Iowa young writers studio 2022

I noticed that no one had made a thread for this year so I thought I could start one where applicants can chat and help each other

4 Likes

Which session are you doing? Online or in-person?

1 Like

would prefer in person, but since i’m an international applicant, it depends on the covid restrictions and all that

1 Like

what about you ?

Thanks for making this thread, I’m also applying to the Studio this year! I would prefer in-person as well. For the transcript upload on the application, do you know if it is required for the school to submit it, or can the student just submit it?

i think the school needs to submit it. That’s the impression i received from their application procedure

1 Like

Thank you!

What core course are you planning on taking? I’d like to do Creative Writing, but I didn’t see an option on the application for Fiction/Poetry/Creative Writing to specifically select Creative Writing. Do we get an option to choose if we get accepted?

No, the three are combined. I’m sure it will b fun!

I’m applying for in person, session 1 :slight_smile:

1 Like

my first preference would be poetry and then if i don’t get that, creative writing.

anyway guys i submitted my application today !! all the best to everyone who applied as i’m sure everyone put their best foot forward and learnt a lot about themselves in the process

Yes! Fingers crossed we all get in :))

1 Like

hey good luck to everyone! i attended the program last year when it was held online and it was still a really fun experience

2 Likes

Hey guys, I am a current participant in the Iowa Young Writers’ Studio’s Spring Session! If you have any questions about my experience or application, I’d be happy to help in any way possible! Just let me know!

3 Likes

Yes! I’d love to hear about your experience!!

1 Like

I’m in the Creative Writing Program, and I can certainly say that I have learned SO much during these past few weeks. It has been super enjoyable, and the workload is bearable, considering what I am doing outside of class. My one piece of advice is to approach the essay unconventionally. Basically, don’t start it by saying, “I wanna go to IYWS, blah, blah, blah.” Also, I think mentioning some specific works and authors you’ve enjoyed reading in your essays can help reinforce your passion for writing.

2 Likes

yay i ended up doing that!

3 Likes

oh the decision has been postponed to 8th april, looks like many people applied this year. I’m so excited and nervous about the results !!

1 Like

thank you for saying this. makes me a bit confident about my essay

Where did you get that info? Thanks!