading, 1550 SAT fall of 11th, will probably be NM Commended, no national or even state awards for any extracurriculars or competitions.

Rejected by MIT RSI and BU RISE, 4 other programs TBD but he hasn’t been asked to interview anywhere so he’s not holding his breath. He’s just relieved that he will have something decent to do over the summer.

1 Like

Applied for CS, was accepted to Dr. Demir’s lab, which is environmental engineering. Is it alternate? Also, they don’t allow the student to contact to the professor so I don’t really know what I am going to work on. How selective is this program?

My son has not heard back yet?os the SSTP admissions rolling?

I was accepted to biochem/molecular bio. I also got into matching for BU RISE, but I’m gonna drop that bc the deadline to commit is the 10th.

SSTP sent all (I think) of their acceptances and rejections/alternates today around 1:30

How do I know whether I got alternate or not? Do they say that in the email explicitly?

You would’ve gotten an email with the subject SSTP: Alternate

I know they accept roughly around 90 students but how many do they alternate?? I got alternate and was looking to see what my chances were of getting off (applied EE/CS 1st choice and bioengineering 2nd)

By getting alternate, do you mean they didn’t give you 1st choice nor 2nd choice?

1 Like

I think they give everybody who didn’t get accepted alternate

honestly i have no idea :sweat_smile:… but this is what they said “We are pleased to inform you that you have been selected as an alternate… we could not match your research interests with a research group at this time… There are no further steps you need to take at this time. We will contact you if a position should open for you in SSTP.”

but from the looks of it they didnt have an available spot for my preferences.

i dont think thats true actually. i do know a person who got a rejection letter but dont know any further details

2 Likes

congrats! when’s the deadline for deposits, cuz I got alternate and would like to know when waitlist decisions are gonna come…

1 Like

Deposits are due on the 10th. Last year when I was waitlisted they told me that I was not getting a spot on the 23rd, so stuff fills pretty soon. Hopefully it goes your way!

1 Like

How competitive is the program? Is it a real research experience or more guided pre-determined projects